• Show
Clear All
  • TABF
    Por debajo del promedio
    • Jun 2013
    • SoCal
    • Send PM

Coach Coryell Snubbed Yet Again

NFLN just whittled down from 25 to the top 15 class of the 2014 NFL HOF. Coach not in their again. He was on the top 25 again this year.

I don't get it.
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I saw the top 25 list and eyeballing both Jimmy Johnson and Tony Dungy on the list I figured Coryell was gonna draw the short stick. I was surprised to see Dungy make it over JJ seeing how championships trump everything and JJ has two over Dungy's one.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Weak. The team should really be doing more to advocate for him.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
        Weak. The team should really be doing more to advocate for him.
        Like get on the NFL map by winning 3 more games.

Time to F this Porkchops
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
          Like get on the NFL map by winning 3 more games.

Time to F this Porkchops
          I dont know that winning three more games does anything for Don Coryell's legacy but yes they ought to do that.

Comment

So angry right now. No common sense in he nfl voting. How the fuck is tony dungy on the ballet when don was at the same time. HOF is a popularity contest. Sad

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
              So angry right now. No common sense in he nfl voting. How the fuck is tony dungy on the ballet when don was at the same time. HOF is a popularity contest. Sad
              Bingo! Might as well dress them up in gowns and call them prom queens. Sure, Dungy won a SB but what he do for the game? Billick won a SB you gonna put him the HOF? Coryells influences can still be seen in the game today. For him to not be in the HOF is just assinine.
              sigpic

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I dont think you have to put Dungy down to advocate for Coryell. I think Dungy, between his playing, coordinating and coaching made a real contribution to a lot of winning programs. Not on the level of Coryell, but he's a viable candidate.

It's shockingly stupid that Coryell is not recognized by the game that he totally revolutionized. The whole "he never won a Super Bowl" argument doesn't hold water. Marino never won a Super Bowl. Neither did Fouts or a whole host of others. Ernie Banks never won a World Series. Stupid.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Coryell had the cardinal sin that will probably keep him out. He was modest. He didn't talk about himself much. And so while he helped to get a number of his players in, and extolled their virtues, he never did it for himself.

I think the only thing that might get him in now is if a lot of his former players and coaches (guys like Joe Gibbs, Dan Fouts), the ones with some visibility still, need to start pushing this some more. Because it has been so long, most of them are not very visible anymore. Once those guys are gone, there is no chance he is going to make it, and it won't happen overnight.

The thing I didn't realize is that Coryell was responsible for not just revolutionizing the passing game, but the running game too. Back in the 70's, everyone ran split backs, giving the ball to the RB and FB. Then Coryell came along as a junior college coach, and got everyone on the west coast using the I formation. It was largely following his lead, that the major colleges started using the I, and that is when a lot of the great RB who started to get the big rushing totals at places like USC. Then people started bemoaning that you couldn't pass out of the classic I formation, and Coryell said, yeah, you're right. So he started using offset I formation, single back and putting the FB in motion, and suddenly the NFL is running the I, because those Coryell variations are better passing formations then the split backfield pro formation. And you don't have to have an amazing FB, so 3 WR sets and 2 TE sets come into common use. And all of this happened before he ever got to SD State and became Air Coryell. What Coryell did in the running or passing game alone should be enough to get him in the hall of fame.

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                    I dont think you have to put Dungy down to advocate for Coryell. I think Dungy, between his playing, coordinating and coaching made a real contribution to a lot of winning programs. Not on the level of Coryell, but he's a viable candidate.

It's shockingly stupid that Coryell is not recognized by the game that he totally revolutionized. The whole "he never won a Super Bowl" argument doesn't hold water. Marino never won a Super Bowl. Neither did Fouts or a whole host of others. Ernie Banks never won a World Series. Stupid.
                    I didnt intend to put Dungy down, but like you said, his contribution just isn't on the same level, IMO. Honestly, I don't think its close. Yes, Dungy was successful and he was successful in different organizations, in different capacities. But I wouldn't call him innovative. I wouldn't call him revolutionary. I wouldn't say he was influencial on the game itself. A viable candidate? Not in my opinion.
                    sigpic

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Aren't we used to this by now? Being snubbed? It's happening to Coryell; it happens to other players; it happens to the team regularly. It's almost as if followers of the team are being penalized for rooting for a team who's home base is a beautiful city with great weather and hot chicks. And I'm only half kidding.

By the way, Belicheat is a sure-fire, 1-year-eligible inductee. Cheating and sourpuss and all. He'll probably make it before Coryell...if Coryell make s it at all.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Coryell will never get in. It's a joke that I've accepted. At his memorial service, they had both Gibbs and Fouts, along with Madden, all extolling the innovation Coryell brought to the game. I agree with the notion that his former charges, all who are in the Hall and were clearly aided and influenced by him, owe it to him to lobby as hard as they can to get him in. I know Fouts had been trying pretty hard to get him in, but that seemed to peter out after one year of trying. It should be a mission of these men to get their mentor in.

Comment

Working...
                        X