• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Defensive Struggles

What Lynn did to Ken, he has to do the same with Gus. Hold him accountable. Ever since the playoff loss to New England the team's weakness on defense were exposed. Is the saying you cannot have enough pass rushers a myth?

It's well known Bradley prefers not to blitz. The defenses coverage is not the best, but they can do a respectable job. Hayward and Michael Davis aren't that good, but are adequate. Jenkins and Watkins are hot and cold. Covering with linebackers is hard. Perhaps James and Phillips will provide the reinforcement needed in coverage when they return. I see why Gus doesn't blitz too much. The coverage on defense has their troubles. So he keeps his defense honest. The problem with it is the pass rush you need up front. You need all the guys up front, the d-line, to generate pass rush and get it done.

Games are won in the trenches. D-linemen expends more energy hitting or tackling than the offensive linemen do blocking defenders. D-line is the most physically demanding. You need a good rotation and the right players to get things done to keep up success at pass rush. This is what the coaching staff doesn't realize. They depend too much on the usual suspects.

The best pass rushers on the team are Bosa, Ingram, Nwosu, and occasionally Rochell. In fact, that's the best combination on the team's front four. After that who do you have? You need more than that. Especially what I just said above. D-linemen get fatigued and need to go to the bench to get a breather. Further, players get injured. What happens when the guys I mentioned get injured? Who do you have for the edge rushers after the 3 guys I mentioned?

Interior defense is a really big weakness of the team. Tillery isn't quite there, but he's making progress. Sylvester Williams has been good, he's helped the run defense. Justin Jones can be good at run stopping, but his pass rushing is limited. Then you have two veteran guys who are keeping the defense hindered. Mebane and Square. They are the elephant in the room. Don't get me wrong. Not every DT needs to be on Aaron Donald's level. It's a very hard thing to do. But at least having some sort of rusher on the inside would make things easier for the edge rushers and the players on coverage. The flaws at the positions on the D-line prevent the defense from doing so much more.

Because Lynn's insistence on continuity, it looks like he's being too loyal to certain people, whether they be players or coaches. Lynn has shown that he can take the initiative and make changes needed. He cut Lambo when he wanted a change at punter and fired Whisenhunt when looking for new life on offense. Lynn is going to have to show more of those things. If he wants to improve as a head coach and be taken more seriously. He needs to demonstrate stuff like sitting a player who isn't getting things done or providing what the team needs and replacing them with a more deserving player. Not wait until someone gets injured before finally putting in the more deserving player. This can be said for the offensive side of the ball too.

When James and whoever the second person is to come back from IR get activated to the 53 man roster, someone on the roster has to go. It could be a player that you'll be sorry to see go. That, or a player is on the inactive seven.
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

not sure firing Whiz was a good idea, and doubt firing Gus is any better, and.... our weakness isn't on D, it's on O.

and don't think our problem is our pass rushing contingent.... 'tis the IDL, our lack of push and our FO insistence on undersized NTs.

Hayward and Mike D. are plenty good enough, and ditto for Jenkins/Jaylen.

true that having LBs cover is a challenge, and true that James/Phillips will help bolster things.... (some solid late season victories will help momentum wise heading into next season/Hollywood Park).

again our (pass) coverage on D is not the problem.... our problem is that we are deficient in terms of interior push, and....

'tis (much) more 'bout the right players than any rotation, and.... pretty sure the coaches real eyes what's going on, my question is how 'bout team Tommy John ??

do they real eyes the value of a pocket collapsing, run stuffing, double team commanding NT/IDL ??

we have plenty @DE/LEO, and 'tis (very) true re: your commentary re: our Dline personnel issues.

and yes, Lynn is (sometimes overly) loyal to his peoples (vet leaders in the locker room), and yes.... letting go of Lambo didn't turn out so well, and again not sure/sold that dismissing Ken was the wisest move to date either.

and wait 'til injury ?? who is AL s'posed to play @slot receiver, TE w/HH out, Oline most anywhere, or power RB when down MG3 ??

it ain't easy, and.... he coulda, woulda, shoulda changed the playbook w/Ken here (he himself said it's a team effort in putting together the gameplan).

something is still off within the Stitch, PR, AL (holy) trinity.... this season has more intrigue than eye am accustomed to.... who we gonna call (on) ??
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Our defense was good against GB and the Raiders. I would look at what went wrong at the end of the half and last drive of the game.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
        Our defense was good against GB and the Raiders. I would look at what went wrong at the end of the half and last drive of the game.
        I second this. The defense was not in any way responsible for the first 10 points the Raiders scored. The defense held the Raiders' offense to 16 points. The D held Aaron Rodgers to 11 points. The defense is not the problem, it is playing well, and will get better when Derwin and AP return, along with Justin Jones and Perryman. I applaud our D.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The defense gave up the last touchdown against the Raiders because the safety was out of position. Watch the tape.

