As Chargers GM What 1 Move Would You Make?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
    No guidelines??? I'd move the team back to San Diego after negotiating a new stadium that the city would pay 100% of. And the stadium would be at La Jolla shores so the cameramen can take pans of the amazing sunsets.

Queue Supertramp..........
    Take a look at my football team
    she's the only one I got
    not much of a football team
    never seems to win a lot
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
      Pretty much retired......
      • Sep 2018
      • JoJa
      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Take a look at my football team
      she's the only one I got
      not much of a football team
      never seems to win a lot
      I was going for.....Dreamer.....you know you are a dreamer.........

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

He said GM (they dont make those decisions if they don't own the team too), not Aladdin......
        But without guidelines I can do anything I want. Carpe Diem!!!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

1. The correct term is nunc coepi.
          2. The correct song is "Crime of the Century."
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            1. The correct term is nunc coepi.
            2. The correct song is "Crime of the Century."
            FWIW.....The song he was changing the lyrics to was "Breakfast in America"

"Take a look at my girlfriend....she's the only one i got. Not much of a gf, never seem to get alot."

Crime of the Century is another great song amd the Title of their best album and a very underrated all-time rock and roll album IMO
            Last edited by Panamamike; 05-25-2019, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

I was going for.....Dreamer.....you know you are a dreamer.........
              Breakfast in America is the name of the song and Album.

The line:

Take a look at my girlfriend....she's the only one I got
              Not much of a gf...never seem to get alot
              Last edited by Panamamike; 05-25-2019, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Breakfast in America is the name of the song and Album.

The line:

Take a look at my girlfriend....she's the only one I got
                Not much of a gf...never seem to get alot
                In a literal sense you are correct.

I know my Supertramp songs.

I was trying to say it would be "Crime of the Century."

Comment

• chris9341
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                  think Perryman is a very good linebacker...the problem is he needs to stay healthy...if so, and with the addition of Davis, I like our LB corp a lot. Not at all mediocre...but again, we have to stay healthy. I like to think Denzel has just been unlucky, but time will tell.
                  I like the addition of Davis, I think he's going to be a good mentor not only for the linebackers on this team but the entire defense but lets face it he's not going to be playing every down and Perryman well lets just pray that he stays healthy. The two players I wonder about but I believe they can be really good are kyzir White and Uchenna Nwosu.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

With our healthy LB group, how do you see .10 75% of the time?
                    .05 is a group that will be used far more often. Derwin and Nasir/Rayshawn combo provides coverage, CB skills, diversity from the safety position. Kyzir, Davis, & Tranquill all are former safeties with excellent coverage skills, with size at the LB position. Also reported Denzel is down about 20# to help him stay on the field on passing downs. I love the talent, size, speed, and info processing skills of our LB group.
                    Yes.

NFL is about matchups. LB, no matter how good they are, cannot keep up with the latest generations of pass catching TE, who run like WR, or RB who are like slot guys. Think back to last season. KC had Hunt, Hill, Kelcie, Watkins, and Conley. They are not together anymore but that is the type of speed every NFL team wants. How many LB are going to be on the field to match up against a team like that?

There is a reason every team in the NFL has been playing more and more DB for years. This is nothing new. The only teams that do not play their 425 nickel package as their base D is the few teams like us who play their dime package. And it is nothing new. This has been the norm for the last 30 years. Just most people don't pay attention to who is on the field.

The reason so many fans want LB on the field is they romanticize the position. But would we have targeted Davis as a FA and given him such a pitiful contract if we were building the defense around him? You don't go out and sign a 37 year old LB if he has to play 700-800 snaps.

We signed a ton of guys at LB because our backups were not even backup quality. Pullard has played reasonably well in stretches, but he plays best when he is on the field and gets lots of reps (practice too I suppose, but that is just a guess). The more he plays, the better he gets. Our only reasonable depth LB was Emmanuel, and that was position versatility as much as skill. Plus, they must have known he was leaning to retirement. Brown and White need to learn to stay healthy. And we need some guys who can play on ST.

I don't see the sudden influx of talent at LB changing taking 2 pro bowl caliber players off the field. Phillips has developed into a good S, and he made a lot of plays down the stretch and vs Baltimore. King is a legitimate pro bowl CB. You want them off the field in favor of LB? So that the LB can chase WR and TE who will outrun them?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Des King's thing is short area quickness + anticipation. Adrian Phillips diagnoses well and calls signals.

Respectively, NCB, NLB and together, ST are their best roles. They both need help over the top.

