• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Is It Time To Cut Jatavis Brown?

I'm getting pretty tired of watching Jatavis Brown whiff on tackles, or taking bad angles, or just not being in the right place at the right time. I previously posted a couple of pics from the Seahag game of Brown's miscues, like whiffing on a tackle here:

image.png
    I thought it might be useful to look back at previous games at his play, and sure enough, I found some issues. For example, vs. the Ravens in week 16, here he is at Mike, playing for the injured Perryman, pre-snap:

image.png
    Lamar Jackson runs it up the gut. Brown, instead of waiting to tackle Jackson, inexplicably moves up to the line, into the waiting arms of a Raven O-lineman:

image.png
    A second later, Jackson breaks through a hole and scampers past Brown, now totally blocked out. Jackson gets a first down and a lot more.

image.png
    Later on, Jackson hits Dixon on a little swing pass (sound familiar?). Derwin, in a rare miss, launches and misses Dixon, who is off-balance. Brown has a perfect angle on him to tackle him, but no. Somehow, Jatavis fails to wrap up, overshoots, hits the turf, and Dixon gets away for more yardage and a first down:

image.png
    Last edited by Topcat; 08-25-2019, 08:26 PM.
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Even when Brown does get penetration, watch what happens. Here, he has a perfect angle on Dixon:

image.png

Brown fails to wrap up and Dixon continues for a few more yards. He fumbled here, but still, this shows how Jatavis repeatedly fails to wrap up and finish the tackle.

image.png

And there are more examples. This is getting old.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Yes.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Since final cuts don't happen until the end of the week, the answer is defintely no.

Some of it depends on the other numbers and the other players at other positions. Brown is still a good ST guy and has made a lot of plays over the years. He is just somewhat inconsistent. See how he plays, then see how the rest of the roster falls. I still see him as one of the guys on the active roster.

If this is the "his time is running out" thread, then I think that hits it pretty well. He needs to get his ass in gear and put it altogether. He flashes playmaking ability vs the run and pass. He is never, ever going to be a run stuffer who takes on the straight ahead run knocks big RB around. It isn't his game. But he can do a bit of everything, which is what LB are. They don't do any one thing, they are jack of all trades types and he does a bit of everything, and is still very fast.

See how his season goes and then we can simply let him fade away if the numbers work against him. I still think he is a decent backup LB, at a minimum.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Since final cuts don't happen until the end of the week, the answer is defintely no.

Some of it depends on the other numbers and the other players at other positions. Brown is still a good ST guy and has made a lot of plays over the years. He is just somewhat inconsistent. See how he plays, then see how the rest of the roster falls. I still see him as one of the guys on the active roster.

If this is the "his time is running out" thread, then I think that hits it pretty well. He needs to get his ass in gear and put it altogether. He flashes playmaking ability vs the run and pass. He is never, ever going to be a run stuffer who takes on the straight ahead run knocks big RB around. It isn't his game. But he can do a bit of everything, which is what LB are. They don't do any one thing, they are jack of all trades types and he does a bit of everything, and is still very fast.

See how his season goes and then we can simply let him fade away if the numbers work against him. I still think he is a decent backup LB, at a minimum.
          I wasn't thinking of cutting Brown tomorrow; I was thinking of when the final 53 are chosen, it may be time to let him go. I was kind of ticked we released DeJuan Hines last year--the dude had a great preseason, but we instead keep someone like Brown. Sorry, if we're going to keep LB's on the final 53, I want someone who can actually tackle.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

So do I. But assuming that LB are better tacklers is a mistake. These days a lot of them aren't, especially in space. Looking at the roster below, there may not be a spot for Brown. The alternative is to cut Perryman and keep Brown. They can also cut him and then see if he is available later.

Brown was just much better suited to being a LB who can do a bit of everything. We don't blitz our LB, so that is a big chunk of his game we don't utilize. He can't pass rush, so he is kinda the odd man out. He does some stuff OK, but really none of our LB, or many other LB are impact players. LB are not impact players unless you play against run-based offenses that load up with TE and FB. Not many teams do that anymore, so LB are mostly ST guys these days.

This season we should probably only carry 6 LB. starter and backup on each spot, with Egbule being the "swing" LB who plays OTTO and ILB spots. But the NFL is a passing league, there is little point in focusing too much on LB when they play so little. They won't be on the field too much, so I don't think it makes much difference.

OTTO - Nwosu, Egbule
            ILB - Davis, White, Tranquill, Perryman (or Brown),

As far as the #1 LB on the roster, we haven't even seen Davis play yet.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Week 10: Bolts vs. Raiders. Brown again commits too early, gets tangled up with blockers, allows Martin to bust through for a first down:

image.png

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Bolts vs. Seahags, week 9. Wilson completes short pass to Davis in flats. Brown, perfect position to tackle:

image.png

And he whiffs:

image.png
                Attached Files

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

It's sad to see how bad he's played since showing out his rookie year.
                  I thought he was the steal of that draft class.
                  but the film is pretty damming
                  sorry brown, but there are enough LBs ahead of you at this point.
                  Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• PR#1
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

As long as he is healthy, he will start.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
                      As long as he is healthy, he will start.
                      Jatavis?
                      When has he ever been anything but an injury replacement fill in starter at best?
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Brown has not been healthy since his rookie season and even then he got hurt towards the end as I recall. I think that is his greater problem -- cannot stay healthy and misses so much time it shows in his game when he does play.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                        X