The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

OT: Steroids

Part 1

January 11, 2010, 3:49 PM
    This Is What Happens to You on Steroids

Steroids make you big and strong and throw a ball like Roger Clemens. Do you know what else happens? A firsthand account from a man who will never do it again.

By Craig Davidson

Matt Mahurin

Originally published in the April 2008 issue

The needle is twenty-one gauge, one and a half inches. A hog sticker. Forty of them arrived in a package from Greece. Ever received a package from overseas? You get that puff of air when you rip it open -- air that's traveled thousands of miles. Foreign, like stepping into a stranger's house. The syringe wrapper has instructions in Italian, French, Greek, and Arabic -- not a word of English. But it's a needle. Operation is self-explanatory. I had put them out on my desk a few days ago -- an unignorable fact. An invitation. A threat.

Buck up, laddie. Fortune favors the brave.

What's inside resembles oily piss: 1 cc of Equipoise, a veterinary drug injected into horses, and 2 cc's testosterone cypionate, ten times the testosterone an average man my size naturally produces in a week.

It was going into my ass; plenty of meat there. But the sciatic nerve radiates from my hip, and if I hot-shot the junk into a vein, I could go into cardiac collapse. I tucked a bag of frozen corn beneath my underwear to numb the injection site. The hash marks on the syringe were smudged away by my sweaty hands. That couldn't be a sign of quality medical equipment, could it?

What if I died in this shitty efficiency apartment in Iowa City? I pictured the landlord stumbling upon my body, rotten and bloated. The newspaper headline: "Dumbshit Canadian Found Dead with Needle in Ass."

The needle slid in so easily, I wasn't aware it'd broken the skin. I aspirated and injected into the deep tissue. When I pulled it out, a pressurized stream of blood spurted halfway across the room.

A while back I wrote a novel. A lot of first-time novelists don't stray far from home; their stories are drawn from their lives. Holds true for me: The main character is...well, me. That's not quite true. He's wealthier, pampered, more dismissive. But his deep-seated fears, his inborn weaknesses -- those we share intimately.

My character goes down dark roads. For the sake of the book, I thought I'd travel those roads with him.

He begins to work out obsessively. I began to work out obsessively.

He joins a boxing club. I joined a boxing club.

He takes steroids. I took steroids.

The thing is, I've never done drugs. I therefore lacked the ability to spot the dealer in a room. Such was my quandary when it came to steroids. Where to buy? Who to ask? I'd heard your local gym was a good place, but I didn't have the first clue how to go about that. So I typed "steroids" into Google, which promptly introduced me to an Internet scam. I purchased a bottle of what I thought was a steroid called Dianabol. But what I received was Dianobol, which, for all I know, were rat turds pressed into pill form. Effective as Flintstone chewables.

I'll not go into great detail about how I came to possess real steroids -- or "gear," as we 'roiders call them. The whole thing makes me look as stupid as I was. Suffice it to say the process involved an encrypted e-mail account, a money order wired to Tel Aviv, and weeks of apprehension -- Had I been ripped off? Would DEA agents break down my door? -- before the package arrived, pills and ampules and six vials wrapped in X-ray-proof paper.

Anabolic steroids hit U.S. gyms in the early 1960s, courtesy of John Ziegler, the Americans' team doctor at the 1954 World Weightlifting Championships in Austria. He watched in horror as his countrymen were decimated by Soviet he-men who, he later found out, received testosterone injections as part of their regimen. Ziegler teamed up with a pharmaceutical firm to create the synthetic testosterone Methandrostenolone, better known by its trade name, Dianabol.

The biological function of anabolic (tissue-building) steroids is to stimulate protein synthesis -- that is, heal muscles more quickly and effectively. New muscle is gained, in part, by tearing the tubelike fibers running the length of our muscles; protein molecules attach to the broken chains, creating new muscle. While on steroids, your muscle fibers become greedy, seeking out every stray protein molecule.

