5 to watch.

Go Rivers!
  • Boltdog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Lunar Surface
    • Nutrition Consultant
    • Send PM

I would put in Ladarius Green as another one to watch. With the other new TEs signed, Green may not get a lot of play time except in preseason. Hopefully he has started to pick up the McCoy/Whisenhunt playbook and can execute whenever he gets a chance. Green has flown under the radar since last season, but he still has some impressive skills if he can put it all together. Combined with all the other receivers available to Rivers on any passing down, Green could be an overlooked target on many pass plays this season...
    Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Still think Fluker is the key.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        Still think Fluker is the key.
        O lineman are never appreciated.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

It will be interesting to see how Green does this season. Very few TE have the athletic skills to fill the role Gates has had. And as far as having someone to go to, you can't find a TE who runs better routes, which is what Green really needs to fix. He actually is much faster then Gates, and maybe somewhat more athletic when the ball is in the air. Green just needs to raise his blocking to the minimal level, which shouldn't be that hard, since we never really asked Gates to do much in that area.

To me, Rivers just needs to stop trying to hard for the big plays. The only time you have to try nd force them is late in the game when the clock is running out. The rest of the time, just keep gaining yards, control the ball, and the rest will probably take care of itself.

Woodhead adds a lot of quickness to our RB position. I think he can be the sort of underneath receiver we have missed since Sproles has been gone.

Brown and Alexander give us the help we need at WR, opposite Floyd. With Woodhead and Gates underneath, we can still make room to score points and make explosive plays. But only if defenses cannot focus on our big play guys.

Teo should be a huge improvement over Spikes. Better in pass coverage, better as a run stuffer.

Freeney doesn't really have to make the transition. We just need him to play like Barnes did a couple of years ago. Rush the passer on the 4 man line, which we play so much. English and JJ can hold down the base D, but we need someone to provide the outside rush. We also need English to provide a minimum of rush, but with the rest of the line, the focus is definitely on Freeney.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I'm not expecting Freeney to get lots of sacks, but if he gets lots of hurries, the Bolts should have much better success on 3rd downs.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

The key to our edge rush is that Freeney needs to get some hurries, and English needs to set the edge. That will keep the QB from getting comfortable and sliding around. I expect a lot of pressure inside from Reyes and Liuget, but that means nothing if the QB slides away. So, Freeney needs to get upfield and around the edge, so that QB's can't get away. And English could fall into some decent stats just by being in position. But if any of those parts fails to materialize, then it can be a long season.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Foley use to get a few sacks by olaying disiplined ball that way.
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The key to our edge rush is that Freeney needs to get some hurries, and English needs to set the edge. That will keep the QB from getting comfortable and sliding around. I expect a lot of pressure inside from Reyes and Liuget, but that means nothing if the QB slides away. So, Freeney needs to get upfield and around the edge, so that QB's can't get away. And English could fall into some decent stats just by being in position. But if any of those parts fails to materialize, then it can be a long season.
                  Pretty much exactly what I expect as well. As I've said before, I think we'll be just fine in the pass rush this season. Not earth shattering or top 5, but it will be effective.

Unlike last season though, I expect our secondary to be able to cover the short routes that we couldn't defend to save our life last season.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Having Freeney + English equals instantly effective pass rush. Beerman should change his name to Koolaidman.;p

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

He is not talking Merriman Effective, think Steve Foley when Jamal Williams was at his peek.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                        Having Freeney + English equals instantly effective pass rush. Beerman should change his name to Koolaidman.;p

Comment

Working...
                        X