There's nothing wrong with Gus as defensive coordinator, the D will come back stronger under Derwin James. Remember, we've never seen Gus' full defense with a true high single safety. Nasir Adderley is sadly, on IR. We will see that defense on opening day 2020.

It's the offensive line and the QB I'm concerned with.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Our offense kept our defense off the field.....Raider's O was on the field for only 25 minutes. That's what gives you the impression they were good.

Every time the offense took the lead, the defense buckled like clockwork and gave it right up.

Epic fail!! You immediately cough up leads & can't come up big in crunch time, you didn't play well....that's mike McCoy talk

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Our offense kept our defense off the field.....Raider's O was on the field for only 25 minutes. That's what gives you the impression they were good.

Every time the offense took the lead, the defense buckled like clockwork and gave it right up.

Epic fail!! You immediately cough up leads & can't come up big in crunch time, you didn't play well....that's mike McCoy talk

The Raiders weren’t on the field much because the d got 3 and outs. Offense did nothing in the first and 3rd quarters. D kept them in it.

they did collapse at the end of the first half and the end of the game. I’d look at that.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                The defense gave up the last touchdown against the Raiders because the safety was out of position. Watch the tape.

There's nothing wrong with Gus as defensive coordinator, the D will come back stronger under Derwin James. Remember, we've never seen Gus' full defense with a true high single safety. Nasir Adderley is sadly, on IR. We will see that defense on opening day 2020.

Bradley is not responsible for his safeties being aligned correctly? Come on!

If Jacobs was stonewalled on that play, the Raider offense would have scored a few plays later. Only 3 + minutes left and the offense needing to score a td puts any D in a good position.

With a lead, hIs defense is incapable of stopping opposing teams offenses the final two minutes. What do you mean there is nothing wrong with it?

Against Indy, Oakland, & Chicago the Charger D was helpless.

Instead of saying all is well with his defensive approach, we should be dissecting what is wrong with it and why he needs to go.
                Last edited by powderblueboy; 11-10-2019, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

The Raiders weren’t on the field much because the d got 3 and outs. Offense did nothing in the first and 3rd quarters. D kept them in it.

they did collapse at the end of the first half and the end of the game. I’d look at that.
                  Charger offense rushed for 150 + yards against Oakland.....that (& the interception return) is what kept the Charger D off the field. How many 3 & outs? Two? After the Chargers took the lead in the 2nd quarter, the Raider Offense basically dominated the Charger D the rest of the way.

I'd take a good look at the routine D collapses...they pretty much follow the same pattern: no pass rush and the pass defense gives up a ton of space underneath (the famous picket fence).

Bradley's D has a critical dependence on 3 - 4 people bringing pressure each play... and a paranoia about taking away the big play. That's a lot of effort for 4 quarters. The opposing Oline knows Bradley won't send any safety or linebacker through the A-gaps...he hasn't done so all year; so they can pretty much ignore that & exclusively focus on Bosa/ingram before the snap.

That only makes it harder for those guys.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

That was one play in a long drive. Even if Jenkins makes the tackle, they were still inside our 20 and driving. We were on our heels and I am not convinced we would have stopped them, as Gus had us in our soft “hope they make a mistake” defense.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                      Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Palm Springs
                      • I know nothing
                      • Send PM

I favor aggressive, send the house defense in that position. Either back um up or let the score quickly and leave a lot of time for the offense to score the winning field goal.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

That was one play in a long drive. Even if Jenkins makes the tackle, they were still inside our 20 and driving. We were on our heels and I am not convinced we would have stopped them, as Gus had us in our soft “hope they make a mistake” defense.
                        Pass defense

We all know Erik Harris gets a game ball. He had two interceptions and another negated by penalty that had no impact on the play. Karl Joseph had a pick to seal it, and another lost to a flag. This wasn’t all about the secondary, however.

The Raiders pass rush was ferocious behind rookies Clelin Ferrell and Maxx Crosby and veteran situational pass rusher Benson Mayowa. The Raiders sacked Philip Rivers five times, hit him five more times and forced him into game-changing mistakes. The pass defense normally gets poor marks. Not so on Thursday night. That group was awesome in both rush and coverage.

Case in point: The Chargers threw the ball eight times with a minute left, needing just a field goal to win it. They completed zero passes and gained zero yards. The Raiders certainly hope Joseph and Lamarcus Joyner recover quickly from injuries suffered in this game.

Grade: A-plus

OAKLAND – The Raiders won their second tense close contest in five days, showing great poise under pressure while surging into the thick of the playoff chase with a 26-24 win over the Chargers on Thursday night. The Raiders are typically reliant on a steady ground game to control games, but their beleaguered defense came through in a big way with…

Raiders defense played their best game of the year, a week after the Chargers defense played the best game of it's season against the Packers. To hang the loss on Bradley is short-sighted and ignoring
                        the (surprisingly) dominant play of the Raiders pass defense. KC Chiefs lost too and our coaching staff has a long week to game-plan against them.

Comment

Working...
                        X