The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Bosa

Chargers exercise Joey Bosa's 2020 option

Josh Alper
    4 hours ago

Thursday night will be a big one for Nick Bosa, but he's not the only member of the family getting some news about his future this week.

Field Yates of ESPN reports that the Chargers have exercised their option on Joey Bosa's contract for the 2020 season. The move ensures that the 2016 first-round pick will remain under team control for two more seasons and there will likely be talks about a longer stay in L.A.

Bosa was the third overall pick in 2016 and missed the first four games of his rookie year with a hamstring injury he suffered after signing his contract late in training camp. Bosa had 10.5 sacks as a rookie and 12.5 sacks in his second season before being limited to seven appearances last year by a foot injury.

Bosa remained productive once he was healthy enough to play and will look to continue making his case for a huge second contract while wearing a new number in 2019.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Expected obviously.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Was this ever not the only thing to do? No brainer.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Clark just got a massive deal i expect Bosa will be north of that. 5 years at 105M. 65M guaranteed.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          Clark just got a massive deal i expect Bosa will be north of that. 5 years at 105M. 65M guaranteed.
          @KC unfortunately. Does this affect the Bolts draft strategy? Bolts need more OL talent early imo.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

@KC unfortunately. Does this affect the Bolts draft strategy? Bolts need more OL talent early imo.
            I think they are set on BPA. And that could be many positions.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Clark aint much more than Ingram as a player. Over paid for him i think but good for him..... and bad for us.
              KC could of just paid Ford and spent 20 mil less and kept their picks. Lame by their GM unless Ford wanted out.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Clark aint much more than Ingram as a player. Over paid for him i think but good for him..... and bad for us.
                KC could of just paid Ford and spent 20 mil less and kept their picks. Lame by their GM unless Ford wanted out.
                Yeah it was a lot to invest in him. Seattle and KC were 2 of the least blitzing teams in the league last year. Who knows maybe his numbers would be even better on a team like the Panthers. Not that blitzing necessarily equals sacks.

I was huge on Clark coming out. Some had a4th round grade on him. I actually think Ingram is a good comparison.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Yeah it was a lot to invest in him. Seattle and KC were 2 of the least blitzing teams in the league last year. Who knows maybe his numbers would be even better on a team like the Panthers. Not that blitzing necessarily equals sacks.

I was huge on Clark coming out. Some had a4th round grade on him. I actually think Ingram is a good comparison.
                  I say bad for us because of when Bosa's contract comes up. Not playing against him. He and Ford had similar seasons so I can't say they upgraded but they sure spent more and traded picks away.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I say bad for us because of when Bosa's contract comes up. Not playing against him. He and Ford had similar seasons so I can't say they upgraded but they sure spent more and traded picks away.
                    I think on the surface you see that the Chiefs are moving to a hybrid 43 which may not have suited Ford in their minds. Im not certain. Think they ran a 34 last year. Whereas Clark is a pretty solid fit with what they are doing in KC now. But yeah the cost was great.

Now that the Seahawks have 2 1sts they may go FS ahead of us and use that 2nd pick on an edge.

Comment

• Classic
                      Hall Of Fame
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Send PM

Expected obviously.
                      Not as obvious as you'd think. Some on this site were pretty sour about how long he took coming back from injury or how he played afterwards and haven't forgotten his holdout his rookie season. We better have a plan for when Bosa gets paid. Can't have his contract plus Rivers and realistically believe we'll be in contention. We'll need to get a rookie QB to have our SB window continue after Bosa gets paid

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Not as obvious as you'd think. Some on this site were pretty sour about how long he took coming back from injury or how he played afterwards and haven't forgotten his holdout his rookie season. We better have a plan for when Bosa gets paid. Can't have his contract plus Rivers and realistically believe we'll be in contention. We'll need to get a rookie QB to have our SB window continue after Bosa gets paid
                        I never doubted we would pick up his 5th year. And Im not too worried about the 20M a year it will take to sign him either. If Rivers is part of the plan over the next couple years there is plenty of room to to get both under contract. Before rookies this year and next we are close to 80M under the cap. Cap will go up. We may roll over a few million. Guys like Perryman, Davis and Tyrod could be cut. Not a lot of dead money tied up in those guys Telseco constantly talks about building through the draft and paying his guys. I fully expect Bosa to be brought back. At least a major attempt. If he doesnt want to be here he doesnt want to be here. But i think he does.

I think we can sign Gordon, Rivers and Bosa if we want to. I expect Rivers to get a 2 year deal around 25M. If hes brought back.

Comment

Working...
                        X