• Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Telesco

This was cool!

Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 04-30-2014, 07:51 PM.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
    I don't have an account
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Everyone loves mock drafts.

But more importantly, how does the Chargers General Manager feel about them? He was asked that very question when he met with the media on Wednesday to deliver his pre draft press conference, and his answer was both interesting and informative.

“Some of these guys, this is all they do and they talk to a lot of people. I think a couple of guys really work at it really well. They watch tape and give opinions. This is all an opinion based business. As we get closer to the end I will look at them to try and see where people think people are going. If I talk to other people in the league no one is going to be honest with you, so I’ll always look at it. I think it’s good, constructive conversations on different guys. A lot of our conversations right now are determining who we think will be there. If we take this guy in the first round do we think we can get so-and-so in the second round? There are some mock drafts I think (that) are totally off base, but some of them are pretty accurate. So you pick and choose. There are a lot more now than there used to be certainly. But it’s good for thought. You only have a very short amount of time when you’re on the clock to make a decision, so our meetings the last couple weeks (has been) trying to determine if this situation happens, what are we going to do? Because we’re not going to decide that on draft day. We’ll decide that beforehand. So it’s good constructive information to go through so I use a couple here and there.”

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

There's also a video with Telesco talking about the draft. Goes on for 38 minutes.

Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 04-30-2014, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

He should look at our mocks

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

General Manager Tom Telesco held his annual pre-draft press conference on Wednesday, and like most he is impressed with the slate of prospects available when May 8 rolls around. Overall, he says the key with the Chargers holding the 25th draft selection is to remain flexible.

“When you pick 25 you have to be flexible,” he said. “You really can’t zero in on one guy or position. The farther back you pick you have to be ready to obviously pick, trade up or trade down. Last year when you pick at 11, you’re going to get a blue player. You may not know exactly who but you feel you’re going to get a blue difference maker. When you pick at 25, there may not be one there. You may want to get out. So you have to be flexible.”

Overall, Telesco gave his insight on the eve of the NFL Draft for nearly 40 minutes. Here are a handful of the highlights and notable topics from the general manager’s press conference:

*Telesco refers to top prospects as “blue” players. Right now the general manager and his staff are busy comparing players and weighing their options should multiple prospects they are targeting remain on the board when the Chargers are on the clock.
            “We talk about blue players as basic difference makers. If you’ve got a guy that can be a difference maker in one area, that may trump (everything else). That is a lot of the discussions we have right now. We’re comparing players in a similar value, but what do they do? Those are the discussions we’re going through.”

*While originally not a fan of the extra two weeks before this year’s draft, Telesco is using it to his advantage.

“Initially I wasn’t in favor of it. But they make the rules and we follow it. They gave us an extra two weeks and we’re going to use it to our advantage. It has allowed us to get a little extra information on some people and do some extra projects we couldn’t have done. You have to be careful that you don’t stare at the board for too long. There are some times you look up there and all you see are the negatives for each player. But if they’re going to give us two more weeks we’re going to use it, so we’ll use it in a couple of different areas.”

* For a long time the draft was known as a “deceitful” event with a ton of misdirection. Teams were desperate for anyway to hide their cards. Telesco says there is far less of it nowadays due to the way the draft is covered.
            “It just seems that now there is so much media attention that you don’t have to lie anymore. Who knows what is right or wrong. I’d rather not tell you something than lie. I don’t want to lie to anybody so I’d rather just not say something. But other than looking at some mock drafts, we don’t really pay too much attention to what people are saying because in the end it’s just going to screw with our minds. We’ll just go with what we see.”

*Following the Seattle Seahawks success, Telesco was asked about the “blueprint” the Super Bowl champions established with a big, physical secondary.
            “Everybody has been looking for years and years and years big corners that can cover. Nobody goes in with the philosophy ‘I want some really small cover corners.’ Everybody wants big and fast. Richard Sherman is a great corner. He’s big, he’s fast, he’s physical. He plays the ball. He’s what you want. There just aren’t many of him….We need guys that can cover people number one and tackle. If they come in a smaller size, they come in a smaller size. If they are average size, they’re average size. If you hold out looking for just Richard Sherman, you’ll be waiting a long time.”

*While there are many important pieces that go into the puzzle, Telesco says the most important factor when evaluating talent is how they perform on gamedays during the college season.
            “I can’t put a number on it, but it’s very high. How they play in the fall is the most important part of the whole puzzle. And after that before you even get to a pro day or combine workout it would be medical, character and psychological. And then you get into how they run around in shorts and t shirts.”

