When Whiz leaves, will McCoy want to call his own plays?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

When Whiz leaves, will McCoy want to call his own plays?

Whiz will be gone after this season. I am 100% sure of it.

McCoy knew the ownership and fan base were not happy that Norv acted as HC and OC (at least as far as play calling in the game). He hired an experienced man and entrusted him with being a true OC. He was a brand new HC with no experience in that role. I think one of McCoy's greatest strengths is hiring smart people and letting them do their jobs.

I sure hope he doesn't think that now that he has had some success and experience and is losing the experienced OC, he can name Reich or some other brand new OC and take over play calling. I have not heard anything to that effect, but I really think that would be a bad idea.

Given everything we know about McCoy, I think he won't go this route. We know he (a) has a plan for everything (b) knew with certainty that Whiz was a rental and (c) seems smart enough, organized enough, and confident enough to let his coaches coach.

Bringing this up because just heard Gruden II will call his own plays in DC.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I don't think he will. He seems comfortable with delegation.

And after this season, I'm more convinced than ever that this is the best constellation. I do think he needs to pair up with a quality and experienced guy. Reich fits that description, but the combo with Whiz has been great. Would love to replicate that if we could somehow.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

I don't think so, he said he would let the OC call the plays, even before Whisenhunt was hired.

McCoy seems comfortable just being the Head Man in Charge.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

I think McCoy is an extremely smart guy and won't go that route. If he were to go with someone more inexperienced, I could see him sitting down with that person and going over every detail of what offense he'd like to run and then turn that person loose on game day to make the calls. Hopefully though, we'll be able to find an experienced OC. In either case, I hope they keep the same plays going that we're using this season, with some new wrinkles.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

McCoy seemed very clear that he was not going to call plays when he was hired, and that was before he had a chance to even begin to put a staff together, so it wasn't like that was a deal he came up with to get Whiz. If you look at the guy he has worked under for most of his career, Fox was never a guy to take over the D and run it himself. Look back at some of the teams Fox worked for, the most successful were the ones where the HC let the assistants do the playcalling, and the HC was the big picture, guy in charge.

As far as the offense goes, I think we probably will keep a big chunk of it. remember, we are running a ton of plays that we had under Norv. But some of the elements Norv ran infrequently, are real staples now. And some of the things Norv did a lot, are more change of pace elements now.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

I am very glad we had a former HC like Whiz in McCoy's first year to help him out - I think the benefits have been tremendous. I was pretty sure he would not last more than one year and the logical choice seems to be Reich. Three different OCs in three years is not ideal but hopefully Reich keeps what has worked wonderfully for us this season.

Comment

• BoltBalls
              Always keep eye contact!
              • Jun 2013
              • SD!
              • Send PM

I strongly agree that the coordinators should call the plays and focus on that while the head coach focuses on managing the game and making team decisions, like challenging plays, punting, going for it on 4th down, or allowing audibles like the Weddle fake punt. This should always be the case no matter what IMO.

Comment

• foreigner
                Tom Telesco is gone
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                I don't think he will. He seems comfortable with delegation.
                I wish someone I know seemed comfortable with delegation.. everyone would assume their own responsabilities and everything would be a better world.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Obama logo:
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                    Fluent in Sarcasm
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Iowa
                    • Man of the People
                    • Send PM

Agree that McCoy is smart enough to leave it to his OC to call the plays. Also wouldn't be surprised if McCoy, along with Whiz, has used this season to train up Reich on how to be a successful OC in this league.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Reich may not have called plays as a coordinator, but he played in an offense where the QB used to call all the plays. And Rivers is becoming almost like Manning in terms of how much he calls at the line.

I still think people make way to much of a deal about play calling. You decided when you were going to call what plays when you made the game plan. Suddenly it become rocket science when you read the plays off the prepared call sheet? That just makes no sense to me.

And who the comes out of the womb with experience? Everyone has to get experience at some point. Why can't a guy like Reich, he has more experience then many coaches who come from the college ranks, or who were just position coach, how come he can't learn to call play?

Comment

Working...
                        X