Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Chargers Defense vs. Denver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the Chargers are on D
    By Tom Krasovic3:14 p.m.Jan. 8, 2014
    The San Diego Chargers vs. The Denver Broncos at Sports Authority Field in Denver.

Usually, it's the Broncos who pull off a Mile High Miracle.

Someone else joined the club Dec. 12. What the Chargers' defense pulled off in San Diego's 27-20 victory was one of the NFL season's big stunners. Heck, call it a miracle.

The Chargers held the Broncos to 18 yards rushing. Eighteen yards.

Only one other time in 238 games had a Peyton Manning offense rushed for 18 yards or fewer. And disregard that 11-yard effort in a tuneup for the 2005 playoffs, because Manning departed in the first half and the Colts packed it in.

The Broncos sought a precious No. 1 playoff seed when the Chargers arrived last month, and Denver's run game had been thriving.

Did the Bolts overload against the run? Not really. They lined up with only two true linemen, allowing them to defend Air Peyton with a mix of linebackers and defensive backs. And two games earlier, the Bengals smoked San Diego's two-linemen fronts, mashing out 8.3 yards per carry.

The Broncos rushed 11 times. Not once did they create a clean running lane for Knowshon Moreno, who carried eight times for 19 yards. On his first rush, Moreno gained 6 yards only by eluding eluding rookie safety Jahleel Addae at the line.

Chargers linebackers played large. Melvin Ingram, two games into his comeback from knee surgery, clubbed 250-pound tight end Julius Thomas to the ground, gumming up one run. Reggie Walker whipped tight end Virgil Green, allowing him to ground Montee Ball for a 6-yard loss. Up front, a rotation led by Corey Liuget and Sean Lissemore outquicked Denver's hulks. Safety Marcus Gilchrist had a strong game, while playing nickel back for the first time this year.

The task figures to be tougher this Sunday, with the Broncos expected to regain receiver Wes Welker and their linemen's ears likely still ringing. The goal, though, remains the same. "If we don't stop the run," Eric Weddle said, "it's going to be bad because it opens up everything and then you have to honor everything."

================================================== ================================================== =====

A lot of people have been unhappy with Cam Thomas to some degree, but did anyone notice Lissemore was missing and Cam Thomas started against the Bungles in last week's beatdown? That Cincy OL is much better than Denver's and we crushed them. Looks like our DL rotation should be at full strength this week and playing well along with our LBs. As mentioned in the article, the last Denver game was only the 2nd back for Ingram and the 1st for Gilchrist back at nickle, while Addae has come on at SS. If Pagano can dial up a good gameplan to stop the rush up the middle and our guys tackle on 1st contact and limit catches by those big WRs & TEs, we have a really good chance to win this.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Against us, they tried to knock us out by passing early and then running late. IN the 1st game, it worked well. In the 2nd, they never pulled ahead. I expect this time, they will probably try and run more early.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Lissemore was inactive (injured) for the game, so Thomas started, and Geathers played. Thomas did have a sack, but it was a team effort on the DL, vs. individual disruptions. You can see the improvement as Ingram has gotten to game shape, and Denver has not experienced that added dimension. I highly doubt that there will be three consecutive 3 and outs again, but I'm thinking that the additions on both sides (Ingram v. Welker) just come up as a wash. As far as the run goes, historically poor performances usually don't recur, so if they do run, keep the first downs to 3 yds, and they will be fine.

On the other side of the ball, Donkeys have regressed, with the loss of Miller. Rivers, just like other franchise QBs will cut up D's with time, and if he keeps to the game plan of high percentage completions, there should be better results this time around.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

I'm a bit worried. They have welker and Thomas back. They took us lightly the last three halves we played them.
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Why is this even an issue? The Chargers have the worst defense ever (according to DVOA). Our team, err.... The Chargers have no chance!
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
            I'm a bit worried. They have welker and Thomas back. They took us lightly the last three halves we played them.
            And we took them lightly in the remaining half.