*Telesco explained the positive impact the team’s running game had in maintaining balance on offense last year. He also reiterated that Ryan Mathews remains the team’s lead back even with the addition of Donald Brown.

“We have a physical offensive line and a physical running back in Ryan and I think that helps. It keeps people off balance and it helps your passing game. We weren’t one dimensional last year even though we have a top tier quarterback….Ryan is our starting back. His role will essentially be the same. Ryan’s a smart guy and he knows why guys are here. He knows what his role is.”

*The Chargers GM agrees with the commonly held notion that the 2014 Draft is extremely deep. That holds true for the wide receiver position as well.
            “The whole draft in general (is deep). We felt it was a really strong senior class, and then a lot of juniors declared and a lot of good ones. So that made it even stronger. The receiver class is deep and there are all different styles of guys. There are the guys with clean height, weight, speed. There are some big receivers that maybe aren’t that fast but still really talented. And there are smaller guys that can really run and make plays. So there are a lot of different styles to choose from.”

*Telesco was asked what he saw in Keenan Allen a year ago that led to him being selected in the third round.

“Probably his route running. Not only his quickness to get in and out of breaks but his feel for it. Those were the two biggest things I thought would translate real well.”

* There is understandably a lot of buzz surrounding the quarterbacks this year, and Telesco believes it is a strong crop of passers.

“It’s pretty good. There are a lot of them. There are a number that can come into the league and start. I like them. I really do. Obviously it’s probably the one position everyone does the most work on outside this building. Everyone is always excited about quarterbacks. I hope about 10 of them go in the first round!"

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

General Manager Tom Telesco held his annual pre-draft press conference on Wednesday, and like most he is impressed with the slate of prospects available when May 8 rolls around. Overall, he says the key with the Chargers holding the 25th draft selection is to remain flexible.

“When you pick 25 you have to be flexible,” he said. “You really can’t zero in on one guy or position. The farther back you pick you have to be ready to obviously pick, trade up or trade down. Last year when you pick at 11, you’re going to get a blue player. You may not know exactly who but you feel you’re going to get a blue difference maker. When you pick at 25, there may not be one there. You may want to get out. So you have to be flexible.”

Overall, Telesco gave his insight on the eve of the NFL Draft for nearly 40 minutes. Here are a handful of the highlights and notable topics from the general manager’s press conference:

*Telesco refers to top prospects as “blue” players. Right now the general manager and his staff are busy comparing players and weighing their options should multiple prospects they are targeting remain on the board when the Chargers are on the clock.
              “We talk about blue players as basic difference makers. If you’ve got a guy that can be a difference maker in one area, that may trump (everything else). That is a lot of the discussions we have right now. We’re comparing players in a similar value, but what do they do? Those are the discussions we’re going through.”

*While originally not a fan of the extra two weeks before this year’s draft, Telesco is using it to his advantage.

“Initially I wasn’t in favor of it. But they make the rules and we follow it. They gave us an extra two weeks and we’re going to use it to our advantage. It has allowed us to get a little extra information on some people and do some extra projects we couldn’t have done. You have to be careful that you don’t stare at the board for too long. There are some times you look up there and all you see are the negatives for each player. But if they’re going to give us two more weeks we’re going to use it, so we’ll use it in a couple of different areas.”

* For a long time the draft was known as a “deceitful” event with a ton of misdirection. Teams were desperate for anyway to hide their cards. Telesco says there is far less of it nowadays due to the way the draft is covered.
              “It just seems that now there is so much media attention that you don’t have to lie anymore. Who knows what is right or wrong. I’d rather not tell you something than lie. I don’t want to lie to anybody so I’d rather just not say something. But other than looking at some mock drafts, we don’t really pay too much attention to what people are saying because in the end it’s just going to screw with our minds. We’ll just go with what we see.”

*Following the Seattle Seahawks success, Telesco was asked about the “blueprint” the Super Bowl champions established with a big, physical secondary.
              “Everybody has been looking for years and years and years big corners that can cover. Nobody goes in with the philosophy ‘I want some really small cover corners.’ Everybody wants big and fast. Richard Sherman is a great corner. He’s big, he’s fast, he’s physical. He plays the ball. He’s what you want. There just aren’t many of him….We need guys that can cover people number one and tackle. If they come in a smaller size, they come in a smaller size. If they are average size, they’re average size. If you hold out looking for just Richard Sherman, you’ll be waiting a long time.”

