Thanks NMC

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
      Philip Rivers 16yr veteran making rookie mistakes
      Yep...just embarrassing...seriously, could it really be much worse with Stick in there? But no, we doggedly continue on with a total choke artist at the helm...

Comment

• pacstud
        Black Belt Poster
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

Really tough to extrapolate "open" on some of those. Rivers missed, no doubt, but roll the film in real time so we can see protection etc...otherwise it's guesswork.

On more than one his selection was ok, just missed the throw or the timing.

No problem critiquing the man...but circling "open" every play with a still is a bit meh imo.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post
          Really tough to extrapolate "open" on some of those. Rivers missed, no doubt, but roll the film in real time so we can see protection etc...otherwise it's guesswork.

No problem critiquing the man...but circling "open" every play with a still is a bit meh imo.
          I cannot agree more. Rivers did miss some guys and his timing seemed to be off most of the night but you cannot show still frames and say this guy is open with a safety 10 yards away not knowing where the safety is moving or if the safety is waiting to jump the route which happened way too often that game. I am not excusing Rivers and his mistakes but its easy for people who have never played QB to look at a still frame and make a lot of judgments. When the pass rush has been killing you all game and you have had safeties jumping your routes you tend to see a lot less of the field and miss open guys. I know people will say he is a professional and he should make the plays, there is some truth to that but there is a reason the defense rushes the passer not just for sacks but to pressure the QB into throwing the ball early and poorly. It seems that a lot of this is missed by people who just want an easy out and a single scapegoat RIVERS BAD!

It was a total team loss, there is literally no aspect of this team that does not own this loss, Coaches, Defense, Offense, Special Teams all own it as they all had their share of brain farts in this game.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Excellent post by Fouts Fan.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Pac, even you should admit that at least on #2 and #5, the receiver was WIDE open...right?

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

TopCat
                I really only think #2 and #5 were the easy pitch and catches that he has to find.

The rest ....meh. Watching them in real time, there are some spots he could have found, but only those 2 wide open pitch and catches really bother me.
                Rivers needs to find those 2 in situational football. IMO.
                He needed to find it also vs Lions. Had the similar easy pitch and catch but threw a pick to end game.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• pacstud
                  Black Belt Poster
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Pac, even you should admit that at least on #2 and #5, the receiver was WIDE open...right?
                  I posted that it looked like Rivers missed some guys. No argument there. But it would be better if we rolled film. My season is sadly over, maybe this weekend I'll get bored and look at a few plays

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

I posted that it looked like Rivers missed some guys. No argument there. But it would be better if we rolled film. My season is sadly over, maybe this weekend I'll get bored and look at a few plays
                    With very few exceptions (a couple that Top Cat pointed out that were obvious) you have to roll film. Ina game like football with so many moving parts, and all those moving parts on defense are designed to trick and disguise what is really going on you have to see it moving. It is frustrating to me as I am not the kind of person to say "I played QB and I know" (I am not accusing you of this) but I did play many years of running back and then QB. I do not pretend to know the terminology that the Chargers use or the sophistication of the plays but I can look at a play and say, the ball should have gone here or this should have been the first option. I can also empathize with QB's when it is a jail break on the offensive line, the clock in your head speeds up as the game goes on and it does not slow down much on the plays when you get better protection. People will say "This guy was open, why did the QB not see them?" Well where did the read progression start? Did the QB have enough time to make it to the other side of the field to that read? But if you have not been in these situations it is really tough to point these things out. I understand that Rivers is paid the big bucks to make these plays but sometimes it does not work out. Sometimes the first option is shut down and the clock in your head is ticking really fast, you look at the second option, its covered and then you might chuck it long hoping for a play to be made by your WR or a PI call, but chucking it long like Rivers did I know he was probably thinking at least it is not in traffic where it is going to get jumped by a safety.

I am not aiming these comments at you Pacstud but just venting based on your correct reasoning of rolling film. I am also not making excuses for Rivers just saying I understand a lot of what was driving his poor play against the Raiders that night. Oh and he did just look off as well to put a rancid cherry on the spoiled sundae.

Comment

• pacstud
                      Black Belt Poster
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

With very few exceptions (a couple that Top Cat pointed out that were obvious) you have to roll film. Ina game like football with so many moving parts, and all those moving parts on defense are designed to trick and disguise what is really going on you have to see it moving. It is frustrating to me as I am not the kind of person to say "I played QB and I know" (I am not accusing you of this) but I did play many years of running back and then QB. I do not pretend to know the terminology that the Chargers use or the sophistication of the plays but I can look at a play and say, the ball should have gone here or this should have been the first option. I can also empathize with QB's when it is a jail break on the offensive line, the clock in your head speeds up as the game goes on and it does not slow down much on the plays when you get better protection. People will say "This guy was open, why did the QB not see them?" Well where did the read progression start? Did the QB have enough time to make it to the other side of the field to that read? But if you have not been in these situations it is really tough to point these things out. I understand that Rivers is paid the big bucks to make these plays but sometimes it does not work out. Sometimes the first option is shut down and the clock in your head is ticking really fast, you look at the second option, its covered and then you might chuck it long hoping for a play to be made by your WR or a PI call, but chucking it long like Rivers did I know he was probably thinking at least it is not in traffic where it is going to get jumped by a safety.

I am not aiming these comments at you Pacstud but just venting based on your correct reasoning of rolling film. I am also not making excuses for Rivers just saying I understand a lot of what was driving his poor play against the Raiders that night. Oh and he did just look off as well to put a rancid cherry on the spoiled sundae.
                      Sounds like you have a pretty solid grasp imo...

Comment

• OhioBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

What happen to the quick slants we use to do with Keenan Allen those plays work, shit they even worked when we had Tyrell Williams. We need to utilize the backs in flare and quick slants to Allen or even quick out to Hunter Henry, we are trying to go long to often with a O-line that doesn't give us that kind of protection.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                          Outback Goon
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Australia
                          • Send PM

never played the game so forgive my ignorance:

Is progression read short to long? If so then Henry should have been 1st read, which would negate the pass rush and swiss cheese O-line.

Comment

Working...
                          X