Jahleel no. Nas yes. To wit NE schemed and beat King deep for a TD. He had zero help. That will change.

GusD now has more tools in the toolbox. We will see new looks, additional.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Yes.

NFL is about matchups. LB, no matter how good they are, cannot keep up with the latest generations of pass catching TE, who run like WR, or RB who are like slot guys. Think back to last season. KC had Hunt, Hill, Kelcie, Watkins, and Conley. They are not together anymore but that is the type of speed every NFL team wants. How many LB are going to be on the field to match up against a team like that?

There is a reason every team in the NFL has been playing more and more DB for years. This is nothing new. The only teams that do not play their 425 nickel package as their base D is the few teams like us who play their dime package. And it is nothing new. This has been the norm for the last 30 years. Just most people don't pay attention to who is on the field.

The reason so many fans want LB on the field is they romanticize the position. But would we have targeted Davis as a FA and given him such a pitiful contract if we were building the defense around him? You don't go out and sign a 37 year old LB if he has to play 700-800 snaps.

We signed a ton of guys at LB because our backups were not even backup quality. Pullard has played reasonably well in stretches, but he plays best when he is on the field and gets lots of reps (practice too I suppose, but that is just a guess). The more he plays, the better he gets. Our only reasonable depth LB was Emmanuel, and that was position versatility as much as skill. Plus, they must have known he was leaning to retirement. Brown and White need to learn to stay healthy. And we need some guys who can play on ST.

I don't see the sudden influx of talent at LB changing taking 2 pro bowl caliber players off the field. Phillips has developed into a good S, and he made a lot of plays down the stretch and vs Baltimore. King is a legitimate pro bowl CB. You want them off the field in favor of LB? So that the LB can chase WR and TE who will outrun them?
                        Why would Dez not be on the field in our .05/.10? He was a 1st Team All-Pro as our .05. It would stand to reason he'd be on the field in those packages.
                        I like AP but his primary role should be ST where he made the All-Pro/PB teams.
                        Our LB crew have more than enough speed and athletic ability to cover TEs/RBs while being bigger/stronger physically.
                        Health is always a concern. The depth/talent is improved, with the new additions, which should help ST units.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Why would Dez not be on the field in our .05/.10? He was a 1st Team All-Pro as our .05. It would stand to reason he'd be on the field in those packages.
                          I like AP but his primary role should be ST where he made the All-Pro/PB teams.
                          Our LB crew have more than enough speed and athletic ability to cover TEs/RBs while being bigger/stronger physically.
                          Health is always a concern. The depth/talent is improved, with the new additions, which should help ST units.
                          He is on the field in the nickel and dime, but if you are playing LB, by definition, you are not in the nickel or dime package. The LB are the players that get replaced by the DB. It is one or the other, you can't have both on the field at the same time.

You are kidding yourself that our LB are going to cover as well as a DB. You are so wrong it is not even funny. Proof is that for the last 30 years, NFL teams play their nickel and dime defenses for 50% or more of the season. Over the last decade that number is more like 75% of the time. The better the team, generally the higher the percentage. LB are the part time players on NFL defenses and the nickel and dime DB are the real "starters", at least in terms of playing time and impact. This is no new trend, or some flight of fancy, it is the way things have been. The only teams that don't play mostly nickel and dime are teams that are so thin in the secondary that their nickel and dime packages are a joke (Jets last 2 seasons).

Our LB crew might have some speed, but they can't hold up against WR, pass catching TE and the Kareem Hunt, Todd Gurley, Alvin Kamarra or Laveon Bell type of RB. It's not the speed as much as change of direction.

We need one LB who can help in coverage, and that will be Parryman and Davis. The rest of the LB are role players, run down guys. And in that sense they are fine. BUt let's not try and romanticise what LB are. They are not every down players. And who really cares about every down players. Offenses play 3 WR most of the time. But our dime D matches up against base personnel for most NFL teams pretty good. King and Phillips are constantly slipping and avoiding blocks by TE and FB. Most TE and FB are terrible blockers. Look at the crew for NE, that they brought in to replace Gronk are only average blockers for NFL TE, which is to say terrible. That is offset only by their lack of ability as receivers. Watson is the only one who is any good, and he is like a 1000 years old.

Everyone is over reacting to last years NE games, but the fact is that adding new LB is just about depth. The backups were bad, but the guys we added are not going to be that great. The best addition is Egbule, partly because he can actually play all 3 spots, and partly because he is an OLB and can be used as a LEO in addition to OTTO. We needed better backups and we added some. We still have too many injury prone guys, but time will tell on that.

Comment

Working...
                          X