Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Losing Formula

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Losing Formula

    In 20-13 loss to Denver, Chargers ran 64 plays. 53 of those from shotgun.

    With injured receviers, O-Line better at run blocking, 2-3 good RB's, why is Rivers throwing the ball 48 times?

    Lets talk about inside the 10-yd line. Here is where running the ball is paramount and Whiz bad playcalling is magnified

    here is the all-22 and coaches film of these plays


    Is it Whiz calling 48 passes, or Lynn overriding his run calls, or Phil audible out of them? I do not know.

    I do know this: We have seen the losing formula, how about we see something different?

  • #2
    Biggest problem was Scott letting his man get by him and hurrying Rivers, though Tevi's man wasn't far behind. Notice that Lamp has good pass pro here:

    1.JPG

    Comment


    • #3
      Rivers throws to Ekkie, who gets tackled short, but Green was open and Rivers had time:

      3.JPG
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        We throw the ball that much because we fell behind and we cannot consistently gain yardage in the running game. Sure, we get the occasional nice run, but when we face lots of 3rd and longs and stuggle to protect Rivers, it is really hard to keep driving the ball. The only choice is to try and stay on the positive side of the down and distance (on schedule) and that means throwing it a lot.

        Comment


        • #5
          The one play that made me want to yell at the TV was he goal to go and they bring in Taylor for the gimmick play. With how the offense was struggling we did not have plays to waste like that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
            In 20-13 loss to Denver, Chargers ran 64 plays. 53 of those from shotgun.

            With injured receviers, O-Line better at run blocking, 2-3 good RB's, why is Rivers throwing the ball 48 times?

            Lets talk about inside the 10-yd line. Here is where running the ball is paramount and Whiz bad playcalling is magnified

            here is the all-22 and coaches film of these plays


            Is it Whiz calling 48 passes, or Lynn overriding his run calls, or Phil audible out of them? I do not know.

            I do know this: We have seen the losing formula, how about we see something different?
            Good points. I was saying this in another thread - lynn/whiz/whoever better get back to running the ball successfully or we are in deep trouble by mid season.

            Denver killed our run game early and the defense folded giving up 17 points fairly early in the game. This situation caused Chargers offensive unit to go into panic mode playing catch up. This is not a good look for Rivers and Co and usually a recipe for a loss if Rivers has to play hero ball.

            Get the run game going and play action pass will pay dividends. Receivers will get better separation when the opponents have to account for the run too. On defense, need to bring more pressure situationally and let some young play makers have more snaps (nwosu is one). Take some changes. Adjustments need to happen sooner so we don't dig such a large hole if offense is struggling.

            Clean up red zone play calling and execution and right the ship this Sunday against the steelers. Kill the wasted plays with Tyrod completely.
            ​​​​​.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

              On defense, need to bring more pressure situationally and let some young play makers have more snaps (nwosu is one). Take some changes. Adjustments need to happen sooner so we don't dig such a large hole if offense is struggling.


              Nwosu already does have the snaps he deserve. He had 93% in the week 5 game. The D-line has talent issues. Interior defense is the biggest weakness on the team other than O-line. The problem is the team doesn't have enough pass rush on the inside. Tillery alone isn't enough.

              The coaching staff fail to see this. They also fail to see how bad the third down defense is.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Steve View Post
                We throw the ball that much because we fell behind and we cannot consistently gain yardage in the running game. Sure, we get the occasional nice run, but when we face lots of 3rd and longs and stuggle to protect Rivers, it is really hard to keep driving the ball. The only choice is to try and stay on the positive side of the down and distance (on schedule) and that means throwing it a lot.
                Pretty much this...

                We don't have a servicable slot receiver, a true TE threat, or a reliable deep threat...plus our #2 was a little gimpy last game. Getting Henry back will help. Eke needs to be put in the slot more...might be our best option there...though maybe one of our UDFAs will step up. Finally, Gordon needs to get tuned up fast. Our best hope is to get healthy, and the young Oline starts to get more consistent...fingers crossed.

                Rally Time!!!

                Titans, Bears, Packers...these three games have become the pivot point. Win them all...and we go after the Raiders and Chiefs with our swag back, followed by a much needed bye week. It all begins...or ends...in these next 3 weeks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Early on I thought we forced it through Gordon too much whom looked rusty. We should've started with more Ekes and gradually eased Gordon some carries.

                  On defense we gave up too much big plays.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

                    Nwosu already does have the snaps he deserve. He had 93% in the week 5 game. The D-line has talent issues. Interior defense is the biggest weakness on the team other than O-line. The problem is the team doesn't have enough pass rush on the inside. Tillery alone isn't enough.

                    The coaching staff fail to see this. They also fail to see how bad the third down defense is.
                    The point was Nwosu needs more time on a weekly basis. The defense started off slowly against Denver, but he had a big impact in the game as he did in the Ravens game in the playoffs. Ingram has been MIA when on the field sadly so it's time for others to get a chance. Nwosu showed some promise during Ingram's absence (due to injury).

                    If you read my posts throughout the board, I have been saying the interior D is a big problem and has been for years. But at this point, the roster is what it is and we aren't bringing a big time player from the outside onboard to fill that void. So Bradley is gonna have to work with what he's got and get creative and try new things on the defensive front to creature more pressure and help out the secondary.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                      Early on I thought we forced it through Gordon too much whom looked rusty. We should've started with more Ekes and gradually eased Gordon some carries.

                      On defense we gave up too much big plays.
                      That was kind of my thinking as well. Hopefully with another full week Gordon will be back up to par. I would love to see a number of plays with them both in the backfield at the same time against the Steelers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Denver exploited are weak spots early and well, that first drive of theirs was a textbook for how to beat our D. Agree changes to personnel are needed, or at minimum getting creative with who we got. Bradley can do that ala single "surprise" plays, but our Baltimore playoff win should be a good reminder: if you try something and it works, keep doing it till they stop it somehow, cuz if it works why not? Who cares about what it looks like, just win baby.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X