Clear All
  • SFW
    PB Official Game Thread Starter
    • Jul 2013
    • NY
    • USMC
    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
    Why would people in San Diego want the Olympics there?
    1) Crazy amount of money would go into updating/building infrastructure. Specifically all sports venues.
    2) Crazy amount of revenue would go to local businesses.
    3) All the construction and people would add jobs.
    4) The chance to actually see Olympic games/opening ceremony in person is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    Last edited by SFW; 04-05-2014, 11:10 AM.
    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
      1) Crazy amount of money would go into updating/building infrastructure. Specifically all sports venues.
      2) Crazy amount of revenue would go to local businesses.
      3) All the construction and people would add jobs.
      4) The chance to actually see Olympic games/opening ceremony is person is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
      Thanks.

I'll Google to see if there are any data analyses that explain who benefits and who suffers from the Olympics being in their city.

According to Wikipedia, the Olympics in the United States (Salt Lake City and Atlanta) each cost about $600 million in tax money.

My Google search didn't turn out well though. I couldn't find any clear numbers on how much money people made and who made the money.
      Last edited by thelightningwill; 04-05-2014, 10:13 AM.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

My impression is that every city that has hosted the Olympics recently has lost a shitload of money. Don't fucking want the Olympics anywhere near here.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
          Thanks.

I'll Google to see if there are any data analyses that explain who benefits and who suffers from the Olympics being in their city.

According to Wikipedia, the Olympics in the United States (Salt Lake City and Atlanta) each cost about $600 million in tax money.

My Google search didn't turn out well though. I couldn't find any clear numbers on how much money people made and who made the money.
          Here ya go will

(1) The bidding process is hijacked by private interests; (2) It creates massive over-building; (3) There's no evidence that it meaningfully increases tourism
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
            Those are definitely strong reasons to not host them, but we are in a different situation.

To begin with, we are already looking to build a new stadium. A new convention center has already been approved as well. The infrastructure for the trolley expansion has also already been approved and is going to be expanded which will solve the needed transportation issue.

We also have two universities that could use investments in building infrastructure. We aren't really in a situation that other cities have been in that tried to host the olympics with no real usage of the facilities they've built.

I suspect the only real building that would need to be built is a new sports arena. A track and field stadium could likely be built for UCSD or SDSU. We already have the required hotel space that would be needed in downtown.

If you go back a few decades you'll note one of the few cities that has made money off the olympics is LA. That's because they had a lot of the infrastructure already in place.

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              Those are definitely strong reasons to not host them, but we are in a different situation.

To begin with, we are already looking to build a new stadium. A new convention center has already been approved as well. The infrastructure for the trolley expansion has also already been approved and is going to be expanded which will solve the needed transportation issue.

We also have two universities that could use investments in building infrastructure. We aren't really in a situation that other cities have been in that tried to host the olympics with no real usage of the facilities they've built.

I suspect the only real building that would need to be built is a new sports arena. A track and field stadium could likely be built for UCSD or SDSU. We already have the required hotel space that would be needed in downtown.

If you go back a few decades you'll note one of the few cities that has made money off the olympics is LA. That's because they had a lot of the infrastructure already in place.
              And there is the Olympic Training Center....
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                And there is the Olympic Training Center....
                That too, it's a huge complex.

Comment

Working...
                X