• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Justin Jackson

We are all pretty depressed about Melvin, so I thought instead of focusing on him in this thread, maybe we could talk about Justin Jackson, who is likely to see the field a lot, maybe even start, in the next few games. Depends on what they want Ekeler's role to be to make him most effective.

The good: He is just as fast, maybe slightly faster than Gordon. He reads holes quickly, has great vision and balance, and is a very elusive back. He also has good hands and can run the screens and dumpoffs. He played A LOT in college (in fact that was one of the knocks on him -- high mileage) and is supposed to be a very football smart player.

The bad: He has zero power. He is a very slender 199 (it kills me when they get so precise with weight! Usually it is because the guy is 10 lbs lighter in actuality). Will go down on first contact in the NFL a lot. Not going to power through tackles on short yardage like Gordon can. Not sure he can grind out tough runs.

Maybe mixing in Detrez will help?

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

I dee Ek getting a lot of play time as he should. Keep him fresh with Jackson but also see how Jackson responds. Jackson looked good to me yesterday...he gets moving upfield quicker than Gordon imo. Good cuts and enough power to be effective.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

I thought Jackson looked good. I agree it will be a committee. Ekeler will carry most of the load, with Jackson and Newsome mixed in.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
          I dee Ek getting a lot of play time as he should. Keep him fresh with Jackson but also see how Jackson responds. Jackson looked good to me yesterday...he gets moving upfield quicker than Gordon imo. Good cuts and enough power to be effective.
          I love Gordon. But it seems like vision and reading holes are not natural for him. He has to really work to do it, so he is often a hair late. He has improved quite a bit in that department and the better blocking helps, too. Jackson has the innate ability to do those things, so I agree he does look like he gets up field quicker.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

I want Gordon but if our blocking is there then Ek and Jackson I think can show well. Ek hits the hole like he is shot out of a cannon...very Woodhead like but I think with better balance and speed to the edge....hes just damn quick. It pains me not seeing Ek get more carries as I think hes far better in 3rd down and screens than Gordon...as good as Gordon is that is how good Ek is imo. Very few negative plays for him...he gets moving so quick forward.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Im hoping to see more 3-4 wr sets in this game. Show something new and unpredictable.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
              X