• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChillyC50
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

I've been watching this team play every Sunday for years. This team will only go as far as Rivers can take them, it's that simple. Rivers needs to be a top tier QB, he needs to convert on 3rd downs. They were a dismal 4/14, 28% last night. For 4 games in they are ranked #22 with a 36% conversion rate. We are not going to the playoffs with that conversion rate, not going to happen. This offensive unit has talent, I would argue it's just as good as the Rams. What makes them successful and not the Chargers?? Play calling?? Rivers ability to throw under duress or a dirty pocket?? I'd like to hear what others think on this.

ChillyC

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChillyC50 View Post
      I've been watching this team play every Sunday for years. This team will only go as far as Rivers can take them, it's that simple. Rivers needs to be a top tier QB, he needs to convert on 3rd downs. They were a dismal 4/14, 28% last night. For 4 games in they are ranked #22 with a 36% conversion rate. We are not going to the playoffs with that conversion rate, not going to happen. This offensive unit has talent, I would argue it's just as good as the Rams. What makes them successful and not the Chargers?? Play calling?? Rivers ability to throw under duress or a dirty pocket?? I'd like to hear what others think on this.

ChillyC
      I'd be interested to see how many yards we average on first down plays. It seems like we spend a lot of time in second and third and long, which will lower our third down efficiency - but I could be way off on that.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I'm not convinced Whiz is a great OC. I think his approach is dated and predictable. He has the luxury of an elite QB and a ton of talent at the skill position. Watching the Chiefs, Rams and even the 49ers and then watching our offense and leaves me thinking we are leaving a lot of yards and points on the field.
        I understand. He is more traditional. But I have noticed more jet sweeps and interesting ways to get Ekeler the ball and more use of Chiefs-Rams type motion. So I think he is trying at least a little bit.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

I think Whiz is good, because the numbers bear that out.

However, I do think that we are very predictable in the running game, and this drives me crazy.

I think Cory coming back will help in the pass rush... he doesn't get many sacks, true...but he has good push, and that will free things up for others.

I'm not nearly as worried as many of you guys are. They are 2 and 2. They survived a tough one, but blew Buffalo out on the road... both the Rams and KC games, while not wins, were closer than most think.

I have faith.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
            I think Whiz is good, because the numbers bear that out.

However, I do think that we are very predictable in the running game, and this drives me crazy.

I think Cory coming back will help in the pass rush... he doesn't get many sacks, true...but he has good push, and that will free things up for others.

I'm not nearly as worried as many of you guys are. They are 2 and 2. They survived a tough one, but blew Buffalo out on the road... both the Rams and KC games, while not wins, were closer than most think.

I have faith.
            We worry because we are long term Charger fans! On the positive side, we used to routinely lose games like this so the fact we won is a good sign.

Comment

• ChillyC50
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

We worry because we are long term Charger fans! On the positive side, we used to routinely lose games like this so the fact we won is a good sign.
              I was saying the exact same thing as I was watching the game with my friend who's a Cowboys fan. "We usually lose games like this and never ever come up with a game ending big time pick."

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

I believe the OL is so bad that we have been reduced to a get the ball off quick offensive. Hence the 5 yard routes over the middle, and the many runs and short passes to Gordon. Thanks heavens Gordon was running HARD yesterday.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• CTrout
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

I have faith.
                  consider how many points were given away by STs in those 2 loses. Those games may have ended differently.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post

consider how many points were given away by STs in those 2 loses. Those games may have ended differently.
                    They might have, but after 4 games what makes you think anything will change as far as ST giving away points? We have given away, what, 26 points in 4 games? Hard to spot teams nearly a TD per game points-wise and not struggle.

Comment

• foreigner
                      Tom Telesco is gone
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

The titans are going to crush us... I laugh at whoever said it was a winnable game...

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                        Im starting to see shades of Dawkins, Thomas and Taylor. Its hard to find a safety that puts up 6+ sacks a season. And i think thats what James can do for us potentially. Dawkins was a really good player when in the box and blitzing. James hits like Taylor. Looks likes him when he runs. Can play that cover 3 deep safety like Thomas.

Way to early to discuss HOF in regards to James....but im thinking it. Hes that special.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

I think he has the ability to possibly create a whole new type of player at the position. Because almost none of the legends are as versatile as him. You would need at least 2-3 guys to create Derwin.

Derwinism......the evolution of a new species of player.

Comment

Working...
                          X