• Show
Clear All
  • Geezbolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Sun Valley, ID
    • Send PM

Top 5 Charger Safeties of all time

I was thinking about this one and unlike most positions, I had a hard time coming up with five names so I only listed three. Here's my list:

Rodney Harrison
    Eric Weddle
    Kenny Graham

Most of you will have to take my word on Graham because he played in the '60's but trust me, he was a beast. He played the position like Ronnie Lott did.
    Many of us keep saying we need a good strong safety and looking back, it appears to have been a weakness for a long time.
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

I sure can't come up with 5 names. Weddle and Harrison are easy, but after that I can't think of another. Certainly not the guys from our '94 team.
    sigpic

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Maybe Joe Beauchamp

Comment

• Geezbolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Sun Valley, ID
        • Send PM

Here's a short piece I found about Kenny Graham. LOL at his trash-talking the Chiefs.

Joe Namath's first trip to San Diego was not a successful one for Broadway Joe.  Namath went 18-34 for 179 yards, and three interceptions as the Chargers trounced the Jets by a score of 38-7.  One person that should be recognized in this video, however, is Kenny Graham, the Chargers defensive back that returned

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

Weddle
          Harrison
          Fuller
          Fox

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Gil Byrd bounced back and forth between S and CB, before finally settling on CB for most of his career. He was actually a pretty good S, and it was probably his better position. But he was no big hitter over the middle.

I'm not sure the #4 and #5 spots on a list of the best S has much, if any meaning for us. Sure, you can rank everyone to ever play S for us, and figure out who you think is the 4th/5th best, but really it is pretty subjective. The top 3 are pretty far and away the best, and then there is a really huge drop to the rest of them. Guys like Vincie Glenn, Martin Bayless, Stanley Richard, Darren Carrington, Floyd Fields, Shaun Gayle, Bo Orlando, Fuller, Fox ... might slip onto that list, and all of them had their moments, but none of them is really all that great. Don't get me wrong, any one of those guys might fit into our secondary today and challenge for a starting spot, but none of them is anything special

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I'd put Vencie Glenn up there. Even though it was only a few years he was good back there.
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
              X