• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
    that is what was negatively referred to here as "continuity" during the AJ/Norv era even while the team hyped it- and that alone isn't enough. If those 22 starters aren't good enough, or the team rests on its laurels and takes chances with draft picks like AJ did because they believe the roster is "set" and only a couple positions at the bottom of the roster will change year-to-year, it can bite us in the ass again.
    I think it depends on the type of players. We are for the most part extremely young, so there is an expectation that players will improve. During the Norv era, a lot of those players had already reached their prime and we decided to keep adding vets to try to get us over the hump. AJ also tried to force drafts drafting for explicit needs - none as costly as picking Buster Davis because we needed a return man.

Our current group is made up of guys that haven't even reached their second contract. We have a few older vets, but that's it. We need the young guys to improve to get over the hump and the older guys to just maintain.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
      that is what was negatively referred to here as "continuity" during the AJ/Norv era even while the team hyped it- and that alone isn't enough. If those 22 starters aren't good enough, or the team rests on its laurels and takes chances with draft picks like AJ did because they believe the roster is "set" and only a couple positions at the bottom of the roster will change year-to-year, it can bite us in the ass again.
      No one is suggesting we are going to rest on our laurels. But by bringing back the old starters, you avoid some obvious setbacks. Like forcing a talented but raw rookie from being forced into the starting lineup. Or not getting someone to fill the spot at all in the draft, and end up with a worse vet then the one we were trying to replace in the 1st place. Those setback might not happen, but we just ensured they won't (within the usual limits). We are going to keep adding players we like, we just don't have to add them to fill needs, rather to fill wants. We have a lot of wants.

I could see us adding several new rookies who don't start, but could add a good deal to the teams success, and position themselves to become starters down the road (2015). Guys like Gilchrist, Woodhead, Green were not true starters last year, and while I expect that those types of players will continue to develop, I could see us getting more and more out of them. The same holds true for rookies.

People need to stop fixating on starters. There are 11 starters on both O and D, but both units regularly use 16-18 players, even if nobody is hurt. And that number is down from when Norv used to use his multiple sets. Those other spots are guys who are going to play on ST, and some will be expected to quickly develop into reasonable backups.

Comment

• KNSD
        Registered Charger Hater
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I think his assessment about the talent level is about right. Great job by the coaching staff and team to fight above their weight last year. +1 to the Chargers.
        Prediction:
        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

Working...
        X