• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

OT: There are good people in sports

Athletes take a lot of crap for all the stuff they do wrong (and there is a lot of it), I just want to publicize a guy who does things right. And quite frankly, it was easier for him to never get involved than to put this much effort into helping Snow's family. Good job Tim.

Flannery gives $96K to Stow family
    Updated: January 27, 2014, 6:00 PM ET
    Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- Tim Flannery, the Giants' third-base coach and an accomplished musician, presented the family of Bryan Stow with $96,000 Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt contributed $25,000 to match Flannery's initial total and former Giants great-turned-instructor Will Clark wrote a $10,000 check.

"I don't think we could even begin to explain how much the efforts of all the people involved mean to us," Stow's sister, Bonnie Stow, wrote in an email Monday. "They're all busy people, with their own lives going on, yet they take the time to put on these shows to help Bryan. It's like 'thank you' just isn't enough.

[+] EnlargeTim Flannery
    AP Photo/George NikitinTim Flannery presented Bryan Stow's family with $96,000 to help with his care as he continues to deal with traumatic injuries from a 2011 attack at Dodger Stadium.

"Even when he's not playing these shows, Tim stays in touch with our family and sends his love to Bryan continuously. He's amazing."

Flannery presented Bonnie Stow with the envelope of money before his show Saturday in Santa Cruz, where the Stow family lives and where Bryan is being cared for by his parents, Dave and Ann.

"She kind of went quiet, and both of us kind of broke down and just held each other for a while," Flannery said. "I told her, 'All the people who wrote checks and all the people who brought their gifts, everybody loves you and everybody loves your family.'"

Flannery's band dedicated the song "You Have My Word" to Stow's parents. Flannery received a photo Sunday from the family of the couple holding hands during that song while on a rare evening out.

"It felt like this is a great opportunity to let the family know that people still are thinking about them," Flannery said. "More than anything, it allows them to know that people still care, people still think about them. That has always been the story -- everybody else showing up and giving of themselves. I play the music. It inspires me to just keep doing it. It's not that difficult for me doing what I always do."

In all, Flannery held 24 concerts during the baseball offseason.

As he told his music crew and support staff of the success, "We went 24-0."
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • thelightningwill
    Go Aztecs and Pads
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Flan's rad. What's he doing with the Giants?

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

It's painful to see Flannery in a Giant uniform.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
        Flan's rad. What's he doing with the Giants?
        He's their third base coach. Bochy brought him to SF after he got the manager job. Two more outcast San Diegans getting rings elsewhere.

Comment

• TABF
          Por debajo del promedio
          • Jun 2013
          • SoCal
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          It's painful to see Flannery in a Giant uniform.
          Every time I hear it, it bums me out. Played the game the right way, life long Pad.

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Flannery was clutch. Played the game the right way. Good to hear he's still doing great things.
            sigpic

Comment

• thelightningwill
              Go Aztecs and Pads
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Giving the Giants credit for Flan is like saying the Golden Gate Bridge is in Del Mar.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Saw his show @ the Belly Up last year. Good stuff.

Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beer Holder
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X