I had a misconception that being "on steroids" involved the ingestion or injection of a single substance, but that was quickly dispelled. Many steroids on their own are either singular of purpose or not terribly effective. This is where "stacking" comes in: You can put on mass (75 mg of testosterone), provide muscle hardness (50 mg of Winstrol), and keep water retention to a minimum (50 mg of Equipoise). This stack is injection-intensive: testosterone and Equipoise twice weekly, Winstrol daily. Eleven injections a week.

But that's only steroids. You need drugs to stave off the potential side effects: hair loss, gynecomastia (buildup of breast tissue due to increased estrogen, aka gyno, aka bitch tits), testicular atrophy, cranial and prostate swelling, erratic sex drive, liver impairment, hemorrhoids, impotence, cysts, acne, abscesses, renal failure. Hair loss, gyno, and testicular atrophy should be considered absolute rather than potential hazards: You simply cannot alter your body's chemical makeup so drastically without your body reacting. My own steroid cycle:

-- Dianabol (10 mg tabs, three per day for the first four weeks)

-- Testosterone cypionate (500 mg per week, ten weeks)

-- Equipoise (400 mg per week, ten weeks)

-- Nolvadex (antiestrogen drug; one to four pills daily depending on week)

-- Proviron (male-menopause drug; 25 mg daily)

-- HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin, derived from the urine of pregnant women; used during postcycle therapy to restore natural testosterone levels; 500 iu's twice weekly, administered with an insulin needle)

Some of this stuff showed up in the Mitchell report -- Lenny Dykstra allegedly bought Deca-Durabolin, testosterone, and Dianabol when he was with the Phillies, and Jose Guillen and infielder Matt Williams were both mentioned as testosterone-cypionate users. Doesn't look like it, but mine was a fairly mild cycle. Including diuretics and cutting and hardening agents, professional bodybuilders may have fifteen substances floating around in their systems at any given time. Like alcohol or drugs, a body's tolerance builds up. Top pros might inject up to 2,500 mg of testosterone weekly to produce the desired effect.

The first week of the cycle, my nipples start to itch. Onset of gynecomastia.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Part 3

I went up to 100-pounders -- benching roughly my own body weight. I'd been locked at 160 to 170 pounds for years, and in the course of a single workout, I'd shot up 30 pounds.

My workout weights skyrocketed. I was doing wide-grip chin-ups with a 35-pound plate strapped to my waist, shoulder-pressing 75-pound dumbbells, slapping 45-pound plates on the biceps bar, and bottoming out Nautilus machines. My body exploded -- 205 pounds to 235 in the space of a few weeks. In 'roider vernacular, I'd "swallowed the air hose."

I became a huffer, a grunter, a screamer. Anyone who frequents gyms knows those guys who make ungodly noises while hurling weight around. I'd always found their displays childish and tended to look away, as I would from a toddler having a tantrum in a supermarket. So imagine my surprise to find myself bellowing, shrieking, groaning. A silverback gorilla's mating ritual: I wanted everyone to know I was the biggest, toughest motherfucker in the joint.

"Hoooo-aaahhh!"

"Eeeeeee-yahhh!"

"Wa-wa-wa-euuuugh-UH!"

Look at me! I'm a big, strong boy!

It was pathetic. I should have known better -- actually, I did know better, but I didn't let that stop me. Those "pumps" clouded all judgment. My glances at the gym mirrors were at first baffled, "Is that me?" double takes that mutated into looks of preening narcissism. I noticed how light played upon my chest and arms, the pockets of blue shadow filling my new contours.

All fake. Chemical sorcery. Freakish. I hadn't earned it. But it's like the woman with giant fake breasts: Everyone knows they're fake, but dammit if they don't still draw the looks.

That oil I shot into my hip hadn't dissolved. A deep, throbbing pain convinced me I'd developed an abscess. I had a pouch of weeks-old oil inside my hip, walled off by my immune system. If I was lucky, it was sterile. If not, it was infected, the surrounding tissue gone necrotic.

