Order of priority, who to extend first, second, third, not at all.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Order of priority, who to extend first, second, third, not at all.

We will have several key free agents next year, what are your top prioreties to extend?

PLAYER POS STATUS 2013-2014 TEAM NEW TEAM YEARS DOLLARS SIGNED

Danario Alexander WR UFA Chargers TBD --

Ronnie Brown RB UFA Chargers TBD --

Donald Butler LB UFA Chargers TBD --

Deon Butler WR UFA Chargers TBD --

Brandyn Dombrowski T UFA Chargers TBD --

Brandyn Dombrowski T UFA Chargers TBD --

Larry English LB UFA Chargers TBD --

Chris Gronkowski RB UFA Chargers TBD --

Thomas Keiser DE UFA Chargers TBD --

Rich Ohrnberger G UFA Chargers TBD --

Chad Rinehart G UFA Chargers TBD --

Max Starks T UFA Chargers TBD --

Darrell Stuckey S UFA Chargers TBD --

Cam Thomas DT UFA Chargers TBD --

Charlie Whitehurst QB UFA Chargers TBD --

Jarius Wynn DE UFA Chargers

Butler and Cam are the top two IMO. DX could be had cheep, but the Tender they put on him makes me think hes gone next year.
    Go Rivers!
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

#1 Goodman
    #2 Butler
    #3 Butler
    #4 Butler
    #5 Alexander
    #6 Liuget
    #7 Vincent Brown
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Butler

Alexander
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Cam not a priorety?
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

1) Butler clear priority. He's actually my only must sign guy.

2) Cam Thomas potentially is my #2 guy, but he really needs to have a solid year. The two UDFA's could make him replaceable.

3) DX is an interesting fellow. On one hand he plays a premium position that generally commands a significant salary. On the other hand the league has already shown that his medical is a massive red flag. I can see us working a team friendly deal with a small amount of guaranteed money.

4) Larry English is going to have to produce to get an extension. He's still very young though and the type of player that can be had on the cheap /w upside to be a decent reserve + ST player. Would love to know what the coaches think of him.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Cam needs to play like he did in 2011
            sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

How long will it take one of our udfa to play like Cam did in 2011? How hard is it to find a decent 3/4 nt? Any going to hit FA? Any we could pick up in the draft after day one that could start???
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Boltdog
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Lunar Surface
                • Nutrition Consultant
                • Send PM

1. Rivers (with a good season, may be worthwhile to be proactive and clear cap space)
                2. Butler (if he gets injured, move up Alexander as the priority)
                3. Alexander
                Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  How long will it take one of our udfa to play like Cam did in 2011? How hard is it to find a decent 3/4 nt? Any going to hit FA? Any we could pick up in the draft after day one that could start???
                  There is always a shortage of decent NT, and remember, a 34 NT can play DT in the 43 too. Not all 43 DT can play NT however.

But Cam hasn't proven he is anything more than an inconsistent guy yet. This is his year. If he steps up, he gets big bucks. If he doesn't, he can keep trying with someone else. We might be able to keep him and keep trying to develop him, but since he is on the verge of getting a big deal, I would expect him to move on if not resigned.

NT are hard to develop just because it is a very unforgiving position. If a guy has less then stellar technique, they get blown out and knocked around by all the double teams. If the NT is not good enough to be double teamed, he really isn't worth having. A NT who can be blocked by 1 OL means that our ILB have to take on and shed blockers, and that means they won't be making plays. If the NT is double teamed and hold his ground, then the ILB can run around and make plays all over the field. It makes the 34 work, so you have to have one. And good ones take a while to develop.

The two UDFA are going to take a while. Both have great physical tools, but neither is that great technique wise, or they would have been drafted, probably quite high. Both of them can be carried as backup DE while they develop their technique. But it is a bit of a long shot and it is hard to see either of them being ready to start by next year.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                    1) Butler clear priority. He's actually my only must sign guy.

2) Cam Thomas potentially is my #2 guy, but he really needs to have a solid year. The two UDFA's could make him replaceable.

3) DX is an interesting fellow. On one hand he plays a premium position that generally commands a significant salary. On the other hand the league has already shown that his medical is a massive red flag. I can see us working a team friendly deal with a small amount of guaranteed money.

4) Larry English is going to have to produce to get an extension. He's still very young though and the type of player that can be had on the cheap /w upside to be a decent reserve + ST player. Would love to know what the coaches think of him.
                    Agree 100% with Butler and Cam.

DX is a wait and see if he makes it through the whole season first, second thing is will he produce now that the league has film on him

Larry English I think he is comparable to I hate to say Buster Davis. You see flashes of his talent but he never makes through a whole season let alone half of a season. I think this is his last season with the Chargers.

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                      Agree 100% with Butler and Cam.

DX is a wait and see if he makes it through the whole season first, second thing is will he produce now that the league has film on him

Larry English I think he is comparable to I hate to say Buster Davis. You see flashes of his talent but he never makes through a whole season let alone half of a season. I think this is his last season with the Chargers
                      I agree to a certain extent. English actually did make it through the whole season last year, but was just splitting snaps with entirely too many OLB (granted the whole reason that happened is because they weren't sure he could stay healthy). Now he has to prove he can stay on the field with an increase in snaps and that he can be productive in those snaps. The team has invested 4 years in him developing his technique and learning the defense. It's up to him to put it together on the field this season.

Most of the fan base has written him off (with good reason), but I suspect the coaches haven't by some of the comments that were made following Ingram's injury.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        Ok, you over rate him, I get it.

If a player regresses, I don't want to extend him unless he can prove the regression isn't what we're gonna see after the new contract. He's only potential right now. With points taken off for regressing.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X