• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thelightningwill
    Go Aztecs and Pads
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Pagano

I think we made the right call in keeping Pagano as defensive coach this year. The D has been okay as a group despite pretty bad individual players.

I see the results that Pagano got this year as similar to the ones Ron Rivera got when he was with us. Neither coach had much for talent to work with and each got the players, as a group, to play average. We're not a good defense. But we're not a bad defense either. And, based on who plays defense for us, average is pretty damn good.

I don't like our defensive linemen - not any of them. Liuget might be good some day, but he isn't right now. Reyes sucks. And Thomas should always be a backup.
    I think Butler could end up being good if he ever stays healthy. Te'o is in the same boat. Neither were consistently good this year. And their backups were worse.
    Our outside linebackers - I didn't even know who they were from week to week. Johnson is okay when he plays.
    Our secondary is Weddle and nobody else. And, Weddle, as well as he plays, isn't the god that some people make him out to be. He's just a better-than-average safety who seems to be a good leader.
    So, basically, what I'm saying is our defense this year was mostly Weddle, sometimes Johnson, and a whole lot of bad and injured players. Yet, somehow, this defense, as a whole, was okay. I think that has to do with the good work of the defensive coach.
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

I think you are kinda harsh on our defensive players.

Did you see the Chiefs Colts game yesterday? And the Chiefs are supposed to be one of the top defenses in the game.

It's simply not a defensive game anymore.

I don't mind Pagano. I don't love him, I don't hate him, and I think it's ridiculous to lay the blame of defensive failures completely at his feet.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• SFW
      PB Official Game Thread Starter
      • Jul 2013
      • NY
      • USMC
      • Send PM

I think we tend to be our own harshest critics, especially on these forums. We tend to judge our own players to an almost impossible standard. I don't know if it the lack of championships, the environment of the city or what but our team and players are no where near as bad as many make it out to be (or as I continually read in this forum). The defense obviously needs a few impact players added but I think it is much closer to being good than people think.

I don't think there will be any truly dominant defenses anymore in this era of the NFL. The best you can hope for is just be good when it matters. I think players like Liuget, Reyes, Butler, Weddle, Ingram, Te'o and Johnson are good enough to build around. Telesco needs to upgrade one player per defensive level (line, LB, secondary) through free agency and the draft and our defense will get the job done next season.

I am not a big fan of Pagano, but I do think he has earned the right to get one more season. The team and defense needs continuity and they will probably be losing Whisenhunt, would hate to lose both coordinators at same time.
      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

He needs to call the game of his life today.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

so far he is... at least in 2nd half
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• KNSD
            Registered Charger Hater
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Amazing how well the defense plays when Ingram is in. Coaching is better too.
            Prediction:
            Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
            Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
            Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

Working...
            X