• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I don't like our chances as much in a shootout. They are built for it, we are just more balanced. I think we need to keep Manning off the field, and work to keep him out of his rhythm. I think we need the ball control and defense to get them off their game and help make them one dimensional. Manning is just such a robot, that he will score some big throws in there eventually, so don't give him as many chances.

But their D is just not that great, and i do think we have an excellent chance to control the ball. I don't expect that it will be quite the same as last time, just pounding it play after play, but I do think keeping the clock running and keeping them off the field is a big part of our game. No QB likes to be on the sidelines. And if we can knock him around some when he is on it, I think the old guy can still get rattled some.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by boltgirl View Post
      Didn't know that - well, that explains where Whisenhunt learned it.

Also, an interesting quote from McCoy. “That’s the key thing in a game like a playoff game,” Chargers coach Mike McCoy said. “In big games, a lot of times teams lose the game rather than win it.”
      Uh, Marty, Uh, Norv.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
        I feel more comfortable with Orhnberger starting for sure since he will likely get a lot of first team reps and get those lines calls down. I still don't think they are completely comfortable with him making all the adjustments in game. In that sense it would be better if Hardwick is in there in case it turns into a shoutout.
        does Hardwick shout better than Orhnberger?
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• OhioBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I don't like our chances as much in a shootout. They are built for it, we are just more balanced. I think we need to keep Manning off the field, and work to keep him out of his rhythm. I think we need the ball control and defense to get them off their game and help make them one dimensional. Manning is just such a robot, that he will score some big throws in there eventually, so don't give him as many chances.

But their D is just not that great, and i do think we have an excellent chance to control the ball. I don't expect that it will be quite the same as last time, just pounding it play after play, but I do think keeping the clock running and keeping them off the field is a big part of our game. No QB likes to be on the sidelines. And if we can knock him around some when he is on it, I think the old guy can still get rattled some.
          Steve you nailed it I believe if we control the ball which we are capable of doing, we can win. If we fall behind early the key will be not to panic and go pass happy. We can run on Denver D at will, stats are misleading Denver's Run Defense ranks 7th, but they were blowing everybody out except us, so teams were forced to pass to get back in the game and make the score look repectable at least. Denver Defense practices against Peyton Manning Offense that passes more than they run. Their Defense hasn't had to defend against the run much, and the run game is always more physical than the passing game. Denver D lacks physicallity and nor have they had to be physical most of the season do to blowing out opponents. Our O-line can out physical them and wear them down to the point they are beaten physically so if we can have Matthew pounding, Woodhead scatting, and Brown if needed, we can controll this game and win. This does two things for us Manning doesn't get into a rythm and our D is rested. Both times we played them we dominated time of possesion in both we had the ball 38 plus minutes to there 21 minutes. The blue print is there to win, we don't need to change nothing, and Denver can't change the fact their D is not physical and not good against the run, they can't change that Von Miller is out, and possible their bes D-lineman Wolfe.

On Defense we just need to be displine in the secondary, not biting on the double moves or look to make a big play getting out of position, I feel the front 7 will step and do what they need to do, Ingram is going to be a factor, Jarret Johnson and Butler are healthy and are going to be solid, Teo has grown as a rookie and has a better feel for the game. I believe Liguet and Reyes will be solid, we have been rotating the D-lineman keeping them fresh. I think the D as a whole get up for the Broncos and even more for Peyton Manning, getting pressure on him he becomes a different QB, I say again no QB likes getting pressure or hit with any consistency, but Manning so use to not getting hit or pressure, but when he does he is easily fustrated and he will not stay in the poket and hold the ball for a split second longer. QB like Brady, Brees, and Rivers who have had games where they have been pressured and multiple sacks still stand and make the plays in the pocket, but with Manning that pressure that he rarely has to deal with makes him becomes a feet happy sissy who is fustrated with his team, and the refs. Remember the first time we played him we got to him he was crying for a flag on a legit hit, by Liegut.

This team can beat the Broncos, just don't turn it over, and hopefull Mathews is healthy to go

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Orhnberger really exploded out of his stance, too, on those run plays. Something he did better than Hardwick. I was extremely impressed with him at center in that game. And center is a relatively new position for him, no?

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
              Hope RM can play, can play the entire game.

I know people hate on Ronnie Brown but he does have fresh legs and if we open up holes like we have been.....
              Given some of our short yardage struggles, was wondering during the game (particularly on that goal line series), why we weren't maybe trying a little wildcat.

Comment

• Boltx
                Dominate the day
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if Ronnie Brown plays significant minutes AND plays well. It would be a nice story for the ol' vet to finally have some playoff success. His legs are fairly spared and if we can open holes and he can chug ahead for 4-5 yards and keep our ground going, why not? Sure, he doesn't have the explosiveness or homerun ability of Mathews, but if we're playing ball control, so be it.

As far as the wildcat....I firmly believe we probably have a trick play saved up for when a dire situation presents itself (not counting a fake punt)....the wild cat with RB is just too obvious though.
                ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                  As far as the wildcat....I firmly believe we probably have a trick play saved up for when a dire situation presents itself...
                  Zone read with Rivers keeping it?
                  Adipose

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                    No thanks.

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Opera singer and web developer.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                      No thanks.
                      Of course not. Wasn't a serious suggestion. Don't really want to see our franchise QB get hurt, and he really is an embarrassment as a runner.
                      Adipose

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Of course not. Wasn't a serious suggestion. Don't really want to see our franchise QB get hurt, and he really is an embarrassment as a runner.
                        I know. Was just playing around.

:finger:

Comment

• SDFan
                          Woober Goober
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Dolores, CO
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

saw Rivers trying to lead block for Royal on end around last week, and at least 1 other time this year. he didn't get hurt. At his size, he should running a lot of sneaks on 3rd and inches too.
                          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                          X