Welcome Metzelaars

TE Coach
    Hashtag thepowderblues
  • Geezbolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Sun Valley, ID
    • Send PM

I like it. He was a pretty good TE in his day. A good receiving tight end too if I recall.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

certainly should be familiar with Reich.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Interesting hire. Looks like he was coaching O Line for a while as well with the Colts. Sure as hell could help to improve our TEs blocking a bit. Also like that he has a relationship with Reich already.

Comment

The San Diego Chargers hired Pete Metzelaars to coach the team’s tight ends, the team announced today.

Metzelaars played tight end in the NFL for 16 seasons before transitioning into coaching. A third-round pick by Seattle in 1982 (75th overall), Metzelaars played professionally for the Seahawks (1982-84), Buffalo Bills (1985-94), Carolina Panthers (1995) and Detroit Lions (1996-97). He spent 10 of his 16 pro seasons in Buffalo where he played in four Super Bowls (XXV, XXVI, XXVII and XXVIII). Metzelaars retired after the 1997 season having played in 235 career games, which at the time was the most by a tight end in NFL history, including a stretch of 169 consecutive games from 1984-95. His final career totals included 383 catches for 3,686 yards and 29 touchdowns. Two of the more notable catches during his career were a touchdown catch in Super Bowl XXVI on Jan. 26, 1992 against the Washington Redskins and in 1995 he caught the first touchdown pass in Carolina Panthers’ franchise history. Metzelaars’ career honors included an all-rookie selection with Seattle in 1982 along with being named to Buffalo’s 50th Anniversary All-Time Team in 2009. He was also selected as a Pro Bowl alternate three times during his career.

Metzelaars moved into coaching immediately after retiring as a player, taking over as the offensive coordinator at Charlotte Christian School from 1998-02. In 2003, he moved on to Wingate (N.C.) University, as an offensive assistant coach, while also completing a training camp internship with the Indianapolis Colts and an offseason stint with NFL Europe’s Barcelona Dragons. A year later in 2004, Metzelaars joined the Colts full-time as an offensive quality control coach and spent eight seasons there, including four in quality control (2004-07), two as assistant offensive line coach (2008-09) and two as the offensive line coach (2010-11). In 2010, his first season overseeing the offensive line in Indianapolis, the Colts allowed just 16 sacks, tied for the fewest in the NFL, despite starting four different combinations along their line during the season. Their ratio of just one sack allowed for every 43.4 pass attempts was the second-best in franchise history. Metzelaars tenure in Indianapolis ended in 2011 and he spent the 2012 season coaching tight ends for the Buffalo Bills.

A native of Three Rivers, Michigan, Metzelaars prepped at Portage (Mich.) Central High School. He played collegiately at Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana, competing on an undefeated football team, while also helping lead the Little Giants’ basketball team to a NCAA Division-III national championship. Metzelaars earned a degree in economics at Wabash. He is a member of the school’s athletic hall of fame and in 2011, he was inducted into the Academic All-American Hall of Fame.

Metzelaars, (53), and his wife, Barbara, have two sons: Anthony and Jonathan.

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2013
            • Send PM

It is interesting for a number reasons. One he played in the K-Gun and then look, he also played with Reich in Carolina and Detroit. Then he coached Oline for the Colts and had some really good seasons, but the connection to Telesco starts here as well as a connection to the Peyton style offense, which McCoy also had experience with in 2012.

So we continue to see a connection to the Bills Super Bowl teams and the (K-Gun) and Peyton's Colts teams. It's just interesting to see all the connections here and Kevin Spencer was also with the Colts for a few years.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

He was also on the Colts staff at the same time as our new OC, as well as his former teammate from Buffalo.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                he spent the 2012 season coaching tight ends for the Buffalo Bills.http://www.chargers.com/news/article...2-e3b3880871b4
                looks like he coached Buff TEs the same time coach D' was Buff OL coach so they should click immediately to improve the blocking by our TEs. I see this as an upgrade over the guy we lost.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• homeless simpson
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

i thinks it's time we bring back James Lofton too lol

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                    i thinks it's time we bring back James Lofton too lol
                    I would rather bring Wes Chandler in from Cal. He seems to have coached KA up very well. Rookies just don't run routes like that straight out of College.
                    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                    sigpic

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                      I would rather bring Wes Chandler in from Cal. He seems to have coached KA up very well. Rookies just don't run routes like that straight out of College.
                      Chandler was a master route runner, as was his partner on the other side Joiner. Man we had it good with those guys in the 80s.

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2013
                        • Send PM

I'm not sure it can be coached. Check out what he did to this KC DB

: 5:14

Comment

Working...
                        X