• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

I'm Finally Seeing the Gordon I've Been Wanting To See

You see what happens when you just hit the hole, no dancing in the backfield. If you keep feeding him the ball 20 times a game and give eckler 7-10 carries a game and we will be very hard to beat. I gotta say the blocking as far as the running game goes has been very good the last few games. Hell even our run defense has been decent the last 3 games but when we play a team who has a great running game a very good rb our line will be exposed again. I like the confidence some of our players are getting right now. One player that I am really starting to like right now is Isaac Rochelle. He's really impressed me so far. Now don't get me wrong I don't think he should start but when we have Ingram or Bosa out I have confidence he can step in there and get the job done.
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

I edited the title. It was too long and throwing off the aesthetic's.

And yes blocking has been much better this year. We have been one of the worst. Ive always said if he had better blocking we would see a superstar.

Comment

• vinabolt
      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
      • Feb 2015
      • Send PM

He has been able to "just hit the hole, no dancing in the backfield" is because the holes actually exist. If the holes don't exist and he's not patient, he would run into his own linemen or defenders.
      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• BoltBacker
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Las Vegas, NV
        • Send PM

That is why much of the criticism coming his way had been an over simplification of the problem. Ekeler was not the answer, improved OL and play calling was. Now both backs are prospering.
        Last edited by BoltBacker; 10-15-2018, 04:29 AM.

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

Pouncy has been a solidifying factor for sure. Feeney in 2nd year seems to be settling. We csn finally run block and our OL are getting out to the 2nd level. Our WR are getting blocks in to clear our RB too. Things are coming together. Whiz is opening up the playbook too...getting the WR moving is making Ds have to watch out for more now.

I like where we are headed. The next 4 games are all very winnable too. I think 3 of 4 is very doable. 7-3 going into the stretch would be a great place to be.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I think Gordon has learned how to attack holes from Ekeler. See it, hit it hard. No indecision, no over thinking. No looking for something better.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
              Pouncy has been a solidifying factor for sure. Feeney in 2nd year seems to be settling. We csn finally run block and our OL are getting out to the 2nd level. Our WR are getting blocks in to clear our RB too. Things are coming together. Whiz is opening up the playbook too...getting the WR moving is making Ds have to watch out for more now.

I like where we are headed. The next 4 games are all very winnable too. I think 3 of 4 is very doable. 7-3 going into the stretch would be a great place to be.
              the Pouncey effect is real.

And let's not forget Virgil Green. That guy has been really good at run blocking. like really good. The improvement of Watt has helped too.

Little shout out to Tevi too! He takes a lot of guff, but that's a couple pretty solid games in a row for him. Nice find late in the draft TT!
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

the Pouncey effect is real.

And let's not forget Virgil Green. That guy has been really good at run blocking. like really good. The improvement of Watt has helped too.

Little shout out to Tevi too! He takes a lot of guff, but that's a couple pretty solid games in a row for him. Nice find late in the draft TT!
                Agree with all of this. I saw 3 or 4 really good blocks from Watt that gave Gordon big holes to run in.

One thing I wish our oline would do is to push the pile like the Chiefs oline does. Seems like they push Hunt forward 2 or 3 yards every play when he hits a wall of defenders.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

One other observation..... There are holes this season. A lot of Melvin's dancing and indecisiveness was from always being met in the backfield. At Wisconsin, he always had huge holes to run through and was never an elusive runner. Now that there are some actual holes, we are seeing more of what Melvin was in college.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    I think Gordon has learned how to attack holes from Ekeler. See it, hit it hard. No indecision, no over thinking. No looking for something better.
                    This makes too much sense.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

This makes too much sense.
                      Makes no sense. I'll say this, Ekeler is more elusive than Gordon but I doubt Gordon learned to hit the hole from him lol. He just has more holes to hit now.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Makes no sense. I'll say this, Ekeler is more elusive than Gordon but I doubt Gordon learned to hit the hole from him lol. He just has more holes to hit now.
                        This is what I'm thinking as well. Gordon is more decisive because he is hitting bigger holes and doesn't have to dance. In the end, I don't care why - I just care that he is doing it!

Comment

Working...
                        X