• Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

The Donald vs Nix.

Savage: Pittsburgh's Aaron Donald a top-50 draft pick

Chase Goodbread College Football 24/7 writer

745 SHARE

Reese's Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage sees Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald as a top-50 draft choice after the 6-1, 290-pounder dominated drill work at Senior Bowl practices. On Wednesday, Savage echoed the sentiments of NFL scouts who raved about Donald's performance in Mobile, naming him as the North squad's top defensive lineman.

According to Savage's daily review of the Senior Bowl's top performers, Donald won 12 of 15 matchups in 1-on-1 pass-rush drills.

"Frontside blocks can be problematic due to his overall girth, but when he attacks with his hands on the inside, he can separate and make tackles," Savage said. "On the backside of blocks, he simply is too athletic to be cut off and will track down ball carriers down the line of scrimmage. His pass-rush technique is outstanding, and he should be able to contribute on sub downs immediately as a rookie."

None of NFL Media's draft analysts have Donald being chosen in the first round (32 picks). If Savage's top-50 assessment is accurate, Donald figures to be chosen at or near the top half of the second round.

YouTube 2014 Reese's Senior Bowl: NORTH DL

Savage ranked Minnesota's Ra'Shede Hageman as the second-best defensive lineman on the North squad, projecting him as an NFL starter within two years. At 6-6, 318 pounds, Savage described Hageman as "scheme-friendly for all 32 clubs." Hageman came up on the short end of 1-on-1 pass rush drills, losing nine of 15.

"Very athletic," Savage said of Hageman. "When he does it the right way in terms of technique, he is really an unstoppable force."

Among scouts who spoke with College Football 24/7, Donald and Hageman were by far the most impressive defensive linemen on the North team, and perhaps two of the top three in the entire game, along with Auburn defensive end Dee Ford.

NFL draft watch: DT Aaron Donald

By Scott Brown | January 24, 2014 1:00:41 PM PST

PITTSBURGH -- Aaron Donald has continued at the Senior Bowl what he did during a storied a career at Pitt.

AP Photo/Johnny Vy The Steelers have the advantage of familiarity with Pitt's Aaron Donald but have to wonder whether he fits into their defensive scheme. The Penn Hills High School graduate has been the hardest player to block during practices, according to anyone within three zip codes of Mobile, Ala. No less an NFL draft authority than the NFL Network's Mike Mayock has compared Donald to Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins.

Whoa.

ESPN's NFL draft experts on the ground are similarly impressed with Donald. Here is one item from a story that Todd McShay, Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl collaborated on after watching the Senior Bowl practices: "Donald showed the ability to beat offensive linemen with quickness, power and active hands, and his ability to do it so many different ways make it that much harder to keep him off the quarterback."

Sounds like a player who will really help a team.

And the Steelers should know as much if not more about Donald than any other team by the time the NFL draft rolls around in May.

Pitt shares a practice facility with the Steelers, and general manager Kevin Colbert has said the team does more homework on local prospects because proximity provides that advantage -- and because the Steelers don't want to let a potential great player get away.

The problem with Donald: He clearly is a better fit in 4-3 defense as an attacking tackle rather than a hold-the-point-of-attack end in a 3-4 scheme.

The 6-foot, 288-pound Donald is probably too small to play nose tackle in a 3-4 defense and would likely be miscast in that role, too.

But he also seems like a classic case of player who transcends measurables and can play regardless of scheme. The Steelers, I'm guessing, would love to keep Donald in Pittsburgh but their top picks will be used on players who are better fits for them and fill a need.

And since it is unlikely that Donald lasts beyond the second round of the draft, he will probably continue his football career outside of Pittsburgh.
    Go Rivers!
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Notre Dame projected top-15 DT Louis Nix headed to NFL Dane Brugler NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

December 06, 2013 10:40 PM

Notre Dame junior nose tackle Louis Nix has hired an agent, thus foregoing his remaining college eligibility to enter the 2014 NFL Draft. He signed with 5 Star Athlete Management, according to Liz Mullen of the Sports Business Journal.

According to NFLDraftScout.com, the 6-2, 345-pound prospect is the top-rated defensive tackle for the 2014 NFL Draft and is projected to be a top-15 pick. He played in eight games in 2013, but his season officially ended after November surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.

In my most recent mock draft, Nix is projected to the New York Giants with the No. 14 overall pick.

Nix is an attractive NFL prospect due to his nimble athleticism for his size and girth. He has an excellent blend of quickness and power and spends a lot of time in the opposing offense’s backfield. Nix has the hand strength and initial get-off momentum to bully blockers on their heels, showing leverage and active limbs. He keeps his eyes on the ball and shows the awareness to anticipate and track plays.

Aside from the obvious injury concerns as he rehabs his knee surgery, Nix does need to improve in some areas. He needs to develop his counter moves after he’s initially stonewalled at the point of attack and hasn’t had many answers for the consistent double-teams he saw in South Bend. Nix is a high character kid, but he needs to control his emotions on the field and play consistently focused and level-headed for all four quarters.

Nix carries his weight so natural for a 340+ pounder, shifting his weight well with the agile footwork to quickly change directions. Add the hustle, competitive drive and love of football and Nix presents an enticing prospect for NFL evaluators and he will receive attention by teams drafting in the top-10. The knee injury does create some concern, but few prospects have his combination of fluid athleticism, natural power and sheer size.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

At 25, Nix would be BPA, Donald wouldn't.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Nice thread.

Comment

• SFW
          PB Official Game Thread Starter
          • Jul 2013
          • NY
          • USMC
          • Send PM

I would take Donald but happy with either.
          1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
          2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
          3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
          4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
          5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
          6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
          7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

There is a 55lb gap between these two players.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
              I would take Donald but happy with either.
              Where will you play him?

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

On the dline (just a guess...).

Comment

• SFW
                  PB Official Game Thread Starter
                  • Jul 2013
                  • NY
                  • USMC
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  Where will you play him?
                  I assume you are trying to say there is no room for improvement at DE or that there is no chance Liuget or Reyes get hurt? I don't ever see a problem with having 3 good DE's. Lack of quality depth has been an issue for our team. Besides, I think Donald will become a better pro, so I would rather have him. Not worried about where the current holes on the roster are. I look at the draft to find the best players you can get, free agency should be about filling specific positional needs.
                  1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                  2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                  3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                  4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                  5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                  6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                  7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
                    I assume you are trying to say there is no room for improvement at DE or that there is no chance Liuget or Reyes get hurt? I don't ever see a problem with having 3 good DE's. Lack of quality depth has been an issue for our team. Besides, I think Donald will become a better pro, so I would rather have him. Not worried about where the current holes on the roster are. I look at the draft to find the best players you can get, free agency should be about filling specific positional needs.
                    Sorry I think it's just stupid to spend first round picks at DE in a 3-4 when we already have a 1st and 2nd round pick at the positions. Not to mention that Lissemore is a very capable DE rotational guy already.

If we are spending picks on the D line it should be at OLB or NT.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Id move him around but year one id start Lissmore and if Donald can handle it nose on first down DE on third or in pass rush line with Reyes and Luigit playing 4/3 DT with Donald and Ingram/ Freeny at DE.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

But who is the best player is largely a matter of opinion. Is Donald the best player to a 34 team? Probably not. He doesn't have a position to play in the 34. The 34 is about the DL controlling gaps and letting the LB make the plays. You know what you call a 34D that you let the DL attack and make plays? A 43.

Comment

Working...
                        X