• Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Ted's Film Room: The top 10 most valuable, versatile players in the NFL

https://theathletic.com/1046105/2019...rs-in-the-nfl/
    Derwin James, safety, Chargers

How did Derwin James last until the 17th pick of the draft? Coming out of Florida State, he showed every trait you want in a modern safety. He was physical enough to take on blocks in the run game, he could blanket receivers in man-to-man coverage, and he looked like a defensive end rushing the passer on blitzes. The Chargers certainly aren't mad he slipped to them.

In his rookie year, Derwin James played 252 snaps along the defensive line (mostly edge), 482 in the box (split between strong safety and off-ball linebacker depths), 213 at slot cornerback, 27 at outside corner and 225 at free safety. He filled out the stat sheet as well. He had 105 tackles, four tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, six QB hits, three interceptions, and 13 passes defensed.

James gives the Chargers defense a ton of flexibility, and he's a constant mental nuisance for quarterbacks because they have to constantly look out for him and decide whether he's going to blitz, cover the tight end or drop back. He's not a freelancer like Troy Polamalu was, but the danger James poses because of his versatility is comparable.

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

If I recall correctly, DJ had healthy pass rush metrics last year. Do DC's slide protection towards him or do you double Bosa? Wait there's Ingram and Tillery.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
        If I recall correctly, DJ had healthy pass rush metrics last year. Do DC's slide protection towards him or do you double Bosa? Wait there's Ingram and Tillery.
        Let's MASH some QBs.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Because taking Best Player Available is a myth. Teams take BPA at a position of need.
          I think teams generally should in most cases. its a team game and teams are too often beaten through their weakest link. If you have two pro bowl DEs and quality backups but the BPA is a DE - do you draft a DE to either sit on bench or share time with your already-great starters? Or do you go down the BPA list to find a player that can actually make you a better team? setting aside the question if a rotation group keeps players fresh, does having an excess at one position while stlil having glaring holes at another really make the team better? now if one of your DEs is in a contract year expecting $18/yr or he's 32 yo and making his last run, thats a one year delay and a good team can afford that. But otherwise its a win-now league and a #1 pick better make your team better.

Nobody wins by having the best bench. Players are only locked up for 3-5 years, cap limits how much you can spend, and rosters are only 53 spots. You cant hide great players for years waiting for the current starter to move on. Teams have to maximize the 53 as best they can now and that is often not as simple as BPA.

Was Tillery BPA at 28? beats me, i'd guess probably not. Could he have the greatest positive impact on the team in 2019 of the available picks? we're hoping so.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Remember when the Bolts took Bernstine in the first when they already had the best TE group in the NFL, Not the best move and the fans weren't happy.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Don't most teams rank players in clusters and take the BPA from that cluster when it is time to pick? If they have multiple players in a cluster with a similar grade of course they will take the player that fills a need.

Comment

• jubei
                Vagabond Ninja
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Let's MASH some QBs.
                Do you mean "Let's SMASH some QBs"? I'm ALL for that! Especially mahomies and brady.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

Do you mean "Let's SMASH some QBs"? I'm ALL for that! Especially mahomies and brady.
                  Yeah....damn small phone keyboards...lol

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Remember when the Bolts took Bernstine in the first when they already had the best TE group in the NFL, Not the best move and the fans weren't happy.
                    Having been a draft nerd for a very long time, I remember it well.

Watching live, the Chargers took forever to make the pick, apparently wanted someone, probably OTs Harris Barton/Bruce Armstrong, who went just before our pick.

Bernstine became our 6'3" 235# RB lol.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

So the story is out, James takes the 2nd receiver from the end no matter who it is. As an OC, I'm now putting my #3 - #5 wr out there every play and having them run wind sprints to the corner.
                      Was it a secret? It's not like NFL didn't know that last year. They watch film, so they could see it all along. You can also tell because while James was still playing well, his impact/production went down later in the year. NFL teams knew. This article is only news worth to fans.

What will be different this year is that Bradley will start asking James to do more. James will probably be used as a Robber/Joker role to a large degree. Just move him around and put him on a specific person, mostly in the middle of the field. Then you can have him align there, switch up who he covers (as the game goes along) and maybe bait the QB into a mistake.

The other things to add to the "Best" whatever available:
                      1). What makes a "best" anything is completely subjective. For a DB, is it man to man cover skills, speed, tackling, hands.... For DT size, speed, quickness...... It varies some for everyone, and when you are comparing different positions to one another, it gets even more confusing, since which positon of need might be more important to a given franchise.

2). Some teams draft for production and some draft for future potential. So, not only is the "best" part hard to judge, you are not necessarily drafting the guy who has the best chance to succeed now, but the guy you "think" would have the biggest upside.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                          Now THAT'S how you wrap up a tackle! Also, notice how Derwin slows down to reposition his feet right at the end? Unlike some, ahem, players who launch and whiff?

Comment

Working...
                          X