• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yubaking
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
    No doubt. But the debate was framed as "small guys are inherently inferior." Now in the bedroom, this is empirically so and there is a poster here who can tell you all about that, but on the basketball court or football field it's simply not. They have some disadvantages, perhaps. They also have advantages. I don't think you can play Paul on Durant all the time. But he can have his moments. Taller receivers can leverage a height advantage on certain routes and field positions. But smaller, quicker defenders also have advantages (even including height) on other routes and situations. Ever needed to get under the sink to fix a pipe? Believe me, kids do it way better than I do. I mean, hard to believe this is an ongoing debate. All things being equal, I want a 7'2" CB. But all things aren't equal, so that's a stupid thing to say.
    Okay, your comments are nuts with respect to basketball. I am 6'4" and it helped a lot on the basketball court versus smaller players. There is a reason why the average size for an NBA player is something like 6'7". Height is a very much desired trait.

Turning to Verrett, his height is not an advantage. It is a disadvantage as is his small frame. His speed, quickness and ball skills are advantages. None of those traits are mutually inconsistent with height.

Also, I never suggested that small guys are inherently inferior. That's a blatant misstatement of what I have said. I have said that all other things being equal, a taller CB is preferable to a shorter one and you have even said the same thing yourself. I also have pointed out that my discussion about Verrett is not just theoretical but is also based upon viewing game clips over multiple games. He was pretty consistent in terms of strengths and weaknesses displayed.

Comment

• Yubaking
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Burying the lede again.

But you're right. The whole height thing was already debunked by dozens of examples.
      Game clips show that Verrett's lack of size has been an issue for him at times.

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Oi, the dreaded Yuba triple post
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
          Okay, your comments are nuts with respect to basketball. I am 6'4" and it helped a lot on the basketball court versus smaller players. There is a reason why the average size for an NBA player is something like 6'7". Height is a very much desired trait.

Turning to Verrett, his height is not an advantage. It is a disadvantage as is his small frame. His speed, quickness and ball skills are advantages. None of those traits are mutually inconsistent with height.

Also, I never suggested that small guys are inherently inferior. That's a blatant misstatement of what I have said. I have said that all other things being equal, a taller CB is preferable to a shorter one and you have even said the same thing yourself. I also have pointed out that my discussion about Verrett is not just theoretical but is also based upon viewing game clips over multiple games. He was pretty consistent in terms of strengths and weaknesses displayed.
          Yuba,
          I know why your understanding of football is so limited now. You've got the wrong sport. It isn't basketball, so the line or reasoning doesn't work.

And everything you listed is a technique or a timing issue. His size doesn't have anything to do with any of those. You can find examples of lots of small CB who can do those things, so it is not inherent to a small CB at all. It is not a height thing, it is this particular player doesn't do that well thing.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I'm so tired or your schtick. Long winded opinions wrapped up in a meandering, thin veneer of pretend analysis.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Game clips show that Verrett's lack of size has been an issue for him at times.
              I'm pretty sure I have watched more of Verrett than you. Your analysis couldn't be trusted anyway.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Those pre-occupied with size generally don't have it.

Just sayin.

Time to use this Vienna Sausage logo:
                You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR again.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

No doubt. But the debate was framed as "small guys are inherently inferior." Now in the bedroom, this is empirically so and there is a poster here who can tell you all about that, but on the basketball court or football field it's simply not. They have some disadvantages, perhaps. They also have advantages. I don't think you can play Paul on Durant all the time. But he can have his moments. Taller receivers can leverage a height advantage on certain routes and field positions. But smaller, quicker defenders also have advantages (even including height) on other routes and situations. Ever needed to get under the sink to fix a pipe? Believe me, kids do it way better than I do. I mean, hard to believe this is an ongoing debate. All things being equal, I want a 7'2" CB. But all things aren't equal, so that's a stupid thing to say.
                  You can compensate by being a better tackler.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X