• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Hardwick not retiring

MartyCaswell: Nick Hardwick says he has spoken w/Chargers & will absolutely play in 2014. "Philip's best yr is ahead of him & I want to be a part of it."
    ChargersRHenne: Great news! Nick Hardwick here in Indy says, despite "rumors" he's back for 2014.

Well we can put that to rest. Now let's see if he's brought back at that salary.

I do think it's an ideal situation to bring in a OG/C draft pick that can start this season at OG and learn under Hardwick.
    Last edited by Beerman; 02-22-2014, 12:26 PM.
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    MartyCaswell: Nick Hardwick says he has spoken w/Chargers & will absolutely play in 2014. "Philip's best yr is ahead of him & I want to be a part of it."
    ChargersRHenne: Great news! Nick Hardwick here in Indy says, despite "rumors" he's back for 2014.

Well we can put that to rest. Now let's see if he's brought back at that salary.

I do think it's an ideal situation to bring in a OG/C draft pick that can start this season at OG and learn under Hardwick.
    Agree with that last sentence; ideal time to do that, IMO. On the other hand, your next-to-the-last sentence could be a real sticking point. Just about everyone - to my knowledge - has been singing the praises of the 2013 Hardwick. Didn't McCoy/Telesco/some player(s) say he performed at a "Pro Bowl level" last year? If so, it wouldn't be hard to imagine Hardwick feeling as if he had EARNED his salary next year...and he might have a point.

This one could get ugly.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Of all our overpaid players, Hardwick is one of the few that earned it, so in that instance I don't really feel we can do better without going after a guy like Mack.

I do feel this is a good time to make a change at OG though. We need to find a long term solution at one of our OG positions (ideally both). Then next season we only have to replace a C vs the entire interior line. I do think continuity is a factor to improved/sustaining line play.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

If Hardwick earned his salary, is he really overpaid?

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Has he ever said anything about having hearing loss or ADD?
          I always see Rivers back there yelling and clapping his hands, usually followed shortly by a PO'd Rivers chucking the ball in the ground as the ref marches them back 5 yards.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            If Hardwick earned his salary, is he really overpaid?
            Oip sighting!

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

This is good news. And also, would be a good time to pick up his eventual replacement, since he was considering hanging them up.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                This is good news. And also, would be a good time to pick up his eventual replacement, since he was considering hanging them up.
                But...would you pay what he is due in 2014?? Or try to get him to negotiate that down to something more team-friendly? It's a tricky situation.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Pay the man.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                    Pay the man.
                    yep. He was solid all year...it's not like he didn't deserve it.
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Kyle
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Anyone catch his interview on 1090 with Darren Smith yesterday? He said the energy around the team is the same way it was right before they started going to the playoffs every year. He said it's their second ascention and thinks the next few years will be special which is why he wants to come back.

Also noteworthy that he said he never seriously considered retirement, but that people kept asking about it so he felt he needed to address it. He said he has a postseason process he's done for many years now, that he advises all the young guys to do. At the conclusion of each year, he reviews his play from the year before, and wants to make sure he has the energy and most importantly, the commitment to put in the necessary work to be able to play at a high level. He said he will retire the day he doesn't think he can compete at a high level. He won't "hang on" in that case.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

A lot of former players and coaches say that at the end of most seasons, they feel drained and a bit bit overwhelmed. Then there was the thing that Hardwick has thought seriously about retiring the last few years, I think that is where the interest comes from. But I didn't think he was really going to retire.

I do think he may be done come the end of this current contract.

Comment

Working...
                        X