• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MassGeneralBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I hope Telesco took some important notes from SB

It really doesn't matter how great your offense is , when your forced in elimination games to face a fierce defense more often than not defense prevails and the old adage defense wins championships held true to form . We need to get much faster and physical on defense if we want to win it all before Rivers' time is up
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Mars
    • Ball Holder
    • Send PM

Tackling, tackling, tackling. Donkeys are all about short passes, screens, picks (often the illegal kind) and the YAC they generate. When your defense can tackle, YAC is off the table. And this is the end result.

Only guy on our defense that can tackle that well is Weddle. They've got 11 guys that can do it just as well.

Comment

• MassGeneralBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Good point plus they have a pass rush with 4-5 Dlineman who can get Mr.Happy feet to play true to his choking standards

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Just about every 1st down that the Broncos got - and there weren't that many - in the first three quarters they had to scratch and claw to get. The Seahawks made them struggle for every last inch of real estate.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

They did what the Colts did times a thousand. Play their receivers physical, and the finesse team wilted badly.

Comment

• TABF
            Por debajo del promedio
            • Jun 2013
            • SoCal
            • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
            Tackling, tackling, tackling. Donkeys are all about short passes, screens, picks (often the illegal kind) and the YAC they generate. When your defense can tackle, YAC is off the table. And this is the end result.

Only guy on our defense that can tackle that well is Weddle. They've got 11 guys that can do it just as well.
            They are a pursuit defense and the first defender very rarely misses. I love their D. A lot of what we do on D can be changed with a legit corner (FA), a legit pass rusher (may already have one), and a new mind set on D. I think we have a descent DL, and I also think Addae is a good tackler.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

The impressive thing with Seattle's D is the number of late round picks starting for them.

The Super Bowl MVP was a 7th round pick in 2011, I think I read somewhere.

Richard Sherman was a 3rd round pick. The other corner starting across from him was a 5th round pick, I think. Cam Chancellor was a 5th round pick.

You need to have solid contributions from late picks. GM Schneider gets an A+++ grade.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Geezbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Sun Valley, ID
                • Send PM

The most interesting thing I heard about what Pete Carroll has done in Seattle came after the game when he was talking to Steve Young on ESPN. Young was curious about how Carroll has used psychological evaluation etc. to learn more about his players so they can acquire the types of players they want and as coaches they can work better with them. He also has apparently been using some "new-wave" training methods including yoga. What Carroll is doing is obviously involved and it sounds like he has put a lot of time and effort into developing it. Steve Young seemed to think this will be the new trend in the NFL.

Comment

• Kyle
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Heard Kirwin on NFLN saying Seattle practices tackling every Wednesday even during the season. Live tackling. He made that sound rare. I know teams don't get too physical in practice during the season but this surprised me. I was very impressed during the playoffs that I don't think I ever saw a Seattle player launch their body to just collide with someone - they always wrapped their guy up and brought him down.
                  sigpic

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                    Heard Kirwin on NFLN saying Seattle practices tackling every Wednesday even during the season. Live tackling. He made that sound rare. I know teams don't get too physical in practice during the season but this surprised me. I was very impressed during the playoffs that I don't think I ever saw a Seattle player launch their body to just collide with someone - they always wrapped their guy up and brought him down.
                    Seems as though they rely more on fundamentals and technique than scheme. Very well coached unit. I don't think they fooled the Broncos, they just beat them.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Teams tend to not practice l taking a guy to the ground because it dramatically increases the chances of someone getting hurt (offense or D). Some NFL teams focus on just doing the fit (getting into position), others more on gang tackling.

But the thing I liked about the Seahawks, wasn't even how successful they were at it, but how comfortable their players were. No hesitation, not delay. Everyone was comfortable, relaxed and confident. I did see a couple of times when Seahawks defenders only knock the guys down, and the couple cases, it was guys getting off blocks, so they couldn't get their arms in position. But they did such a good job of hitting through the player they were tackling, it didn't make any difference.

We don't have to be perfect, but if we could be more like Seattle in that regard, it would go a long way to making us a really good D.

They also do a really good job of shedding blocks. I didn't think Seattles run fits were any better by their DL then ours, but on almost they got off their blocks in time to make a tackle, where I kept imagining our guys not quite being ready yet. We don't shed blocks nearly well enough, especially the DL.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

I thought with the new CBA teams can only practice in pads x number of times a year? I forget the number but it's less than once a week. Are they practicing tackling with no pads or something? Are they violating the CBA rules?

Comment

Working...
                        X