Thomas played in both games didn't he? Welker, I'm not so sure he'll be such a big issue. Seems like they focused on bottling up Thomas and Decker last game and Caldwell got all the looks.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
              Why is this even an issue? The Chargers have the worst defense ever (according to DVOA). Our team, err.... The Chargers have no chance!
              Quit stalking.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                And we took them lightly in the remaining half.

Thomas played in both games didn't he? Welker, I'm not so sure he'll be such a big issue. Seems like they focused on bottling up Thomas and Decker last game and Caldwell got all the looks.
                Thomas did not play well vs the Bengals.

It'll be good to have Lissemore back
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                  I believe they finished the season #28
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Decker and Thomas both cry like little girls if the DB come up and press them a lot. Decker gets especially distracted. If it wasn't for Manning, I would say get up in press coverage on every play and get prepared for the flood from all the tears. I still expect us to play a lot of press, just like in the last game.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                      I disagree with that whole "we didn't show up to play" line. They were playing at home for the #1 seed and home field advantage. That's big.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the Chargers are on D
                        By Tom Krasovic3:14 p.m.Jan. 8, 2014
                        The San Diego Chargers vs. The Denver Broncos at Sports Authority Field in Denver.

Usually, it's the Broncos who pull off a Mile High Miracle.

Someone else joined the club Dec. 12. What the Chargers' defense pulled off in San Diego's 27-20 victory was one of the NFL season's big stunners. Heck, call it a miracle.

The Chargers held the Broncos to 18 yards rushing. Eighteen yards.

Only one other time in 238 games had a Peyton Manning offense rushed for 18 yards or fewer. And disregard that 11-yard effort in a tuneup for the 2005 playoffs, because Manning departed in the first half and the Colts packed it in.

The Broncos sought a precious No. 1 playoff seed when the Chargers arrived last month, and Denver's run game had been thriving.

Did the Bolts overload against the run? Not really. They lined up with only two true linemen, allowing them to defend Air Peyton with a mix of linebackers and defensive backs. And two games earlier, the Bengals smoked San Diego's two-linemen fronts, mashing out 8.3 yards per carry.

The Broncos rushed 11 times. Not once did they create a clean running lane for Knowshon Moreno, who carried eight times for 19 yards. On his first rush, Moreno gained 6 yards only by eluding eluding rookie safety Jahleel Addae at the line.

Chargers linebackers played large. Melvin Ingram, two games into his comeback from knee surgery, clubbed 250-pound tight end Julius Thomas to the ground, gumming up one run. Reggie Walker whipped tight end Virgil Green, allowing him to ground Montee Ball for a 6-yard loss. Up front, a rotation led by Corey Liuget and Sean Lissemore outquicked Denver's hulks. Safety Marcus Gilchrist had a strong game, while playing nickel back for the first time this year.

The task figures to be tougher this Sunday, with the Broncos expected to regain receiver Wes Welker and their linemen's ears likely still ringing. The goal, though, remains the same. "If we don't stop the run," Eric Weddle said, "it's going to be bad because it opens up everything and then you have to honor everything."

================================================== ================================================== =====

A lot of people have been unhappy with Cam Thomas to some degree, but did anyone notice Lissemore was missing and Cam Thomas started against the Bungles in last week's beatdown? That Cincy OL is much better than Denver's and we crushed them. Looks like our DL rotation should be at full strength this week and playing well along with our LBs. As mentioned in the article, the last Denver game was only the 2nd back for Ingram and the 1st for Gilchrist back at nickle, while Addae has come on at SS. If Pagano can dial up a good gameplan to stop the rush up the middle and our guys tackle on 1st contact and limit catches by those big WRs & TEs, we have a really good chance to win this.
                        I don't think anyone denies Thomas's talent. For whatever reason, he doesn't always show up. Just like the rest of the D line for extended periods this year.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X