• Show
Clear All
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Chargers won't use lease out clause

The San Diego Chargers did not execute their annual option to opt out of their Qualcomm Stadium lease, meaning they will play in the venerable stadium for the 2014 season, the team announced this week.

SAN DIEGO -- The Chargers did not execute their annual option to opt out of their Qualcomm Stadium lease, meaning they will play in the venerable stadium for the 2014 season, the team announced this week.

Since 2007, the lease between the City of San Diego and the Chargers permitted the team to terminate the lease at any time between February 1 and May 1 of each calendar year. The Chargers' decision not to opt out in 2014 was expected.

The Chargers have chosen to renew the lease each season, with the hope that the team can secure an agreement with the City of San Diego to build a new stadium to house the team.

"The team is continuing to work, as we have for more than a decade, on stadium solutions in San Diego, and we will not be triggering the out clause in our lease in 2014," said Michael Fabiani, special counsel to Chargers president Dean Spanos, and the point person for the team's effort to get a new stadium built.

The Chargers experienced improved fan support during the team's surprising postseason run in 2013, with just one game subject to a local blackout, compared to four in 2012. The team also recently told season-ticket holders that ticket prices will remain unchanged in 2014, the sixth time in seven years they have been kept flat.

The Chargers are working to create more of a home-field advantage at Qualcomm Stadium. Since 2011, the Chargers are 13-11 at home. And at several home games this year, large sections of Qualcomm Stadium were filled with the colors of the opposing team.
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Where would they go if they exercised the clause? The LA Coliseum?

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Nobody anywhere wants to build a stadium to get a team. So the Bolts are stuck here for now.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Hard Charger
        Chargers fan since 1977!
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

The Bolts are not stuck in San Diego! The Bolts are home, where they should be.

No sarcasm meant towards you FTO, in any way Bro.

HC

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Still find it very hard to believe the Spanos want to leave SD, particularly AG and John who have grown up in SD. It would be like ripping out a piece of your own heart. I'll keep believing they have no intention of leaving till they prove otherwise. It's not not like the team isn't highly profitable.

Comment

• Savage Lizard
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Big Bear
            • Self-employed property manager.
            • Send PM

I think they have demonstrated that they DON'T want to leave SD, but at some point they may just say fuck it, especially if somebody dangles a new stadium in front of them.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Doesnt the owner of the Rams own the Collisium?
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein
                Apparently the owner of the Rams now also owns 60 acres of parking lot between the Hollywood Park Racetrack and the Forum.
                http://www.latimes.com/sports/footba...0,620868.story
                Yea he also lives in Malibu apparently. Now if I was a Rams fan, I would be worried.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  Yea he also lives in Malibu apparently. Now if I was a Rams fan, I would be worried.
                  But if I were an L.A. Rams fan I'd be ecstatic.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I understand how we came to this point and all of the debate on both sides, but I'm just really tired of having to read this every February. Like we can wipe our foreheads and say "phew!" or we accomplished something. It's just lame. And I don't even live in San Diego.

Comment

• floydefisher
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • siberiacuse, ny
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                      Doesnt the owner of the Rams own the Collisium?
                      Nope....it's owned by the State of California, the County of LA, and the City of LA jointly.

Why the Chargers would even want to move there is beyond me...it's even worse than the Q.
                      sigpic

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
                        Nope....it's owned by the State of California, the County of LA, and the City of LA jointly.

Why the Chargers would even want to move there is beyond me...it's even worse than the Q.
                        They wouldn't and there is no other venue for them to move into so the non-use of the out clause announcement is basically a no-brainer until LA takes a shovel to dirt.

They will be at the Q until a) San Diego agrees to build them a new stadium b) L.A. gets it's shit together and builds one up there or c) another city steps up to the plate and lures the Chargers away with a new stadium deal. I'm betting on a) happening myself.

Comment

Working...
                        X