Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study (defense)

Happy hump day diehards
    Felt great choosing plays this week, plenty of good / great, not much bad and ugly dont exist
    had some difficult choices, so honorable mention to Desmond King he played lights out.

Here is The Good, The Bad and The Great week 9

Play #1 The Good
    Jaylen Watkins diagnoses the swing pass and does a great job of shedding his block and making solid play. Perryman follows and brings the wood. Happy to see and want more!!!

Play #2 The Bad
    Took until the 4th Quarter for this old frustration to return. We have seen it before this season, looks like it might be leaving shortly (fingers crossed). Anyhow Watkins calls this play pre-snap, on the coaches film you can see him calling the defense over. He does a good job of mirroring the RB into the flat and then its the famous "MISSED TACKLES" again. Thomas Davis overpersues looking to deliver a big hit. Tranquill and Jenkins flying to the ball also overpersue and GB got a 1st down.

Play #3 The Great
    Bosa deserves all the monies. Ingram returning to form (glad we didnt trade him eh?) This is the pass rush we enjoyed last season. Well its back with a vengance now. These boys are hungry. Tillery shedding his block inside forcing the C to pick it up actually helps Ingram the most. Bosa focing Rodgers into Ingrams arms. If the Gordon TD (offense film study) was run blocking perfection, this was pass rushing perfection. No need for fancy blitzes. This is gorgeous and i cannot wait to see more.

Bonus film
    Drew Tranquill
    We have been on the other end of these too many times, i was thrilled to see it for my Chargers

yvutZaj.jpg
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Yep...great play, and textbook tackle by Watkins...notice how he went low to totally seal the deal? Imagine if Watkins had been in on that play Jatavis Brown had that bouncewhiff and allowed that TD a couple of games ago...

Comment

• Craig440
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Thanks I enjoyed that.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Tranquil has been a beast on ST this year and is coming along nicely as a LB. Great pick by TT.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

I really liked the play of jaylen watkins. on that play where he missed the RB he slowed down the RB WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH for a LB to come up and clean up. I have NO idea why t davis came up without wrapping his arms around the runner. You can still lay the wood while wrapping up. that play INFURIATED me...mostly cuz of t davis. but MAN I hope jaylen keeps playing like that and gets more playing time. he's gonna be our tweener safety/hybrid LBer when DJ comes back.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
            I really liked the play of jaylen watkins. on that play where he missed the RB he slowed down the RB WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH for a LB to come up and clean up. I have NO idea why t davis came up without wrapping his arms around the runner. You can still lay the wood while wrapping up. that play INFURIATED me...mostly cuz of t davis. but MAN I hope jaylen keeps playing like that and gets more playing time. he's gonna be our tweener safety/hybrid LBer when DJ comes back.
            Yep...Watkins in on dime packages...

Comment

• Caslon
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

Those that make the effort to post specific play vids for us to review here, that is appreciated. At least by me.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                Yep...great play, and textbook tackle by Watkins...notice how he went low to totally seal the deal?
                The good, yes.

The bad, no.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2018
                  • Send PM

Watkins is a stud. He should continue to start over Teamer who has no business being on an NFL roster.
                  Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                  - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                  - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                  - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                  - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                  - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                  - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                    Thomas Davis has been doing this the whole season. He started off the season against the Colts with like 4 missed tackles.

He’s the worst starting MLB the Chargers have had in a very long now time. An absolutely god awful football player who can’t do one thing properly.

This is a bit of an exaggeration but not much but I honestly think the Chargers regression from last season to this season can be mainly credited to Telesco’s dumbass signing of Thomas Davis more than the injuries the Chargers have had.

- 69-74 record
                    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Thomas Davis has been doing this the whole season. He started off the season against the Colts with like 4 missed tackles.

He’s the worst starting MLB the Chargers have had in a very long now time. An absolutely god awful football player who can’t do one thing properly.

This is a bit of an exaggeration but not much but I honestly think the Chargers regression from last season to this season can be mainly credited to Telesco’s dumbass signing of Thomas Davis more than the injuries the Chargers have had.
                      There's a reason why Old Man Davis is 36 years old and got cut by the Panthers...he's done...like a Thanksgiving turkey...

Comment

• UglyTruth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

There's a reason why Old Man Davis is 36 years old and got cut by the Panthers...he's done...like a Thanksgiving turkey...
                        I would’ve thought age would only impact his speed.

It’s pretty incredible how a guy that was supposedly known for his tackling ability has taken on such poor tackling techniques since joining the Chargers. It’s like he forgot to tackle in it’s entirety, not sure I’ve ever seen anything like it.

- 69-74 record

Comment

Working...
                        X