• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Pressure

The Pressure Dynamics of the NFL Playoffs – Do TEAMS feel it?

Read more: http://www.thefootballeducator.com/p...#ixzz2pwMuQ6F8

January 9, 2014 By Ted Sundquist

Pressure

2. constant state of worry and urgency – powerful and stressful demands on somebody’s time, attention, and energy, or a demand of this sort.
    They were under constant pressure to achieve increased output targets.

3. force that pushes or urges – something that affects thoughts and behavior in a powerful way, usually in the form of several outside influences working together persuasively.

I’ve been asked repeatedly about the “pressure” that faces the Denver Broncos heading into this weekend’s divisional playoff game against their long time rivals the San Diego Chargers. Who’s under the most pressure? Who will handle it the best?

Certainly the Chargers have felt some sort of pressure to win over the past five weeks. Just one loss in the final quarter of the 2013 regular season would have eliminated them from this discussion all together. Then to go on the road and defeat a Cincinnati Bengals team that was undefeated in “The Jungle” over eight home games had to have defied the very definition of the word.

Denver comes off a well earned “bye week” and heads into the game a proverbial favorite based upon a 13-3 regular season and a record setting offensive attack the likes we may not see for a long time to come. But the Broncos held the number one seed coming out of 2012 and squandered any chance at a Cinderella comeback season for Peyton Manning with an agonizing fourth quarter meltdown and overtime loss to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens. Is pressure clad in orange and blue?

Living and working in the environment that is professional sports could be considered a constant continuum of pressure. There really is nothing but “black and white” performance parameters. You either do or you don’t. You either win or you lose. It’s difficult to ascertain any shades of gray when it comes to surviving in the National Football League; owner, general manager, coach, or player. The demands of success are so heightened that pressure is nothing more than the constant state of norm, and therefore becomes an accepted way of life.

Organizations don’t buckle under pressure, people do. So to say that the Denver Broncos have more pressure than the San Diego Chargers to win this weekend is like saying either organization has the ability to manifest any emotion; love, hate, anger, animosity, happiness, sadness. Collectives are incapable of “feeling”. So the question of pressure falls on each individual. The 2014 playoff version of the Denver Broncos doesn’t feel the pressure of the 2013 club’s loss to the Ravens. There are members of this team that weren’t even around the Mile High city when Jacoby Jones took off on his 70 yard TD catch. There are players with the San Diego

Chargers that had nothing to do with the 2nd half spiral against Denver in 2012 that sent them on a ride to sub .500 mediocrity.
    Pressure is felt and manifested by the individual, it can be tempered and controlled at the individual level as well. Those players and coaches that have done all they can do in preparation for Sunday’s contest will understand that much of what determines the final outcome is beyond their own control. To worry or fret over outside dynamics only plays into definition #2, and therefore creates pressure.

Is John Elway under any pressure to WIN this game? I think not. I’m assuming he’s done all he can personally do to ensure his team has what it needed to get ready for the “Bolts”. Does Mike McCoy feel any more pressure to WIN in his first season as head coach? Perhaps under the circumstances tied to making the right decisions over the course of 60 minutes of the unknown. But is either TEAM feeling this force dynamic more than the other? Probably not. Both understand the ramifications of losing, both realize that winning only buys you another week. And so they compete for the right to move on.

The ultimate outcome will ride on a very few that let their own perceived enormity of the situation get the best of them and hinder their performance at any given point. A ball may be dropped, a tackle may be missed, an assignment may be blown, and the result could spell defeat for an entire team that was ready to play.

The Broncos and the Chargers won’t succumb to the pressure, but one or two of their players will. What colors will pressure wear on Sunday?
    Last edited by oneinchpunch; 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM.
    Hashtag thepowderblues
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

You know you're under too much pressure when you have to write an eight paragraph long article saying why you aren't under pressure.
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Nobody expected to the bolts to be here. And you always hear the players and coaches say that after recent wins. Then you hear about how loose the players were against the Bengals. I personally do think that teams feel pressure and this team dosnt really feel it. Probably a really good thing.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I don't think anyone feels pressure until certain circumstances emerge during a game. But as things evolve certain people start to think too much. I definitely felt that was the case with Marty. If you go back and watch the videos of '05 and '06 and listen to what he's saying and what he's doing I think that he was a guy that started to let "thoughts" about legacy and past games and all that sort of stuff creep into his head. So you buck conventional wisdom and go for it on 4th anf 11. Interesting in that he was always such an advocate of "one play at a time" and all that.

I think that sort of thing can happen to some players, too. Instead of just making the catch, you have that thought. You let it in there. You hesitate. I think it happens. But I don't think any player is sitting there today feeling too much pressure about Sunday.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

In the last eight years A #1 seed has lost to the #6 seed 8 times... No pressure!
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            Nobody expected to the bolts to be here. And you always hear the players and coaches say that after recent wins. Then you hear about how loose the players were against the Bengals. I personally do think that teams feel pressure and this team dosnt really feel it. Probably a really good thing.
            The SoundFX this week on NFLN had a segment from each game this week, Weddle was the guy mic'd up and you can totally see how loose the players were. They had Marvin Lewis mic'd up for the Bengals and it's not the same to compare a player to a coach and they didn't show much of Marvin but the vibe seemed totally different from the two teams. The Bengals were playing so tight.

I think Manning has the pressure of the world on him right now and he doesn't handle big games very well so I think that bodes well for the Bolts.

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

The pressure is on me. No wife at home yet all my kids are home. Do i ban them to their rooms until the clock ticks to zero or let them live on the edge and experience the joy and pain of Dad watching Charger playoff football? Im thinking raise em up to treat Donkeys like they should treat them....saddle em and load them Donkeys up with enough shit till THEY collapse under pressure. Oh yah....i guess the pressures on them.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                The SoundFX this week on NFLN had a segment from each game this week, Weddle was the guy mic'd up and you can totally see how loose the players were. They had Marvin Lewis mic'd up for the Bengals and it's not the same to compare a player to a coach and they didn't show much of Marvin but the vibe seemed totally different from the two teams. The Bengals were playing so tight.

I think Manning has the pressure of the world on him right now and he doesn't handle big games very well so I think that bodes well for the Bolts.
                I agree. I think Manning has had 8 1 and dones in the playoffs over his career. He has to feel pressure.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Loved Weddle razzing CBJ.

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

"Some people just crack under pressure, man, some people just crack." - Vince Wilfork outside of the Chargers lockerroom after that debacle of a playoff game in 2006.
                    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• MakoShark
                      Disgruntled
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Alabama
                      • Send PM

Thank you for that copy and paste article about pressure.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

So many of Mannings regular season wins are just him taking advantage of the regular mistakes bad teams make. Once you get to the playoffs, most of those frequent mistakes disappear. Plus, I don't think he wants to do the game management thing. He tends to want to go out and be aggressive, and I think that often misfires in the playoffs. He just doesn't get a high enough percentage of his throws. And defenses tend to try to dictate to QB who do too much "take what the D gives you". It's a fine line between taking it and having defenses dictate to you.

The pressure that I think he does really feel is when we got him behind and started eating the clock. Manning really feels that during the game. But it is not the kind of thing that you can get him to feel at the start of the game. It is because of how the game develops.
                        Last edited by Steve; 01-10-2014, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X