• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

OT - "Friday Night Tykes"

Anybody catch this? "Friday Night Tykes" follows five youth football teams in Texas. Apparently something called the Esquire Network is showing this, but tonight they showed the first episode on the USA Network. Pretty eye-opening and intense stuff.

Esquire is your destination for the latest news headlines, culture coverage, political developments, celebrity interviews, mens fashion advice, and food & drink recipes.

I'll have to check that out. One of the things that blew me away when I first moved to Oklahoma in 2003 was that I turned on the tv, and while flipping channels, came across a televised football game of 3rd grade boys. I knew right then that they take their football way too seriously in these parts.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

I watched the first 15 minutes and I'll watch the rest after work today. Very interesting; one might even say disturbing. Depends on your point of view.

Comment

• Yubaking
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Living in Texas for almost three years now and having watched the lead in to the program (only), I have to say that it does not surprise me. In youth sports in general, but especially football, numerous parents and coaches more or less act like they are in a roid rage. I question some of the coaching approaches taken with respect to very young children and figure that it is likely over the line as I am the most competitive person I know and I see things that I would not coach regardless of winning and losing. You have to wonder what values are being instilled in the children whose parents and coaches carry on as I have seen them do.

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

There are a couple of disturbing scenes, one involving a kid taking a head on collision and told to shake it off (no concussion protocol whatsoever) and another where a coach instructs his player to cheat on the opening play in an attempt to intimidate the other side. I don't know if this is the norm for all youth football but this particular league is deplorable.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Sorry, based on what I heard of the show, I won't raise its advertising karma by watching it. Exploiting children too young to know shouldn't be TV fare. I have the same feeling about Honey Boo Boo, and the pageants for tots... its really about the idiocy of parents that do this crap.

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              Sorry, based on what I heard of the show, I won't raise its advertising karma by watching it. Exploiting children too young to know shouldn't be TV fare. I have the same feeling about Honey Boo Boo, and the pageants for tots... its really about the idiocy of parents that do this crap.
              You mean Honey Boo Boo is a real thing and not a South Park creation???
              Adipose

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                You mean Honey Boo Boo is a real thing and not a South Park creation???
                I was forced to watch (due to the preference of my company at the time) the Honey Boo Boo program once. I am pretty sure I lost 10 points off of my IQ right then and there by being subjected to it. I was wondering if it was the functional equivalent of having someone strike you violently in the head with a large mallet.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I've never watched Honey Boo Boo so I don't know what that's all about. This show appeals to me because I have kids who play sports.

Comment

Working...
                  X