*While there are many important pieces that go into the puzzle, Telesco says the most important factor when evaluating talent is how they perform on gamedays during the college season.
              “I can’t put a number on it, but it’s very high. How they play in the fall is the most important part of the whole puzzle. And after that before you even get to a pro day or combine workout it would be medical, character and psychological. And then you get into how they run around in shorts and t shirts.”

*Telesco explained the positive impact the team’s running game had in maintaining balance on offense last year. He also reiterated that Ryan Mathews remains the team’s lead back even with the addition of Donald Brown.

“We have a physical offensive line and a physical running back in Ryan and I think that helps. It keeps people off balance and it helps your passing game. We weren’t one dimensional last year even though we have a top tier quarterback….Ryan is our starting back. His role will essentially be the same. Ryan’s a smart guy and he knows why guys are here. He knows what his role is.”

*The Chargers GM agrees with the commonly held notion that the 2014 Draft is extremely deep. That holds true for the wide receiver position as well.
              “The whole draft in general (is deep). We felt it was a really strong senior class, and then a lot of juniors declared and a lot of good ones. So that made it even stronger. The receiver class is deep and there are all different styles of guys. There are the guys with clean height, weight, speed. There are some big receivers that maybe aren’t that fast but still really talented. And there are smaller guys that can really run and make plays. So there are a lot of different styles to choose from.”

*Telesco was asked what he saw in Keenan Allen a year ago that led to him being selected in the third round.

“Probably his route running. Not only his quickness to get in and out of breaks but his feel for it. Those were the two biggest things I thought would translate real well.”

* There is understandably a lot of buzz surrounding the quarterbacks this year, and Telesco believes it is a strong crop of passers.

“It’s pretty good. There are a lot of them. There are a number that can come into the league and start. I like them. I really do. Obviously it’s probably the one position everyone does the most work on outside this building. Everyone is always excited about quarterbacks. I hope about 10 of them go in the first round!"
              I like it. I like all of it!
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

"Everyone is always excited about quarterbacks. I hope about 10 of them go in the first round!"
                No shit! Imagine all the quality players that would fall to us at 25 if this were to happen. Unfortunately, TT won't get his wish.
                Adipose

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

yep, Telesco and McCoy are the best hires Spanos ever made and were exactly what was needed to re-invigorate and even save the franchise. I'm pleased he was able to change his M.O. after all these years- and wondering if his sons got him to see the light on the modern NFL.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    Everyone loves mock drafts.

But more importantly, how does the Chargers General Manager feel about them? He was asked that very question when he met with the media on Wednesday to deliver his pre draft press conference, and his answer was both interesting and informative.

“Some of these guys, this is all they do and they talk to a lot of people. I think a couple of guys really work at it really well. They watch tape and give opinions. This is all an opinion based business. As we get closer to the end I will look at them to try and see where people think people are going. If I talk to other people in the league no one is going to be honest with you, so I’ll always look at it. I think it’s good, constructive conversations on different guys. A lot of our conversations right now are determining who we think will be there. If we take this guy in the first round do we think we can get so-and-so in the second round? There are some mock drafts I think (that) are totally off base, but some of them are pretty accurate. So you pick and choose. There are a lot more now than there used to be certainly. But it’s good for thought. You only have a very short amount of time when you’re on the clock to make a decision, so our meetings the last couple weeks (has been) trying to determine if this situation happens, what are we going to do? Because we’re not going to decide that on draft day. We’ll decide that beforehand. So it’s good constructive information to go through so I use a couple here and there.”
                    If you read more closely, it does point out that he thinks most of them are junk. He points out specifically, that there are some people who he trusts and follows their opinions, and in large part because those guys look at a lot of film.

It was also interesting to note that TT pointed out that he doesn't really like to factor in need until the end, and even then not too much. They try to evaluate players just based on how the players perform and fit the team.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      If you read more closely, it does point out that he thinks most of them are junk. He points out specifically, that there are some people who he trusts and follows their opinions, and in large part because those guys look at a lot of film.

It was also interesting to note that TT pointed out that he doesn't really like to factor in need until the end, and even then not too much. They try to evaluate players just based on how the players perform and fit the team.
                      He made that point a couple times during his talk. FLEET mentioned that as well (smart guy!).

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                        yep, Telesco and McCoy are the best hires Spanos ever made and were exactly what was needed to re-invigorate and even save the franchise. I'm pleased he was able to change his M.O. after all these years- and wondering if his sons got him to see the light on the modern NFL.
                        That's one thing I feel real good about. We really scored on those two. We are in good hands. Look who else they hired as well. That o-line coach worked miracles.

Comment

Working...
                        X