• Show
Clear All
  • El_Tee
    I’m No Noob
    • Sep 2019
    • Disney World, FL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Tuerk was an injury bust. Lamp is looking that way, too. Feeney is a near-bust. Too early on Jones, but Nwosu is looking better. Go back further and grade TT for all his years:

2013:
    Fluker - bust - F
    Teo - semi bust C-
    Allen - A

Verrett - Injury bust - F
    Att-OUCH-u - Semi Bust - D
    Chris Watt - Injury bust - F

Gordon - Okay, but not quite up to expectations - B
    Perryman - Solid in run stuffing, not so good in pass pro; injured a lot - B-
    Mager - Bust - F

Bosa - A+
    HH - A+
    Tuerk - Injury bust - F

Mike Will - Solid when healthy - B
    Lamp - Potential injury bust - D
    Feeney - Has not impressed that much - C-

Derwin - Elite when healthy - freak accident kept him out this year - A+
    Nwosu - Starting to show talent, when Gus plays him correctly - B
    Jones - Shows some upside when healthy, jury still out - C+

Tillery - Hasn't shown much yet, but still early - C+
    Adderley - Solid player when healthy; potential injury bust - C+
    Pipkins - Looks like a reach; he's a project--not impressive so far, but still too early - C-

TT'S FINAL GRADE: Looks like about a C- or D+ to me...not all that impressive
    Thanks, I did a similar breakdown just discussing OL and all the busts. I mean, a top-3 rounder should be able to immediately contribute. I think it would if we always just kept going BPA regardless of position.

I get that people say Fluker’s not a bust... the fact that other teams can get him to be a better G than we probably have currently is a slap in the face to our coaching and player development.

And Telesco gave Franklin that big deal, but he did get us Okung and Pouncey. But to miss on all those picks and not looking at some more FAs is awful.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Maybe it’s the Chargers? Nobody could miss on so many picks
      Jam, for the life of me, I just can't figure out why the Bolts have had so many issues--injuries, busts, etc. Players like Fluker who leave the Chargers and actually turn out to be solid with teams like the Seahawks...Franklin was supposedly solid with the Donks, then he comes to the Bolts and is a semi-bust...you have to think the coaching is a big part of it...also the players surrounding them...

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Jam, for the life of me, I just can't figure out why the Bolts have had so many issues--injuries, busts, etc. Players like Fluker who leave the Chargers and actually turn out to be solid with teams like the Seahawks...Franklin was supposedly solid with the Donks, then he comes to the Bolts and is a semi-bust...you have to think the coaching is a big part of it...also the players surrounding them...
        I’ve been saying coaching for a while. Players around could definitely have an impact

Comment

• Caslon
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Queensbury should start at center. Him not screwing up last week warrants that. Ryan Groy is the other choice. The Chargers chose not to list either as a starter against the Bears.

In a season of musical chairs at the O-line position, throw us a bone here, coaches. Start Queensbury at center over Groy. See what happens. I'll settle for that.

Comment

• SDBORN
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
            Queensbury should start at center. Him not screwing up last week warrants that. Ryan Groy is the other choice. The Chargers chose not to list either as a starter against the Bears.

In a season of musical chairs at the O-line position, throw us a bone here, coaches. Start Queensbury at center over Groy. See what happens. I'll settle for that.
            The mantra under Lynn: If it's working, stop doing it, try something different. If it's not working, keep trying until we execute it properly. SMH
            Last edited by SDBORN; 10-26-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

The mantra under Lynn: If it's working, stop doing it, try something different. If it's not working, keep trying until we execute it properly. "BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO MESS WITH THE CHEMISTRY!!!. SMH
              There...fixed it for 'ya!!!

