• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
    As I read, Rivers said he was doing it just to have fun and do something a little different in the off season. I'm sure it was back to normal the next day.
    I don't believe Rivers does anything in football for "fun." I do believe he's trying it out to see if it helps him with his vision. He must have had some sun/glare issues last year he's looking to remedy.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I don't believe Rivers does anything in football for "fun." I do believe he's trying it out to see if it helps him with his vision. He must have had some sun/glare issues last year he's looking to remedy.
      Unless that is related to some sort of medical condition he wont be able to wear a dark visor simply because of the sun. Manning used to wear a dark visor in practice. There may be some sort of benefit to practicing with the dark visor.

darthmanning.jpeg

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

His banter back and forth with players he says he does for fun, so........

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Pressured-vs-Clean.png

4. PHILIP RIVERS, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

Clean pocket: 90.4
            Under pressure: 70.3
            Difference (+/-): 20.1

Philip Rivers did an excellent job of hiding the Chargers' O-line flaws a season ago. Of his 674 dropbacks in 2018, 316 were stifled as a result of the Chargers' 31st ranked pass-block unit (61.9), but he still managed to earn a 70.3 grade and a 67.5% adjusted completion percentage on these plays.

Perhaps even more impressive was his performance from a clean pocket. Rivers tied for fourth with an 8.3 yard per attempt mark as a result of 42% of his throws venturing further than the sticks when working from a clean pocket.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
              Pressured-vs-Clean.png

4. PHILIP RIVERS, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

Clean pocket: 90.4
              Under pressure: 70.3
              Difference (+/-): 20.1

Philip Rivers did an excellent job of hiding the Chargers' O-line flaws a season ago. Of his 674 dropbacks in 2018, 316 were stifled as a result of the Chargers' 31st ranked pass-block unit (61.9), but he still managed to earn a 70.3 grade and a 67.5% adjusted completion percentage on these plays.

Perhaps even more impressive was his performance from a clean pocket. Rivers tied for fourth with an 8.3 yard per attempt mark as a result of 42% of his throws venturing further than the sticks when working from a clean pocket.

It's from all that film study on his long commute!
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Rivers is ranked#6 overall, Tier 1 QB. Not bad for a late hand clapper. Honestly, I don't know how Brees is a 3 while Rivers is a 6.
                    NFL coaches and executives place veteran starting QBs into one of five tiers and offer insights into their thinking.

Fifty-five NFL coaches and executives contributed to the survey this year by placing all veteran starting quarterbacks into one of five tiers and then offering insights into their thinking.

Tier 1 is reserved for the best, while Tier 5 is so poor that no starters received a majority of votes in that tier this year.

Once ballots were in, I averaged the results to create a ranking. The Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers commanded 53 Tier 1 votes and two Tier 2 votes, creating a 1.04 average that narrowly landed him atop the rankings despite a tumultuous 2018 season, generating a rich, lively discussion among voters. By proceeding past this introduction, you'll enjoy a front-row seat for some of the most candid discussions among those voters -- not just for Rodgers, but for all quarterbacks.

The rankings are not gospel. No single voter agrees with the final results exactly. There are quarterbacks I'd move higher or lower if filling out my own ballot. This is a composite look at what the league thinks of its quarterbacks and why.

I've defined each tier based on input collected over the years during hundreds of discussions with coaches and evaluators. Tier definitions are spelled out below, atop each section. Generally speaking, the better the tier, the less help the quarterback needs from his defense and running game to succeed. Every quarterback resides within the tier for which he received the most votes.

Only non-rookie starters were included, on the thinking that mixing rookies with veterans would create an apples-to-oranges dynamic.
                    Tier 1 votes: 33 | Tier 2 votes: 22

The Chargers know Rivers, as the owner of a 208-game starting streak, will be in the lineup every week. Opposing defenses know Rivers will be in the same spot -- right there in the pocket -- on just about every pass play.

What has changed over the past two seasons is that Rivers, backed by an improved defense, has reduced the interceptions that dogged him in 2014 and 2016. Throwing 508 passes last season, Rivers' lowest total since 2009, probably helped reduce chances for negative plays.

