Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

DX just had a second...

ACL surgery. :facepalm: Sigh.

The universe has given SD Sports
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Beerman; 02-06-2014, 09:53 PM.
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Pretty sad:

Bolts' Alexander had 2nd ACL surgery
    By Michael Gehlken8 P.M.FEB. 6, 2014

Danario Alexander devoted months to knee rehab, working to return from an August injury as soon as possible.

It won't happen as soon as first hoped.

The Chargers wide receiver recently underwent additional surgery to repair the right knee injury that ended his 2013 season, sources said. The revision ACL surgery, performed in January as a follow-up to the primary reconstruction done in August, delays the original timetable for the impending free agent's return to football activities.

It also complicates whether he'll remain in San Diego next season, the chances appearing unlikely.

On March 11, Alexander will become an unrestricted free agent. He may be unavailable for the July start of training camp.

Medical issues are the one concern for a young, dynamic playmaker.

Alexander, as a midseason signing, was fantastic in 2012 for the Chargers. He caught 37 passes for 658 yards and seven touchdowns in the final nine games, all team highs in that span. He then was their most impressive receiver last offseason before bad luck on Aug. 6, the morning before his 25th birthday.

Alexander suffered an anterior cruciate ligament tear while running a route during a one-on-one drill. Nine days later, he had reconstructive surgery. Dr. James Andrews, who performed safety Brandon Taylor and linebacker Melvin Ingram's ACL reconstructions earlier in 2013, did the operation at his institute in Gulf Breeze, Fla.

When rehabbing, Alexander remained an active teammate.

The fourth-year veteran stayed in San Diego. He attended meetings and went on road trips.

This second surgery sets him back, but he is working to play in the 2014 season, sources said.

January's surgery was the second to Alexander's right knee. He's had five operations, which varied in invasivness, to his left. Moving forward, his status is one question mark for the Chargers' wide receiver corps.

Tenth-year veteran Malcom Floyd suffered a neck injury last August in Philadelphia. It ended his season and could possibly his career, although the latter has yet to be medically determined. Floyd, under contract for two more seasons, has said he hopes to continue playing. His physical ability to do so will become more clear in the coming weeks.

The Chargers also have a decision to make on Eddie Royal. He had 47 catches for 631 yards and a career-high eight touchdowns last season, but they would save $4.5 million in cap space with his release.

Keenan Allen and Vincent Brown are set to return in 2014.

Comment

• sandiego17
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Feel really bad for dx. Appears to be a great teammate, wish him well, hope he can get through this and come back to the nfl as a bolt.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I'm starting to have my doubts that DX will ever play again.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Minimum he needs a couple years off. WR in the draft was a given anyways.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Disappointing, he's probably done as a bolt. But what a shooting star he was.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

How many knee surgeries has he had now? He had more then I thought possible when we signed him initally.

The problem is that he was the best fit to our needs on O. He has the size/length/speed to get deep, but unlike Floyd he can run short slants and outs, making him a much better fit to our new O.

Floyd is also a nice compliment to our pressing needs, and between him and DX, I was hoping we could get a whole season out of both of them. It will be interesting to see what happens since now it seems like it might be optimistic to get anything out of either of them.

We still really need someone to stretch the field opposite Allen.

Comment

• MakoShark
                Disgruntled
                • Jun 2013
                • North Alabama
                • Send PM

Amazing how fast what was thought to be our deepest position is suddenly becoming a huge question mark. I'm worried for both DX and Floyd. I can't believe we may lose both. And, this news gives Royal's agent leverage against renegotiating his existing contract to something more team friendly.
                sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

OK, not a believer in curses...but I've never heard of "revision" ACL or Tommy John surgeries before. Perhaps I missed them, but I do know we got word of two revisions for SD sports teams this week. W.T.F.?

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

If I'm Telesco, I take a flyer that he makes it back and sign him before he hits the street. In my mind, he's worth the risk because when healthy, he's a premium NFL receiver.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

just confirms why I said scratch both DX and Floyd from our plans. People can stop speculating about VBrown returning now 2. Like it or not Allen and VBrown will be pencilled in as our starting WRs going into off season workouts. I expect they will quickly re-sign Tutu for a core of 3 + probably Lavelle Hawkins. Nothing wrong with a young core to build on. Add a mid-tier FA, draft pick and a invite a bunch of UDFA to camp. Still not convinced Royal is a luxury we can afford- even with such youth/inexperience in the core group and no established complement starting opposite Allen. Ladarius Green should have a greatly expanded role in the offense next year.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Viejo Bolt View Post
                        If I'm Telesco, I take a flyer that he makes it back and sign him before he hits the street. In my mind, he's worth the risk because when healthy, he's a premium NFL receiver.
                        when has he completed a full season as a healthy premiuim NFL receiver? If I'm TT I take the risk of letting him go to GET healthy (if he can) and if he's able to be added later, great.
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                        X