I decided to drain it by injecting an empty needle to draw out the stale oil. My hope was that it was still liquid; if it was congealed, gone to lard, I'd need medical attention.

The needle sunk into the pocket of infected tissue. The pain was expected and oddly bearable. Drawing back the plunger only earned me a few drops of clear broth. I disconnected the syringe and left the needle jutting out, applying pressure to the surrounding skin. Blackish fluid the consistency of crankcase oil dripped out. Disgusting and scary, but the pressure subsided. Once I'd squeezed it out, I filled another syringe with sterile water, attached it to the needle still stuck in my skin, injected it, unclipped the syringe, and squeezed the water out.

A decent job for an untrained meatball the likes of myself. Did the trick: A week later, I could comfortably sleep on my side again.

Week twelve I max out at 240 pounds. Packed on 35 pounds in less than three months.

My body had gone through an extreme thickening process. Pectoral muscles: solid slabs of meat hung off my clavicles. Latissimus dorsi muscles flared out from the midpoint of my back: the "cobra's hood." Triceps and biceps so swelled, my T-shirt sleeves bunched up at my shoulders, too narrow to fit over my arms.

Couldn't walk more than a few blocks before a fist-sized stone settled upon my lower back. There were areas I could not reach due to my new size; to scratch my back, I went to the kitchen for a fork.

One night I was watching a legal drama, one of those ripped-from-the-headlines shows. A morbidly obese man was suing a snack-cake company, which he held responsible for his obesity. The main ingredient in those snack cakes was high-fructose corn syrup, a compound that inhibits the hormone leptin, which signals to the brain that the stomach is full. Essentially, leptin tells us to stop eating. But if this signal is never received, a person will eat past the point of reason or safety.

Steroids are like high-fructose corn syrup: They fool a body into a sense that it is stronger and more resilient than it is. You accomplish feats that in your heart and mind you know are beyond you, but you feel so good, so damn strong, you convince yourself otherwise. After the weight-room euphoria wears off, you're forced to acknowledge the effects of self-delusion. My joints felt hyperextended: constantly popping and cracking, noises like lug nuts in a cement mixer. I felt calcified, hardened, and frighteningly old.

Within a month after my cycle ends, everything has changed.

The first thing I notice upon waking these days is that I feel...well, good. No sluggishness, only minor joint pain. Genuinely refreshed. Then, on my way to the bathroom one morning, I sense a new weight between my legs -- my testicles! Great to have you back, boyos!

The feeling of elation lasts ten paces: my bed to the bathroom mirror.

I'm staring at a human boneyard. Where are my pecs? I see two shriveled bags hanging off my chest. Arms -- dear Lord, my arms! Shapeless shoestrings dangling from a pair of rotten-apple shoulders. Stomach a deflated clown balloon. Legs belonging to a coma victim.

Step on the scale: 222 pounds. Thirteen pounds, most of it fluid, shed virtually overnight.

Now, only the most deluded of 222-pound men can stare into a mirror and see a zombified horror staring back. But I'd lost it. Most of what I'd gained: washed away. Popeye without his spinach. Weak and broken and utterly human. All the needles, the piss of pregnant women running through my veins, the fainting spells and sleepless nights, the muscle knots and bitch tits and shrunken gonads and the hair in my food and fears of abscesses and caveman brow -- every risk I'd taken, all that sweat and toil for fuck-all.

Things worsened at the gym. Chest day: dumbbell presses. I settled on the nineties; if I could lift them, it'd be a ten-pound increase over my precycle max.

I barely got them off my chest. I struggled through a single rep, arms quaking, and hit failure. The dumbbells crashed down as I rolled awkwardly off the bench. A total fraud. Everyone who'd been watching me heave massive weight about, bellowing like a steer in rut -- all these knowing eyes saw me as a charlatan.