Comment

• Caslon
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

There...fixed it for 'ya!!!
                Chemistry, ah yes. The coaches been saying you don't want to mess or rush that when trying to build an O-line. Shut up already and start Queenbury.
                Last edited by Caslon; 10-26-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Agree...... in football, coaching is the number one factor...... Its obvious that Chargers have had some of the worst coaching out there....... look at bellycheat, reid, payton...... they are brilliant coaches whose systems make any QB look at least good....... ive said for years that Brees is good but not great..... brees needs a great system and playing indoors for most of his games and playing for a coach who will keep throwing thebasl with a big lead to run up even more stats to create the huge stats Brees has accumulated..... he could not have ever done that with the horrible conservative Chargers coaches....... or with most teams that play out doors......e=ven though Brees was out, they still continue to win without him because of great coaching.......

Reid has always s cores lots of points using his system, even with alex smith......peoplw over rate mahomes.... yes mahomes is a very talented athlete, but its the system that gets guys wide o[en for mahomes to throw up deep floaters to wide open receivers...... Reid used to average over 30 points per game with conservative Alex smith and even with backups and chase daniels..... peyton is winning with a very average QB ...... even the Pit coach is winning with a third string scrub....... this coaches all try and maxinimze the talents of their players.......chiefs will continue to win most games without mahomes......cause of the brilliant scheme..... that causes players to end up wide open with easy throws any QB can make......

vs the chargers coaches temd to minimize the talents of their players, waste most of the clock, and put 110% effort into scoring as little as possible, making sure we keep the opposition close enough so they can win if we make one mistake........ which we usually do.....

how to build a championship team:

1. Coaching
                  2. QB
                  3. OL... to protect QB
                  4. Pass rush
                  5. everything else.....

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

1. Coaching
                    2. QB
                    3. OL... to protect QB
                    4. Pass rush
                    5. everything else.....
                    Bucket list from a dying "team Charger" fanbase.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Agree...... in football, coaching is the number one factor...... Its obvious that Chargers have had some of the worst coaching out there....... look at bellycheat, reid, payton...... they are brilliant coaches whose systems make any QB look at least good....... ive said for years that Brees is good but not great..... brees needs a great system and playing indoors for most of his games and playing for a coach who will keep throwing thebasl with a big lead to run up even more stats to create the huge stats Brees has accumulated..... he could not have ever done that with the horrible conservative Chargers coaches....... or with most teams that play out doors......e=ven though Brees was out, they still continue to win without him because of great coaching.......

Reid has always s cores lots of points using his system, even with alex smith......peoplw over rate mahomes.... yes mahomes is a very talented athlete, but its the system that gets guys wide o[en for mahomes to throw up deep floaters to wide open receivers...... Reid used to average over 30 points per game with conservative Alex smith and even with backups and chase daniels..... peyton is winning with a very average QB ...... even the Pit coach is winning with a third string scrub....... this coaches all try and maxinimze the talents of their players.......chiefs will continue to win most games without mahomes......cause of the brilliant scheme..... that causes players to end up wide open with easy throws any QB can make......

vs the chargers coaches temd to minimize the talents of their players, waste most of the clock, and put 110% effort into scoring as little as possible, making sure we keep the opposition close enough so they can win if we make one mistake........ which we usually do.....

1. Coaching
                      2. QB
                      3. OL... to protect QB
                      4. Pass rush
                      5. everything else.....
                      Great points, Charge! Yes, Alex Smith is a great example...he was awful in SF, then he actually did very well in KC...

Comment

• Chargerville
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Coaching, Quarterback, Line of Scrimmage/Trenches.

I feel like the Chargers play an offensive style (primarily shotgun) that doesn’t quite keep defenses honest and off balanced, and they play a “bend but don’t break” style of defense, that I fully expect Top tier QBs to find a way around in a big game.

Tom Coughlin said in an interview that his philosophy is, control the line of scrimmage on offense with a good line and balanced attack... and attack (zone blitz style) on defense. Now if you put that formula (with a good coach) around a hall of fame caliber QB, you really have a shot to win. Rivers went 14-2 with that formula before they decided to change it.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Go Bolts! Game Day baby!

Comment

Working...
                          X