Clear All
  • SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

Red Zone Dysfunction

As you can see we are among the leagues worst. I think we all knew this. Here's my potential solution\experiment. Put in Tyrod. Let him extend plays with his legs. :cartman::thinking:
  • Charge!
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Something that has been driving me crazy for a very long time is how horrible the Chargers play calling is inside the red zone. It is amazing how many drives the
    Chargers have that somehow almost always end up with a 1st and goal from the 10, 9, or 8 3rd line...... and our coaches seem to call plays asif it was 1st and goal at the 1, 2, or 3 yard line......

once we have 1st and goal at the 8, 9, or 10, our coaches seem to be clueless that we are already in nearly can't miss FG range.......and call plays that just get us a few yards closer......
    instead of throwing the fracking football into the fracking end zone where the football belongs!???...... on some of the pass plays we have zero
    receivers even running inside of the end zone???? and all of them running short routes outside of end zone with a defensive picket fence along goal line to keep our receivers from scoring once they catch a short pass......????

Simple math says that in that situation if we run on 1st down we will get lets say 4 yards, which is a solid running gain..... 2nd down defense is looking for the run so we only get one or 2 yards which still leaves us with 3rd and goal from about 3, 4, or 5 yards away.......

In those situations it would be much smarter to have 3 receivers running routes along back of end zone to either be wide open or draw most defenders deep into end zone and then have 2 receivers running short routes near or just inside of goal line...... giving Rivers 5 real options on 3 downs(opportunities)..... and if we run the routes properly, defenders may get confused or run into one another leaving someone wide open ..... instead Chargers run for no gain a time or 2 and then throw some short pass that gets easily tackled way short of end zone......

most other teams do this in red zone..... which is why most good offenses are nearly unstoppable once in the red zone....... but Chargers are opposite..... move the ball easily between the 20's and then act clueless once inside the 10ish area......

Someone in another thread pointed out the simple fact that if the Chargers just scored 4 more points per game, meaning one TD instead of settling for one FG, we would have won almost every one of our last 64 games.......despite all other flaws we would have been almost unbeatable,....and would have won division every year... and playoff games....

That is our offenses biggest problem......why do we have worst redzone offense in football???.... bad coaching ...... we absolutely look clueless and like we are trying hard as we can to NOT score in redzone......we should be snapping ball from center so Rivers can play action and quickly toss ball to a wide open TE or RB....... which at worst defense have one player covering at the most..... sometimes wide open cause of confused defense..... that is what we need to be doing......

Comment

• Midwestbolt
      • Feb 2019
      • Midwest
      • Local 150 operating engineer.
      • Send PM

Put in Watt. Go forward. Use play action. Stop throwing the ball to the other team.

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I dont know if rivers can sell a PA. i've never been fooled by his PA. i watched tonight's game and those young guys had WAY BETTER PA than rivers. and the more steps you make rivers move the less time he has to survey the field. i hate the shotgun draw play but rivers has to stay in shotgun cuz of his terrible mobility. if he's under center it's pretty clear that it'll be a run.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
          I dont know if rivers can sell a PA. i've never been fooled by his PA. i watched tonight's game and those young guys had WAY BETTER PA than rivers. and the more steps you make rivers move the less time he has to survey the field. i hate the shotgun draw play but rivers has to stay in shotgun cuz of his terrible mobility. if he's under center it's pretty clear that it'll be a run.
          that has some truth to it Rivers fakes are not very good.... and his movement not smooth....but Fouts was immobile and i can remember many times where he took snap and immediately stood up and threw a quick short pass to Winslow or houlahan..... never even needing to step back..... and i know Fouts had a HOF OL........so teams actually believed we could power the ball in....

nothing is worse than those shotgun draw plays that go for nothing in redzone.... McCoy's favorite play......

i still think it is inexcusable not to make 3 legit attempts to actually score a TD...... running routes outside of end zone does not help you get into endzone..... ive seen some plays were we dont even have any receivers running in the end zone or back of end zone......really bad play design.....

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

that has some truth to it Rivers fakes are not very good.... and his movement not smooth....but Fouts was immobile and i can remember many times where he took snap and immediately stood up and threw a quick short pass to Winslow or houlahan..... never even needing to step back..... and i know Fouts had a HOF OL........so teams actually believed we could power the ball in....

nothing is worse than those shotgun draw plays that go for nothing in redzone.... McCoy's favorite play......

i still think it is inexcusable not to make 3 legit attempts to actually score a TD...... running routes outside of end zone does not help you get into endzone..... ive seen some plays were we dont even have any receivers running in the end zone or back of end zone......really bad play design.....
            in fairness we scored more TDs on those quick WR screen passes at the LOS than anything we've done this year.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Merged. To the thread that was created earliest. Both were red zone related

Comment

• AK47
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Red Zone Dysfunction? Dude we need to pass out some Nugenix or something. Besides, she'll love it too.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post
                  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...ne-scoring-pct

As you can see we are among the leagues worst. I think we all knew this. Here's my potential solution\experiment. Put in Tyrod. Let him extend plays with his legs. :cartman::thinking:
                  Agree. And let's hope Lackadaisical Lynn doesn't just insert Tyrod in for one play as window dressing. No, keep him in starting at first and goal, and all the way until he scrambles in for the score...

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Why don't we ever run this?

Comment

• Caslon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Running back pass! LT was pretty good at it.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Why don't we ever run this?
                        Wow, that was unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                        X