• Show
Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

unless they changed the rules- G4 loans are ONLY available when you rebuild in your current location. This was discussed many multiple times in print in the run up to the move. The NFL had actually sweetened the deal for Spanos staying to $350 mil. I'm gonna stand by the position Spanos forfeited his right to ANY G4 money by moving- until somebody provides substantiated proof here he still got the G4 loan.

Also the real pipe dream is the idea there is 5 times the profits to be made in LA- it just hasn't happened and is not going to. Total Fantasy as there is only so much discretionary sports income to go around in LA and the Chargers are ranked somewhere around 9th IIRC- behind the 2 baseball teams, 2 Basketball teams, hockey, and even USC and UCLA football in polls I have seen. You can go check the Forbes recent valuations and it was barely higher than their last year in SD. The team CLAIMED they made as much on ticket sales as the previous years, but of course they never publish the numbers or open the books to scrutiny in the NFL so nobody knows for sure. They DID recently publish their projections for PSL sales $ (cut it by 1/2) and released expected new ticket pricing going into Kroenkeworld and the ticket prices are dropping from nearly highest to nearly lowest in the NFL when they move to new stadium.

Again, I'm not arguing the team would move back to SD. but I don't think they are a lock to stick it out in LA if there is an ownership change.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I don't think they would be welcome in San Diego anymore than they are in LA. I don't know any Charger fans in San Diego anymore. They're all off doing something else.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post

unless they changed the rules- G4 loans are ONLY available when you rebuild in your current location. This was discussed many multiple times in print in the run up to the move. The NFL had actually sweetened the deal for Spanos staying to $350 mil. I'm gonna stand by the position Spanos forfeited his right to ANY G4 money by moving- until somebody provides substantiated proof here he still got the G4 loan.

Also the real pipe dream is the idea there is 5 times the profits to be made in LA- it just hasn't happened and is not going to. Total Fantasy as there is only so much discretionary sports income to go around in LA and the Chargers are ranked somewhere around 9th IIRC- behind the 2 baseball teams, 2 Basketball teams, hockey, and even USC and UCLA football in polls I have seen. You can go check the Forbes recent valuations and it was barely higher than their last year in SD. The team CLAIMED they made as much on ticket sales as the previous years, but of course they never publish the numbers or open the books to scrutiny in the NFL so nobody knows for sure. They DID recently publish their projections for PSL sales $ (cut it by 1/2) and released expected new ticket pricing going into Kroenkeworld and the ticket prices are dropping from nearly highest to nearly lowest in the NFL when they move to new stadium.

Again, I'm not arguing the team would move back to SD. but I don't think they are a lock to stick it out in LA if there is an ownership change.
        Alex Spanos, who bought control of the Chargers in 1984, wasn't part of the decision to relocate the team to Orange County.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Tijuana
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          I don't think they would be welcome in San Diego anymore than they are in LA. I don't know any Charger fans in San Diego anymore. They're all off doing something else.
          Under new ownership...there would be a parade

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

Under new ownership...there would be a parade
            Yes....but the parade would be in front of other teams fans in a broken down venue with plenty of leftover space. But the tailgate area would be awesome.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

thanks for taking time to post that, but... "The project must not involve any relocation
              1. Only public-private stadium projects are eligible for the G-4 loans;
              2. The NFL will determine the G-4 loan issuances on a case-by-case basis;
              3. The NFL will provide franchises up to $200 million for constructing a new stadium;
              4. If a franchise renovates their stadium, the NFL will provide up to $250 million;
              5. The G-4 financing will be repaid over a period of fifteen years derived from premium seating ticket revenue;
              6. [33] and
              7. Only projects costing $400 million and with a private contribution from the team of at least $200 million will be eligible for the top loan level.[34]"
              The very last paragraph includes this, which lazy sports writers are using and in the article you posted:

"Recently, the race to Los Angeles (LA) was ultimately decided in meetings on January 11 and 12, 2016, by NFL owners to permit the St. Louis Rams (Rams) to relocate to LA in 2016, which also impacted NFL subsidies to stadiums.[59] In those meetings, the NFL offered the San Diego Chargers (Chargers) and the Oakland Raiders (Raiders) an additional $100 million to assist those franchises in stadium solutions in their home markets.[60] Both the Chargers and the Raiders were in the running to relocate to LA as well, however, it is still possible for another team to relocate to LA.[61] Chargers owner Dean Spanos possesses an exercisable option that is valid until January 2017, which allows him to relocate to LA and join the Rams as either a partner or a tenant in the new Inglewood stadium that is expected to open for the 2019 NFL regular season.[62] If Spanos does not exercise his option, the Raiders will receive a one-year exercisable option to relocate to LA.[63] The Inglewood stadium is expected to cost about $3 billion, and could possibly receive two, $200 million G-4 loans from the NFL if another NFL franchise joins the Rams as either a partner or a tenant.[64]"

That last line (bolded) is obviously factually incorrect, as the Rams both relocated AND changed their home territory which clearly violates the G4 program guidelines and the Chargers also violated the guidelines by relocating, and their attempt to claim LA as their "home market" was shot down by NFL during the discussions before relocation votes were taken by NFL owners.

Here's the link to this attorney site spelling out history of the G3 predecessor and G4 current loan guarantee program. Hopefully you have some legal background, or at least a certificate from The Evelyn Woods Speed-Reading Institute as there is a lot of boring legaleze to get to middle and end where all this is spelled out.

https://www.greenberglawoffice.com/n...-art-stadiums/
              Last edited by SDFan; 11-29-2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

The NFL makes the rules and the NFL can change the rules. They already agreed to the G4 loans for Inglewood

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                  The NFL makes the rules and the NFL can change the rules. They already agreed to the G4 loans for Inglewood
                  link?

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

I don't know about this money stuff as I never paid much attention to it but I did read that they said the Chargers would still make money in LA even if the stands were empty every week from the TV market and whatever else they said
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-29-2018, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Maybe the new stadium will be able to put virtual fans in the seats. After the first year newness, and possible retirement of Rivers, its going to be pretty embarrassing to show the crowds for Charger games in Kronke's hole in the ground.

Comment

• SDFan
                          Woober Goober
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Dolores, CO
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Not even. Had the Chargers stayed in SD and built a new stadium, they qualified for G4 loans by meeting the existing criteria. The NFL didn't want Kroenke to go to LA, but he said Fuck it, I'm going, try to stop me like Al Davis did (and the NFL lost in court). NFL didn't want EITHER the Raiders or Rams back in LA- so teams could keep using the Extortion Bitch threat of "moving to LA" to get new publicly funded stadiums in their existing homes. They NFL came right out and said they wanted all teams to remain in their existing home, but Kroenke was going no matter what. The extra $100 Mil for both Chargers and Raiders was basically a bribe to try to get them to stay put. When negotiations got going in SD for the downtown stadium the NFL made it known there was even more available and it turned their total into a final offered contribution of $350 Mil from G4 and other funds if Spanos and SD came up with the rest for that $1.1 or later $1.6 Bil? stadium.

Again, I got no dog in fight. It just looks to me like some false information out there and I posted what I found on the G4 program. I can't find anywhere that the NFL bylaws got amended to fund loans for teams that relocate like some writers have published. Maybe somebody else can find it if it happened and post it here for all to see?

Comment

Working...
                          X