• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I think Nix will get eaten up by NFL Olinemen. Or he'll need a few years coaching up to be at all a threat. 2 cents.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
      Now this is a funny situation. All along you have had some of the more negative things to say about NTs and I have been all but begging our team to get a NT. Then, you say, "I am not so firmly against Nix...." And what is funny is that I have now gone over Nix's clips again. I still love that he is very quick off of the snap (disproportionately the first DL player to move) and that he gets lots of penetration and has a good willingness to chase plays to other parts of the field. However, in studying the clips, I see that while he gets double teams, he does not beat them and he does not look as powerful or stout as would be ideal for a NT. I can't tell if that is a technique problem or if it is that he is just not that strong. I still like Nix, but how can I blame Telesco for choosing someone else at #25 if even I (the biggest get a NT person on this forum) am not 100% sure about Nix?
      Because you are dead wrong about how important a NT is. Back in the day, it was as important as you said. Now, not so much.

I have never disagreed that if we could get a guy like Ngata or Jamal, we should get them (although depend on who we have I might not play them at NT). But the only players with that type of potential are HUGE development projects. We don't need to spend a top pick to get any of them. NT is just a luxury item compared to OLB and CB, and maybe even DE.

I think Nix can be a starter. He is really not that far from being a OK NT. He needs to work on his stance and first step of his footwork. Blue is correct, that if Nix plays just like he did in his run down stance, NFL OL will kick him around like a soccer ball. But, he is going to adjust very, very fast (probably). All draft picks have flaws. What you need to remember is some guys have a lot less work then others. Nix is one of those who has a lot less work to do. Many rookies need to work on their first step, so I don't see this as a big issue. Nix does need to fix it, but I think he can, based mostly on the fact that he already uses a more traditional stance for obvious passing situations. His surge is OK on that, although somewhat inconsistent.

The other problem with Nix is that he just doesn't get much penetration. I mean, he can get into the backfield, but I don't see him being able to really close on the QB, and that is why I don't want him in the 1st. If he had Jamal or Ngata like quickness, and straightline speed, then Nix would be a top 5 pick (step flaw or not). But he doesn't and that makes all the difference. I don't think he is ever going to be even a solid pass rusher, which is OK if he is a run down NT. You live with it then. But do you want to spend a 1st pick on a guy like that?

Comment

• Yubaking
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Because you are dead wrong about how important a NT is. Back in the day, it was as important as you said. Now, not so much.

I have never disagreed that if we could get a guy like Ngata or Jamal, we should get them (although depend on who we have I might not play them at NT). But the only players with that type of potential are HUGE development projects. We don't need to spend a top pick to get any of them. NT is just a luxury item compared to OLB and CB, and maybe even DE.

I think Nix can be a starter. He is really not that far from being a OK NT. He needs to work on his stance and first step of his footwork. Blue is correct, that if Nix plays just like he did in his run down stance, NFL OL will kick him around like a soccer ball. But, he is going to adjust very, very fast (probably). All draft picks have flaws. What you need to remember is some guys have a lot less work then others. Nix is one of those who has a lot less work to do. Many rookies need to work on their first step, so I don't see this as a big issue. Nix does need to fix it, but I think he can, based mostly on the fact that he already uses a more traditional stance for obvious passing situations. His surge is OK on that, although somewhat inconsistent.

The other problem with Nix is that he just doesn't get much penetration. I mean, he can get into the backfield, but I don't see him being able to really close on the QB, and that is why I don't want him in the 1st. If he had Jamal or Ngata like quickness, and straightline speed, then Nix would be a top 5 pick (step flaw or not). But he doesn't and that makes all the difference. I don't think he is ever going to be even a solid pass rusher, which is OK if he is a run down NT. You live with it then. But do you want to spend a 1st pick on a guy like that?
        We disagree on the importance of NT.

But I think your better argument is that Nix may not be "that guy". However, I see it differently than you do. He is very quick off of the snap compared to other ND linemen. He was first more often than anyone else to react to the snap. He did get penetration, not sack the QB penetration, but screw up running plays kind of penetration. He did not do well against double teams and could be moved some, which made me think that maybe he is not as strong as I initially thought (plus 24 BP reps at his pro day didn't help with that impression either).

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

But do you want to spend a 1st pick on a guy like that?
          Nope.

CB, WR. OLB if a guy like Barr drops (which he won't, that's crazy talk).

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

The thing that bothers me about Nix is his run down stance. ND has him playing with his feet both about the same distance back, so there is no stagger. When he comes out of his stance, he doesn't step forward, so he is hitting the guy across without having his leg under him. He doesn't generate any power that way. He is better in his pass rush stance, but even then, I think he could take a better power step. I think it is just a muscle memory thing, since most of the time he plays with the run stance. But he would be a much better player (more powerful) if he could get his feet under him.

But you have to love how he uses his hands and how hard he tries and runs, even though he doesn't make many plays in pursuit. And he sounds like a good guy to have as a teammate. I keep finding myself hoping he falls to the 2nd round.
            I would have to think that better coaching can fix such an issue.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

If anything, in the long run, the lack of a 1st step in college may have made him a better player. The only way he survived was to striek a good blow and shed with his hands. Add that to a quick/powerful first step, he will be a solid run stuffer.

But it won't make him any faster, and his lack of penetration or burst to the ball is what keeps him from being an elite player..

Comment

Working...
              X