Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study TEN Week 7 (offense)

Happy Hump Day Diehards

Since i lost my good bad and ugly title i renamed this to film study. Will still showcase good bad ugly plays.

Play #1 The Good
    Rivers sees LB covering Ekeler. He knows no LB can cover Austin. Rivers does well keep the safety in center field with his eyes before releasing the perfect ball. Ekeler also puts on sweet double move and shows some wheels for TD.

Play #2 The Bad
    Rivers diagnoses the blitz and adjust the blocking to cover it. He still doesnt trust this O-Line, gets happy feet throwing off the back foot and the ball is behind Henry on 4th down. If Rivers steps into the pocket and gives Henry a leading ball its a big gain with only a safety between Henry and the endzone.

Play #3 The Ugly
    5 wide empty set. Why do we have Derek Watt in slot? Henry gets triple teamed, Watt + MWill might as well be holding hands outside the numbers and Ekeler downfield. Rivers doesnt see KA open.

• AZBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Looks like Tevi sucks on every play, just released the POS already.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Thanks for posting.

Rivers has historically been among the best to ever play the game in finding a clean pocket from which to throw. It is essentially a survival mechanism since he does not have much mobility.

On the "bad" play, he did not as you pointed out step up and throw from the clean part of the pocket (it is noteworthy that there actually was a clean part).

So so the question is:

Why did Rivers fail to do what he has successfully done for thousands of times already? Is he forgetting how to play? This is a mental error for the most part (unless his vision is getting bad, which I doubt). My guess is that this oline has conditioned him to assume that there won't be a clean part and that he had better throw off his back foot to avoid a sack and potential fumble. Lynn's hypersensitivity to turnovers may be fueling this mentality. (I will take the turnovers if it turns into more TDs. That's one thing Mike Martz got right. )

Rivers has to trust the oline to do their jobs and Lynn needs to chill out about the turnovers - or fix the running game and the oline.

Thoughts?

Comment

• foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

We dont need film study.. we just suck.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post
          Thanks for posting.

Rivers has historically been among the best to ever play the game in finding a clean pocket from which to throw. It is essentially a survival mechanism since he does not have much mobility.

On the "bad" play, he did not as you pointed out step up and throw from the clean part of the pocket (it is noteworthy that there actually was a clean part).

So so the question is:

Why did Rivers fail to do what he has successfully done for thousands of times already? Is he forgetting how to play? This is a mental error for the most part (unless his vision is getting bad, which I doubt). My guess is that this oline has conditioned him to assume that there won't be a clean part and that he had better throw off his back foot to avoid a sack and potential fumble. Lynn's hypersensitivity to turnovers may be fueling this mentality. (I will take the turnovers if it turns into more TDs. That's one thing Mike Martz got right. )

Rivers has to trust the oline to do their jobs and Lynn needs to chill out about the turnovers - or fix the running game and the oline.

Thoughts?
          ...sundial mechanism? I know, no fair. He's quick enough mentally must of the time but hits glitches when under steady, heavy pressure.
          Rivers needs both, QB pocket & an effective run game to be a consistent winner.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

I enjoy the film study. I suggest people look at each of these a second time - watching the OL.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

1. Feeney gets beaten. Rivers makes good throw anyway.
              2. Rivers forgets to step into throw. Thinks clean pocket in front of him is an illusion.
              3. Tevi loses his block.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

I must counter the "we suck" narrative. we are a solidly almost-average team, we're not close to the 2019 Dolphins level of suck. every loss could have flipped to win with a play or two here or there. last sunday we were 6" from the win and barfed the trophy at the 1. last year most flipped our way, this year not. We over-read the '18 results and over-rated the roster. meh - mybad.

we're not a SB team. if that is the only joy one can gain from watching LAC, best to adjust now and not writhe in torment for another 2.5 months. you might even consider not watching every game, depending on the level of pain. If you are more tolerant of non-champion results and really enjoy watching football and LAC is your favorite team, as I am, continue to watch. i'll still enjoy each game as i have one more reason to watch LAC games than any other televised game. i'll be ok.

i mean, i'm not gonna drive up to Carson and pay for this shit, but from the comfortable confines of my reclining club chair... DVR remote at the ready to skip through commercials ... yeah, i'll enjoy every game, i'll predict a win every week, and i'll be ok however it comes out.

BTW - SDSU Aztecs are 6-1 and seem to be starting to learn how to play offense in their new spread formation a bit. Defense is nasty quick and relentless. Rocky's squad is forming up to be better than last year's and ... knock on wood ... maybe one of his better in the last decade. tbd, they are actually improving week to week. half the games can be watched in Facebook streaming wherever you are ... just another option for the SD-contingent in TPB.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

From Eric Williams: Conspicuously absent from this weekly review by NFL Vice President of Officiating Al Riveron is Austin Ekeler’s overturned TD. League has yet to provide clear video evidence to Chargers Ekeler did not get in for go-ahead score vs. Titans. officiating.nflext.com/NFL/Officiatin…

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                    Happy Hump Day Diehards

Since i lost my good bad and ugly title i renamed this to film study. Will still showcase good bad ugly plays.

Play #1 The Good
                    Rivers sees LB covering Ekeler. He knows no LB can cover Austin. Rivers does well keep the safety in center field with his eyes before releasing the perfect ball. Ekeler also puts on sweet double move and shows some wheels for TD.

Play #2 The Bad
                    Rivers diagnoses the blitz and adjust the blocking to cover it. He still doesnt trust this O-Line, gets happy feet throwing off the back foot and the ball is behind Henry on 4th down. If Rivers steps into the pocket and gives Henry a leading ball its a big gain with only a safety between Henry and the endzone.

Play #3 The Ugly
                    5 wide empty set. Why do we have Derek Watt in slot? Henry gets triple teamed, Watt + MWill might as well be holding hands outside the numbers and Ekeler downfield. Rivers doesnt see KA open.

Here is where Tevi lets #38 get the inside move:

image.png

Later, after Rivers gets sacked, Tevi gestures to Scho as if to say, "Why didn't u help me?"

image.png

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Keenan runs a short route but everyone else is doing deeper routes and we're backed up in our own end of the field.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                        Outback Goon
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Australia
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        Keenan runs a short route but everyone else is doing deeper routes and we're backed up in our own end of the field.
                        ya this is my gripe. We all know Tevi is gonna get beat, Scho will slip and get 1 hand on the defender only etc etc

Why have Watt in slot and his route so close to MWill route? 3 deep routes from that field position is no good.
                        bad playcalling and bad execution = ugly play

Comment

Working...
                        X