• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

What will the NFL do?

Goodell, presumably with the full knowledge and blessing of the owners, wants a squeaky clean NFL. He wants to do this to keep the product pure so the NFL can earn the maximum amount of money. This is what motivates his actions, I think.

So what will he do with all of the recent troubles that blemish the face of the product he is responsible for?

- Aaron Hernandez
    - Heckert and now Russell in Denver
    - Patriots CB arrested for DUI while serving probation for assualting police officer
    - the Titus Young saga
    - Other players getting arrested for beating up women, carrying weapons in airports, being drunk an disorderly

The NFL looks really bad right now. On NFL Sirius, the percentage of NFL players that have police records from either their time in the NFL or prior is staggering (I think it was 80%).

Goodell can either try to bury all of this and figure we all love football so much we'll forget. Or he can do something about it. I think the NFL teams should be held accountable for the actions of their players. It will definitely make them put a lid on trouble makers or avoid employing them in the first place. It might not seem fair to take away a 4th round future draft pick or cut the salary cap for the off the field conduct of a current player, but it would definitely make the teams respond. And it might make these entitled, spoiled thugs act responsibly for once.

Thoughts?

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Change the name to fit the product!

The national fugative league.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Wheels
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • San Diego
      • Send PM

I think it's about the same as it's been, except that the Hernandez murder really brought a lot of unwanted attention to the NFL. They already said they were going to limit the combine attendees to academically eligible, presumably to get the riff raff less of a chance to land on a team. I actually like that policy change, as it provides a good incentive to keep studying hard.

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I like the idea of forfeited draft picks or salary cap adjustments if a player screws up (based on some agreed to criteria). That might reduce or eliminate teams taking flyers on questionable characters. For example, the NE Patriots, who in the Belichick era have been good at stockpiling picks, haven't thought twice about using a pick or two on "questionable" guys, because they are throwaway picks anyway and they can cut loose a player that doesn't measure up. But, if they were to lose a draft pick for player screwups, maybe they WOULD think twice.

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
          I think it's about the same as it's been, except that the Hernandez murder really brought a lot of unwanted attention to the NFL. They already said they were going to limit the combine attendees to academically eligible, presumably to get the riff raff less of a chance to land on a team. I actually like that policy change, as it provides a good incentive to keep studying hard.
          I didn't realize the NFL did that, but it does make sense and I like it for the same reasons. Its interesting, wonder if someone academically ineligible fights this policy in court?

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Instead of the supplamental draft they should have a Developemental Draft for the academicly challenged. Contracts offered for the Developemental Draft would be capped at $500K/ year so teams can controll the cap better and take some risks but if your developemental draft picks get into trouble it costs you a equal draft pick as a penalty for not taking better care of that player by getting them the help they need.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Geezbolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Sun Valley, ID
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

So what will he do with all of the recent troubles that blemish the face of the product he is responsible for?

TG
              He's here in town for the annual Allen & Company gathering. If I see him, I'll ask. I do like VB's draft pick penalty idea. And Stinky's "Developmental Draft" idea is interesting.

Comment

• Wheels
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                I didn't realize the NFL did that, but it does make sense and I like it for the same reasons. Its interesting, wonder if someone academically ineligible fights this policy in court?
                I might have jumped the gun, it's not policy yet, just something they're considering.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Some predictions on how Goodell might react:

- Aaron Hernandez

Limetime Suspension if convicted on first degree murder charge. Take that, punkface!

- Heckert and now Russell in Denver

Not players, so will leave discipline matters up to the team.

- Patriots CB arrested for DUI while serving probation for assaulting police officer

The Patriots have been through so much already... next!

- the Titus Young saga

Currently not on an NFL roster. Maybe it will just go away?

- Other players getting arrested for beating up women, carrying weapons in airports, being drunk an disorderly

The Commissioner's Office takes these issues seriously here at the NF of L, son. What don't you just look elsewhere for controversies... hey, how about that steroid thing with baseball, huh?
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Hernandez won't play another down in the NFL even if he's not convicted.

I'm actually surprised that the Denver FO hasn't suspended this guys already. Setting an awful precedent for their team and players going forward.

Comment

Working...
                    X