• Show
Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

It worked. *that's why it was the right call.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Finally a coach that gets it. I'm a fan of his for life if nothing else for that call. Sometimes you have to be bold to get that monkey off your back, ie 9 game losing streak.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Big Dog
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Comment

• Iowachargers
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Dow City, Iowa
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
          I agree going for 2 was an inspired call, but don't agree KC defense was either on the ropes or sucking. They sacked Rivers 5 times and hit him many others, knocked down a couple passes at LOS and were up the middle and in his face all night- mostly just using their front four. I hated all the passing in the Red zone TBH and thought they should have gone Jumbo and at least tried a couple run plays down there each time instead of having Rivers throw it up for grabs for possible INTs. They got lucky at the end last night with the questionable holding call setting things up and the busted coverage leaving Williams wide open.
          debbie downer snl GIF

Comment

• Boltergeist
            Pesky apparition
            • Jun 2013
            • Baja Oklahoma
            • Send PM

Hey, they misspelled Debbie Dower.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
              I agree going for 2 was an inspired call, but don't agree KC defense was either on the ropes or sucking. They sacked Rivers 5 times and hit him many others, knocked down a couple passes at LOS and were up the middle and in his face all night- mostly just using their front four. I hated all the passing in the Red zone TBH and thought they should have gone Jumbo and at least tried a couple run plays down there each time instead of having Rivers throw it up for grabs for possible INTs. They got lucky at the end last night with the questionable holding call setting things up and the busted coverage leaving Williams wide open.
              Questionable holding call....u select one call of all the multitiude of missed and questionable calls for and against each team all night and label it lucky? what about the questionable PI on King and other flags that gave KC their 4th td drive? Or the play right before where they missed the obvious helmet 2 helmet with leading with the crown on Rivers?

Comment

• Screeme
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

In the moment I was shocked. (Quite frankly, I wasn't in the room. I was so sure we were kicking the Extra Point, I went to put my kids to bed, so I wouldn't miss much OT. When suddenly I heard screaming from the living room)

But in reflection, you're absolutely right. It was a no brainer. Probably better odds to win it there than in OT, even if we get the ball first. And as you said, the win meant everything, the loss, not so much. I would surmise Lynn thought this all through during the drive, while we were all just hoping we'd score. But I like to think Lynn processed all of this in the moment, like some sort of A Beautiful Mind style football genius.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Questionable holding call....u select one call of all the multitiude of missed and questionable calls for and against each team all night and label it lucky? what about the questionable PI on King and other flags that gave KC their 4th td drive? Or the play right before where they missed the obvious helmet 2 helmet with leading with the crown on Rivers?
                  Lighten up Francis. Tell me you (and other non analytical haters here) didn't think this game had another L stamped on it from the 1st quarter just like the previous 9 games against the Chefs. Go back and read the game day thread and see how many regulars here gave up early and complained about each Chargers mistake and performance of the lines, ETC etc.

Since you didn't get it, my point was- in the past the Chargers DON'T win these kinds of games when they shoot themselves in the foot and all the calls go against them. I wasn't selecting a single questionable penalty call as the only reason they won, and of course I saw all the non-calls you and others complain about- and those exactly PROVE MY POINT. In the past the team loses a game like this and they DON'T get that questionable penalty on the road on National TV to give them a chance to pull it out. I call that lucky, but you can call it a "make up penalty" for the helmet hit on Rivers or karma or whatever you want if that makes you feel better. To further raise the stakes of improbability of pulling it off- the Chefs inexplicably bust the pass coverage on MW letting Rivers lob an easy completion in there to win it. On a 2 point conversion no less. When was the last time THAT happened for the Chargers to seal a big national TV game?

Chargers fans have complained forever about getting hosed by officials, the years long injury bug epidemic, and bad luck ruining the team's chances of success. Now with the big Pitt win and this win, the 1st 2 items above are still working against them, but it seems like maybe the luck part has finally turned after all these years. Luck is a good thing, celebrate it instead of refusing to accept it helped the team win the game.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Lightnin'
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

...huh ?

No explanation necessary; it worked.

We may or may not win another game this season (we will), but-we're in the playoffs after
                    Thursday.

I'm all-in with Coach Lynn; he's brought a uniquely "wynning" attitude to the Chargers.
                    San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• HollywoodLeo
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Comment

• RTPbolt
                        Charger Fan till the end
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Carolina
                        • Send PM

Frankly Williams WAS interfered with on the play...the db held his left arm straight down....no way a receiver doesnt try to get the second arm moving upward on an attempted catch. While it may be looked at as minor the db definitely pulled on his hand per video.

The refs botched a lot of noncalls for sure. The helmet to helmet on Rivers was bad to miss. Rivers seems to get a pass on getting calls for being hit in the head...seen numerous other qbs get head slap penalties but for whatever reason Rivers doesnt get those calls. Rivers knee was even down so a late hit could have been called too. He just isnt protected by the refs the same for whatever reason. I dont think its collusion by the refs...they arent that organized to fix games like that. I just think maybe his toughness comes into play or refs are focusing on our OL for holds when hes getting pressure.

to the thread title...given I DO think their D was on their heels and they are in the bottom of the league on D...after two series of pretty much 8 minutes we had the ball i think their D was playing bend but dont break. They probably were a bit shocked and down giving up two TDs already and not expecting a 2 point play and were just not ready. It was gutsy but id say the odds with all that in mind were in our favor...we had them on the ropes...go for the last knock out swing....direct hit...KO. Never let a #1 offense back on the field is a smart move. I think given all that we make the 2 pt play in 2 of 3 tries.

For the 3rd or more time THIS season i was stunned and joyous like LT making the 4th touchdown against Denver to break the TD record....it was Fricken awesome. One of the most memorable moments all time as a Charger fan. Pitt and Seattle game were up there too.

There is a Gleam, men! Teams are on notice....we are not afraid of your stadium...in fact I think it brings a focus we miss at home. Fifth seed is ok with me...earn every win in their stadium so there is no doubt we are coming to play to the last second.
                        Last edited by RTPbolt; 12-15-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I don't think that going for 2 should be controversial, because the kick is not as automatic as it used to be. In the past, though, the Chargers did have problems of punching it in for a TD close to the goal line. Yet the Chargers now have made 3 consecutive 2 point attempts.

For this certain 2 point attempt, the Chiefs fans do have a point that their D made it real easy for the Chargers, but cynical Charger fans could say in the past the Wide Open WR would have dropped it, but the bottom line, the Chargers made it, and can't be laughed at, luck or not.

Comment

Working...
                          X