Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clary's fun to listen to when he's mic'd up. Here's Clary & Reyes at the Chiefs game last season. If you look real hard, you can see me in the end zone section. LOL

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
      Clary is a good guard in Coach D's zone blocking scheme. He is tough and dependable and sticks his blocks. Furthermore, he is a mentor to the young guys, especially Fluker. He has earned his current paycheck. The team is under the cap, and to ask Clary to take a straight pay cut would be an insult to him and denigrating the contributions he's made to the team. I believe he should be extended for 2-3 years and, in so doing, lower his current cap number, but that is the only way he should be restructured, IMO. It is bad management to penalise Clary because AJ panicked and overpaid for him. If you want to set a bad precedent and risk possibly creating resentment amongst the players, give him a "pay cut or roster cut" ultimatum. But that, IMO, would be a bad idea. Rather than punish him, work with him to lower his numbers while keeping him in service to us for a couple of seasons more, and send a loud message to the team and potential FAs that the Chargers take care of players who play hard for them.
      That might mean something if Freeney, JJ, and Royal hadn't already taken straight paycuts.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Clary has been here longer than those three combined! Seniorety, class, and respect should enter the discussion.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think the coaches saw what they needed to see last season from Troutman. Enter Watt.
          Last edited by blueman; 05-20-2014, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
            That might mean something if Freeney, JJ, and Royal hadn't already taken straight paycuts.
            Really? What exactly have Freeney and Royal done for the team except make a lot of money while rehabbing an injury? You might -- might -- have a case with JJ, but not with Freeney and Royal.
            Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              I think the coaches saw what they needed to see last season from Troutman. Enter Watt.
              I don't think that's the case. He was pretty much a rookie last year. Everyone keeps judging him on his one bad quarter of football in the playoffs when he was asked to play a position he had never played at EVER.

I thought he was superb in run blocking during his starts in the regular season. He missed too many assignments in pass blocking though and a few too many penalties.

Solid backup OG IMO. Maybe a potential starter depending how his pass blocking develops.

Taking it a step further, that they are working Watt at RG vs LG is a potential vote of confidence they want to keep Troutman on the left side of the line.
              Last edited by Beerman; 05-20-2014, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Royal did have 8 TD catches last year, and several of those came in pretty handy.

Troutman had some issues in both run and pass blocking, but he can be extremely powerful leading plays. There where times he just blew his man back off the ball. Not all the time, there were times he allowed some penetration, and he always doesn't always do a good job of passing the DL to the guys around him, but that will happen in time.

Raw power, and moving a guy off the ball is not something that Clary and Reinhardt do well. They are more the kind of guy that lock up their guys and stay with them, not letting them get to the ball carrier, but using position and technique to create lanes. And when the OG and OT or OG and C work their double teams together, Reinhardt and Clary are better passing off the DL from one man to the other.
                Last edited by Steve; 05-20-2014, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Also played through injury virtually half the season since we had no one else.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                    Clary has been here longer than those three combined! Seniorety, class, and respect should enter the discussion.
                    Production had better enter into it.
                    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      I don't think that's the case. He was pretty much a rookie last year. Everyone keeps judging him on his one bad quarter of football in the playoffs when he was asked to play a position he had never played at EVER.

I thought he was superb in run blocking during his starts in the regular season. He missed too many assignments in pass blocking though and a few too many penalties.

Solid backup OG IMO. Maybe a potential starter depending how his pass blocking develops.

Taking it a step further, that they are working Watt at RG vs LG is a potential vote of confidence they want to keep Troutman on the left side of the line.
                      I agree. I expect the 2016 LG to be Troutman and Watt to start either at C or RG.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I dont think Troutman is kept, for reasons Steve describes: not good or bad, he just doesn't fit what we want our OGs to do. Like Valdez. Could be wrong, just how I expect it to shake out.

Comment

• Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          I dont think Troutman is kept, for reasons Steve describes: not good or bad, he just doesn't fit what we want our OGs to do. Like Valdez. Could be wrong, just how I expect it to shake out.
                          This guy?

No wonder our OLine sucked.

Comment

Working...
                          X