• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

I like the signing. It really shows that the team recognizes that if rivers isn't playing we still need a quarterback that gives us a chance to win.

This is is a win now mode signing and I like that.

Comment

• BearWithJetpack
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Nothing says "win now" like signing a guy who was supposed to hold down the fort so a first round draft pick could develop, but had a sub 50% completion percentage and was benched after three games.

Comment

Originally posted by BearWithJetpack View Post
        Nothing says "win now" like signing a guy who was supposed to hold down the fort so a first round draft pick could develop, but had a sub 50% completion percentage and was benched after three games.
        I'd prefer that over "Geno Smith enters the game and immediately fumbles the ball on every possession".

Comment

• BearWithJetpack
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post

I'd prefer that over "Geno Smith enters the game and immediately fumbles the ball on every possession".
          I have approximately the same level of faith in Tyrod as I had in Geno - not much. Neither can throw but I guess at least T-Mobile can move a bit.

Either way I'd be very uncomfortable having either in the game.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            Pretty much retired......
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
            • Send PM

I view Lynn's having coached him and the fact that he had his career game with Lynn as his HC as a good sign. Lynn understands what makes him tick. Please free us of Geno AND CARDALE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SDFan View Post
              Didn't this guy lose his job to Peterman in Buf? Then on to the Browns only to be replaced by Mayfield? I get that Lynn likes guys he's familiar with, but nothing to get excited about here and there's likely better vet backups to be had.
              In 2017, the Saints were killing the Bills 40-3 so the team decided to take a look at Peterman during garbage time. Peterman looked okay so the Bills decided to start him against the Chargers in their next game and Peterman threw 5 first half INTs. Taylor replaced him in the second half and the Bills did better, but still got killed by the Chargers.

In 2018, Taylor lost his job to Mayfield when Taylor went down with a concussion. Mayfield was the #1 pick in the draft so he was going to play at some point.

Taylor is a borderline starting level QB. His career QB rating is 89.6 (compared to 72.7 for Geno Smith), so he represents a pretty big upgrade over Smith. Honestly, while not a great starter, as a backup QB, Taylor is probably one of the best in the NFL.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                I actually like Tyrod....safe backup, takes care of the rock...but is everyone too afraid to point out a pattern here? We try out RG III, had Geno and Cardale on the roster at one point, now Tyrod? Maybe drafting Tyree Jackson as the future isn't so far fetched ...
                Besides outside pocket mobility, they also all have connections to Lynn from his stints with the Jets and Bills. Well, except for RGIII but he was never on the roster.

Comment

• therber219
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2017
                  • Iowa
                  • Send PM

I may be going a little overboard, but I think this is the first time since Volek left, that I feel we would have at least a 50-50 chance of staying competitive if Rivers goes down.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

I believe there were a lot of us last year hoping for a Tyrod Taylor signing?
                    12 months later, here we are.
                    Solid sigining by TT.

Comment

• Budsman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BearWithJetpack View Post
                      Yeah, no one good has ever lost their job to the first overall pick... :mybrainhurts:

Comment

• SYB
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

I don't mind the signing at all, as he's better than what we had. However, I don't get the idea of all of our backups under AL being mobile guys who struggle in the pocket, when our starter is 100% a pocket passer. Hate the idea of having to change up the offense if Philip were to go down. That is my only issue with it.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

This is a clear upgrade. Geno looked awful in the few real in-season snaps he got, and I had no confidence that he could at least keep the Bolts in a game. Taylor has clear starting experience and is mobile. Taylor made the right decision to take a clear back-up role than be a "bridge" for the next draftee QB.

Comment

Working...
                          X