• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MassGeneralBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Rivers will put this team on his back tomorrow for a win

What has been most impressive about our coaching staff is the varied game plans week to week. I think with a banged up Matthews still hobbling as of yesterday I doubt we can run the ball as effectively and will need Rivers to put the offense on his back with lots of quick to intermediate throws to the likes of Ladarius, Gates and co in the middle of the field. Rivers lives for these moments and he will out duel Manning!! And first thing after the game I'm ordering this,

• Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Cincy was ripe for abuse with a two TE set riding Gates and Green down the field, because they really don't have anyone to cover TEs.
    Wondering why we hardly went there, leads me to think we were saving it for this week.

bolo-knows.jpg
    Last edited by Mister Hoarse; 01-11-2014, 04:47 PM.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

We used a ton of 2 TE sets vs Denver last time, and they used their nickle, because their LB had no chance of covering our TE without extra DB's. That was why Rivers kept checking to runs, even when Whiz was calling passes.

Denver may well decide to give up on their base D to stop our running game, and they can problem stop us from running if they do. But their LB are not very good in coverage against guys like Green and Gates. I think our game plan last time was to take what the Denver D gives us, and I expect to see us do that again. I think we would all rather that they let us run and eat the clock, but if they want to let our TE run lose in their secondary with some LB trailing, then I think Rivers and Co will be happy enough to beat them that way.

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Chargers have steadily phased out the 3 WR formations and moved to 2 TE sets. All for the better since it gets Green on the field and Brown on the sidelines. I mentioned it since preseason, two TE sets with our personnel gives us much more flexibility and better matchups. There isn't a LB in the league that can keep up with Green speedwise. Combined with Gates generally pulling bracket coverage, there's the mismatch. It's been forcing teams to stay in nickel formations to not give up big gains, but (as Steve mentioned) they give up size in the run game.

Not to mention it also completely opens up the passing game to crossing routes since gates/green are pulling the ILB and Safeties off the middle of the field.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Rivers needs a statement game.

If the running game stalls with a gimpy Mathews, we may get smoked.
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

I dont know why people arent seeing Woodhead as a real RB option. The kids different than Matthews but hes toughbas nails and imo offers better screen capability than Matthews. Id say lean on him early. I expect Denvers D will try to stop the run this time so id lean to Woody anyway and hes a better blocker or release pass catcher.

I think our run game will be fine unless we rely on Ronnie as the starting back. Pleaaassee dont put Ronnie in!

Comment

Woodhead is a better option than Ronnie, but not as big and powerful as Mathews.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

We will have to use Ronnie. Woodhead can't handle 40 rushing attempts, which is what we've been doing.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Brown and McClain are going to have to take some of the carries that Mathews would have had. It will depend some on how Denver decides to play it. Without Mathews, they will probably come out in their nickle, and dare us to run. So we will have to run it on them some until they commit enough defenders to stop the run, then we can air it out.

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                    I dont know why people arent seeing Woodhead as a real RB option. The kids different than Matthews but hes toughbas nails and imo offers better screen capability than Matthews. Id say lean on him early. I expect Denvers D will try to stop the run this time so id lean to Woody anyway and hes a better blocker or release pass catcher.

I think our run game will be fine unless we rely on Ronnie as the starting back. Pleaaassee dont put Ronnie in!
                    plain and simple- he's our best 3rd down weapon. You use him as the starting tailback, he's going to get stuffed after they figure out what we're doing and then we have no 3rd down packages. Seriousl,. go back and look at that playoff game gainst Pitt where NOrv used Sproles just like you want to use Woody. We got killed as Pitt kept Rivers on the sideline because we couldn't move the chains and sustain drives. If we're going to run- it needs to be behind our biggest backs and leave Woody doing what he does best on 3rd downs and as a rotational RB.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• RTPbolt
                      Charger Fan till the end
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Carolina
                      • Send PM

Woodhead is imo a far more physical runner than Sproles. Sproles is a juke type runner and Woodhead is a very north south runner.... he can be a 3 down back due to that...you dont have to change the third down packages at all. Im saying for 1 game to give Matthews some rest if hes that bad.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                        Woodhead is imo a far more physical runner than Sproles. Sproles is a juke type runner and Woodhead is a very north south runner.... he can be a 3 down back due to that...you dont have to change the third down packages at all. Im saying for 1 game to give Matthews some rest if hes that bad.
                        If we can findaway to get a head early and not use Mathews much would be great, where we need Mathews is third and short for the following reasons
                        1. Woodhead is tough, but can't move the pile.
                        2. Brown, is a combination of two things that hurt you, if the whole isn't there his feet aren't quick enough to get to the next open and he also doesn't explode off the snap
                        3. McClain powerful, but also doesn't explode out the snap and he doesn't have quick feet if the whole isn't open the play is done

Mathews has the ability that the other 3 don't, quick off the snap, power, and speed to go long, what we got from Brown against Cincy was based on Cincy selling out at the line and we did a great job of blocking.

Without Mathews our O-line will need to bring not just their A game , they will need their A+ game

Comment

Working...
                        X