I fell into a funk. Scoured my apartment: the tuna, the protein powder -- trash-canned all of it. Next order of business: large pizza, pepperoni and double cheese, wolfed down with gulps from a two-liter bottle of Pepsi. I yearned to get fat and disgusting. The rational part of my mind went, You did the research. You knew this would happen. But the other part -- the part most closely tied to my body, the part now used to the weight-room glances and the more defined, burlier cast of my shadow, the part that relished people ceding room on narrow sidewalks -- was not to be consoled.

I went to the doctor's office. I felt much better with the cycle over, but I still suffered aches and pains. The results:

A partially herniated disc. The result of either bad posture or an accumulation of pressure due to excess body weight. A chiropractic visit was scheduled.

An enlarged prostate. I was prescribed Avodart, which did wonders.

Fluid buildup on left knee -- again, the result of excess weight.

The doctor told me he'd get back to me with the results of my blood work.

I started out overweight at 205 pounds, ended up 208. My body now looked worse than before the steroids. Bloated somehow, like I'd died, my body abandoned in a gassy swamp. Small but prominent nipple-nubbins poked out when I wore anything tighter than a golf shirt.

Had it been worth it? The question presupposes my expectation to benefit from the experience. I embarked on the cycle to bring a sense of real-world truth to my novel. Feel what my character felt, experience that portion of his life to write with conviction about it.

I was somewhat ashamed. What had I done to myself? Jeopardized my chances at having a child? I worried about that more than anything else.

Had it been worth it? Somewhere along the line I'd been let off the hook. My grandfather, father, uncles, men of generations past -- they didn't get the free pass I did. Their lives were poverty, wars, factory floors, untilled fields. They endured. What have I ever had to endure? I felt unworthy of all I'd been so carelessly given. And loathed myself for taking it. Maybe this was a way to put myself back on the hook.

Self-destruction is an underappreciated art form.

I currently weigh 170 pounds. The blood tests showed my liver values were totally out of whack. As I had never been able to convince a woman that I was a viable prospect to make a baby with before using, I'll never know if an inability to conceive, should that end up being the case, is attributable to steroids or the innate decrepitude of my seed.

Did I take steroids to write a book, or did I write a book as an excuse to take steroids? Often all you want is to step off the path you've carved, the terrain having become too rocky -- or in my case, too smooth. And when my body began to fall apart, when the drugs began to destroy me, I persisted under the belief that all suffering on my part was long past due. I would endure. The eventual understanding that a certain nobility underlay my grandfather's suffering, whereas mine was not much more than a masochistic stubbornness -- I'd like to think that stopped me. And when I'd stare at myself naked and porcine in the bathroom mirror, like some escapee from the island of Dr. Moreau, I told myself that if nothing else, I'd suffered. Ashamed to admit I took pride in that, too.

Read more: Side Effects of Steroids - Side Effects of Taking Anabolic Steroids - Esquire
      Follow us: @Esquiremag on Twitter | Esquire on Facebook
      Visit us at Esquire.com
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

Wow. Eye opening.
        sigpic

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

David Boston?

Comment

• Jules
            BMF
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Nasty.
            Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Great - though disturbing - read. Thanks for that, FT1.

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Took steroids so he could empathize with a character in a book he was writing. I hope he doesn't feel he needs to write a book about a guy who has a fetish for sticking flaming pokers up his ass.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

His next book should be about visiting a psychiatrist.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

The Aaron Hernandez story?
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Wheels
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • San Diego
                      • Send PM

There's a bit of irony here in that the author took PED's also to earn more money.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Sources: Bosch gave teens PEDs
                        Updated: July 26, 2013, 4:10 PM ET
                        By T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish | ESPN.com

Sources: Biogenesis Gave Teens PEDs
                        Porter Fischer, a former Biogenesis of America employee, claims Tony Bosch and Biogenesis provided HGH and other performance enhancing drugs to teenagers.Tags: Biogenesis, Tony Bosch, Porter

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The clinic operator at the heart of a Major League Baseball investigation provided performance-enhancing drugs to numerous high school students, according to former associates of Tony Bosch and documents obtained by "Outside the Lines."