"Right when you have seen some age, it disappears," a head coach said.

The knock on Rivers is he can't create when plays break, but the way Rivers compensates makes him special, with one offensive coordinator calling Rivers' field vision unbelievable.

"We play him this season, so I've been watching him, and he is just a conductor," a defensive assistant said. "If you are a poor poker player and he has any sense of what you are in, he knows what to do, so it is all about disguise. You have to f-- with him presnap or he will pick you apart."

Some would like to see more from Rivers in the biggest games.

"Don't get me wrong, I hate playing against the f--r, but I have him right there with Roethlisberger, just an inch below the top guys," a defensive coordinator said. "(The Chargers) made the playoffs last year, but it's almost like they are stuck right there."

An evaluator used Rivers as a launching point to discuss the renaissance of the older Tier 1 QB, with so many 35-and-older starters producing at a high level. Improved conditioning and rule changes could be among the factors for the sustained success of Rivers, Brady, Brees and others. Rivers did seem to slow down late last season, but he was not alone.

"Of all the good QB play in 2018, my takeaway has been how, if I were starting a team right now, Rivers at 37 years old would be in the discussion if some of my other Tier 1 guys went before him," this evaluator said.

2017 to 2018 tier change for Rivers:

5. Philip Rivers, Los Angeles Chargers

Change: +0.40 (1.80 to 1.40)

Tier change: 2 to 1

Rivers typically bounces between the top two tiers based on how frequently he throws interceptions. A lower pick rate has helped Rivers reestablish residency in the lower half of the top tier. While the Chargers' strong defense has also played prominently in the team's success, respect for Rivers' ability to solve defenses, see the field and throw with anticipation gives him a foothold in Tier 1 as long as he protects the ball.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Rivers, protect the ball. Its that simple.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Posting the same thing in this thread as well:
                        Reading this makes me appreciate Rivers even more. But also makes me upset that the team over the years never did a good job of surrounding him with better coaching and OL talent (like the Saints did with Brees). Hopefully Lynn is the one and Lamp actually lives up to his potential.

So today, we look at which quarterbacks are best set up for success. Things to consider: offensive lines, receiving weapons, efficient running games and coaching.

To be clear, this is not a ranking of the quarterbacks. There are some great quarterbacks down the list. That just means they have to do more to lift their teams.

At the top are the quarterbacks who are best set up for success.
                        3. Drew Brees, Saints -- The combination of Sean Payton and Brees is a lock to produce an efficient passing offense every year. Last year, the Saints gave up a sack or QB hit on 13.7 percent of their pass plays, the second-lowest mark in the league. Going into 2019, they again boast one of the league's top offensive lines. Brees is surrounded by a pair of elite playmakers in Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas. Kamara ranked fifth last year with 1,592 yards from scrimmage. Thomas became the first player in NFL history to amass at least 1,400 yards receiving while catching at least 80 percent of his targets. With a healthier Ted Ginn and the addition of TE Jared Cook, Brees is in tremendous position to succeed.
                        16. Philip Rivers, Chargers -- The big concern is whether they can find answers on the offensive line before Week 1. Rivers was sacked or hit on 21.6 percent of his dropbacks last year, which ranked 19th. If that percentage goes up in 2019, the Chargers could be in trouble. Despite losing Tyrell Williams, Rivers still has a good group of pass-catchers to work with. Keenan Allen is their number one receiver, and Mike Williams made strides in his second season; 83.7 percent of his catches went for first downs -- tops in the NFL. Their running backs are effective receivers too, and tight end Hunter Henry returns from injury.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          Posting the same thing in this thread as well:
                          Reading this makes me appreciate Rivers even more. But also makes me upset that the team over the years never did a good job of surrounding him with better coaching and OL talent (like the Saints did with Brees). Hopefully Lynn is the one and Lamp actually lives up to his potential.
                          https://theathletic.com/1122889/2019...-them-1-to-32/

Saints have killed it at Oline.
                          --Ramczyk (No Brainer Pick.)
                          --Armstead (Small School Nugget.)
                          --Unger (Epic Trade.)

Now comes Erik McCoy.

:banghead:
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X