• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

That game truly was there for the taking, "Milquetoast Whiz"

24 hours for it to sink in...and yes the Bolts had a good season overall, but that game was not our best showing and really a shame that we went out in such a disappointing manner.

"The better team won." Sure. They have more talent, and it showed as the game wore on and injuries and the TOP game took its toll. But this team was a dropped gimmie INT, phantom PI, and bizarro 3rd and 17 away from being right in it if not winning it. We knew we had to play a near perfect game to win, but we had the breaks in front of us to some extent.

The biggest culprit to me was Whiz and his stubborn gameplanning. Myself and others made the comment in several threads the week before the game that we shouldn't fall in love with the gameplan especially since we KNEW Denver was going to come in trying to stop the run and you knew all week your biggest weapon on the ground was gimpy at best.

Did we attempt a single screen all game? Playaction? Trick play? ANYTHING to keep the defense from just teeing off on us? It's one thing to enter the game with a specific idea on what you want to do, but don't be afraid to be versatile and change gears when it's not working. Phil Simms and LT both blasted the playcalling the first 3 quarters. Yes I know about the wind and poor pass blocking, but see above, re: screens, draws, something to cool off an over-aggressive defense.

The playcalling sucked, flat out. This team is better off without Whiz, by far.

I know there's already a big McCoy thread but I hope now that he has some experience under his belt, maybe he'll feel more comfortable making gameday "suggestions" to his OC when something is or isn't working. Or maybe that's not his style. Maybe he prefers to let the coordinator do everything. That's fine, but somebody's gotta know that pounding Danny Woodhead on 1st down up the middle for 2 yards when you're down 17 is just sheer madness. Be the head coach, be the boss.

Other than that, it was real good to get these young guys some playoff experience. Hopefully they are wiser and hungrier for it, and Telesco continues to stack this team.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02
  • Boltimore
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Naples, FL
    • Retired
    • Send PM

I agree, but I think the game plan was to not make mistakes. To that end, other than penalties, it was successful, Denver turned the ball over 4 times including the OS kick? that said, it shouldn't have taken so long to realize the running game wasn't going to get it done, and that Rivers needed to take it over.

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltimore View Post
      I agree, but I think the game plan was to not make mistakes. To that end, other than penalties, it was successful, Denver turned the ball over 4 times including the OS kick? that said, it shouldn't have taken so long to realize the running game wasn't going to get it done, and that Rivers needed to take it over.
      I hear ya...but why hide your $90 mil QB until the 4th quarter?

I get the wind, poor OL, etc....but there are ways to get him and the passing game involved.

Whiz was in over his head this game.

Comment

• RobH
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Tokyo, Japan
        • University English Lecturer
        • Send PM

Yeah, even a play action short pass on first down would have been nice in the second or third quarters.

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2013
          • Send PM

What bothers me is we didn't seem to have anything new cooked up at all. No wrinkles, nothing. Just plain and that is disappointing and I think it's adding to the belief Whiz was distracted. Whiz is kind of known as a guy that likes to try a trick play here and there to too, HB pass, reverse, double reverse, flea flicker and so on. Would have been nice to at least see something new, that first half was just terrible.

I think Whiz is a good coach though, I'm not going to hate on him too hard and I think he added a lot to this team. But it was a crappy effort on his part it seems.
          Last edited by Guy Lombardo; 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Trick pkays?, is Cam Cameron avialible?

Woodhead fumblerooskie play?
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              Trick pkays?, is Cam Cameron avialible?

Woodhead fumblerooskie play?
              Anything!

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

It's kind of pointless to play the what if game, but what if Mathews and Clary had been able to play? I think it may have been a far different game. But they couldn't and trying to run the same game plan without the players to do it obviously didn't work.

I was listening to the radio and they were saying Mathews was limping badly going from the team bus to the stadium before the game so they knew he wasn't going to last long. I'm not really interested in going back and re-watching the game, but I sure don't remember many of our WR or TEs getting much separation at all in the first half I'm not so convinced that opening up the passing game was going to work real well.

Comment

• RobH
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Tokyo, Japan
                  • University English Lecturer
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  It's kind of pointless to play the what if game, but what if Mathews and Clary had been able to play? I think it may have been a far different game. But they couldn't and trying to run the same game plan without the players to do it obviously didn't work.

I was listening to the radio and they were saying Mathews was limping badly going from the team bus to the stadium before the game so they knew he wasn't going to last long. I'm not really interested in going back and re-watching the game, but I sure don't remember many of our WR or TEs getting much separation at all in the first half I'm not so convinced that opening up the passing game was going to work real well.
                  No they weren't getting much separation, but the passes at that time were obvious passing situations. If we had used Mathews a few times as the fake lead back on play action, the Broncos would have had to honor it and then maybe we would have gotten more separation. That's what bothered me more than anything. The D was obviously playing the run on first down, and even a little deception would have helped, IMO.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I think I've seen teams known for a strong running game even start their first series of the game with a little play action pass... I think.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I'm not sure it's fair to completely blame Whiz about the playcalling when nobody is really sure what input McCoy had. We'll find out next year I suppose.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                        I'm not sure it's fair to completely blame Whiz about the playcalling when nobody is really sure what input McCoy had. We'll find out next year I suppose.
                        You'd think the HC would step in and say something about the playcalling. I would think that's his job.
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                        X