One former Biogenesis of America employee, Porter Fischer, told "Outside the Lines" he regularly saw 16- and 17-year-old boys come to the clinic, sometimes with their fathers.

Asked what high school athletes were given, Fischer said: "Sports performance packages, which would include HGH, testosterone."

"Outside the Lines" obtained Biogenesis documents in February, and they include the names of 10 Miami-area high school baseball players and dollar amounts next to their names.

One former Biogenesis employee, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said such packages for young athletes generally relied on HGH and Sermorelin, a drug that stimulates growth hormone release in the body. Packages usually included little or no testosterone because the drug is generally considered not to be useful for performance enhancement in young athletes with naturally high levels.

The source said the young athletes regularly were injected with HGH and other prescription drugs in the Biogenesis office. Bosch is not a licensed physician, and HGH, testosterone and other hormones are not legally approved for use as performance enhancers.

"Outside the Lines" reporters who observed the clinic when it was open frequently saw athletic young men, sometimes with people who looked like their parents, entering and leaving the clinic.

Bosch, who has presented himself as a doctor for years, has been cooperating with Major League Baseball for more than a month, providing information on PED use by 20 to 25 major and minor league players. Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun has accepted a 65-game suspension for his connection to the clinic, and other players, notably Alex Rodriguez, are expected to receive suspensions within the next week or two.

Fischer told "Outside the Lines" that he and associates have identified as Biogenesis clients athletes from the NBA, NCAA, professional boxing, tennis and MMA, in addition to other professional baseball players who have not yet been named.

So far, Bosch, who could not be reached for comment, has not faced criminal charges. He was briefly investigated by the Florida Department of Health this year and received a $5,000 fine. Department of Health officials refused to comment on their investigation.

Two high school players listed in the documents are the sons of Lazaro Collazo, a longtime college pitching coach who worked at the University of Miami. Collazo is also listed in documents with the names of others identified by former Biogenesis employees as couriers for Bosch. Fischer and the other former Biogenesis employee said Collazo brought his sons and other minors to the clinic for treatment.

Reached by "Outside the Lines," Collazo several weeks ago said he never received PEDs from Bosch and that he does not know why his and his sons' names would be in Biogenesis records. He could not be reached for comment Friday.

"I just don't know," he said. "Look, I'm being polite, but you keep asking me things I don't know about. I never got anything from Tony Bosch."

Collazo has been a fixture, although controversial, for decades in the South Florida high school and amateur baseball community. He was the pitching coach at Miami for 17 years before resigning in 2003 in the wake of an NCAA investigation of the baseball program. The focus was on a private sports academy Collazo ran, with allegations that Miami players worked at the camp.

He resigned from a high school coaching job at Gulliver Prep in 2005 after he dropped his pants in the locker room following a loss. According to a Coral Gables police report, Collazo "pointed to his penis, testicles and asked the team if they had a set of these or were they equipped with a vagina."

Collazo, who later coached at the University of Louisville and the University of South Florida, is slated to give a deposition next month as a witness in the MLB case filed in March against Bosch and others. His attorney tried to block the deposition, but a Florida circuit court judge has ruled MLB can depose him.

Parents of other high school students listed in records did not return messages or denied having contact with Bosch.

Two other people identified in the records are Yuri Sucart and his son, cousins of Alex Rodriguez. The elder Sucart was identified as the relative who Rodriguez said had helped him acquire steroids more than 10 years ago when he went to the Texas Rangers.

The younger Sucart, a promising high school player, is listed as a client; his father, identified by numerous Bosch associates as regularly visiting the clinic, is listed along with Collazo as a courier.

Fischer said he was disappointed that law enforcement never pursued a case against Bosch, especially after he told investigators that Bosch had treated minors.

"[Some] of the time I would see some come in by themselves, but most of the time, their parents," he said. "But still, if a 16-year-old person can't tan without their parents' permission, I don't know how in the world it's possible that somebody can get this stuff.

"What kind of parent wants their child taking this kind of stuff?"
                        And it goes on and on.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X