Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study

Happy Bye Week Diehards

at least we are spared from heartbreak today.

This weeks Film Study centers on our 16yr Vet QB Phillip Rivers who is making some head scratching decisions usually reserved for a 1st yr rookie.

Play #1
    Dropped INT.
    Yes Mathieu dropped what was and easy pick. Yes Rivers got hit as he was throwing. My gripe is Rivers making his decision where to throw pre-snap and not taking what the defense gives him. Rivers never looks at Gordon in flat who would have been 1on1 with LB. Rivers also missed Watt free for easy 5yr gain after his chip block.

Play #2
    Bomb INT
    Rivers slides well in the pocket to his right. Henry is open for 10yd gain. Ekeler is WIDE open right infront of Rivers. Phil decides to throw the bomb, but the play has developed too long and although the ball flies 50yds in air it is underthrown and the result is INT. I doubt any QB in the league hits Patton in stride near 35yd line on that throw. Bad decision compounded by late throw.

Play #3
    The heartbreaker. Game ending INT.
    Everybody is covered. So Rivers should have thrown it away. 2nd down 24secs on clock. Live to fight another day. But we know Phil, he is gonna give his all every play. I get that. I get the gunslinger mentality. If thats the way it is, then Henry was the best choice. HH had a small seam and the LB had his back turned. Rivers could have put a high ball in the back on the endzone where HH catches it or nobody does. Instead he throws jump ball to Ekeler which was.....you guessed it.....underthrown.

It seems like Philip Rivers does not trust his team. He doesnt trust his O-line to hold for 3secs. He doesnt trust his TE or RB to make a guy miss. I can sympathize with an aging QB losing arm strength, but their decision making should be top notch. Rivers is showing the opposite and its costing us wins. Easy wins. Yes i count us fans as part of the team. We cheer and support them. They are our team. Without us, they have no paycheck.
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

If he threw that heartbreaker to the back corner, maybe Eke has a chance to get under it, or else incomplete and try again. It was a horrible pass.

Won’t show up in stats or replays as it was insignificant but i keep replaying in my mind a pass where, with modest to little pressure, he threw a pass right into the the side of the helmet of an otherwise blocked DT. The dude was 3 feet from him and was there before he threw it, as he threw it, and after it bounced off his unaware head. That encapsulated Phil’s precision this year. Just not there.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      If he threw that heartbreaker to the back corner, maybe Eke has a chance to get under it, or else incomplete and try again. It was a horrible pass.

Won’t show up in stats or replays as it was insignificant but i keep replaying in my mind a pass where, with modest to little pressure, he threw a pass right into the the side of the helmet of an otherwise blocked DT. The dude was 3 feet from him and was there before he threw it, as he threw it, and after it bounced off his unaware head. That encapsulated Phil’s precision this year. Just not there.
      yes. Phile also had 1 pass hit the dirt well short of Patton coming back to him, and then the ball slip out of his hands tryin to throw quick pass to Gordon. Phil playing like a rookie.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

If I’m Lynn I have him in a short leash in Denver, legend or no. It’s the HC’s job to win games, not spare feelings.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

the thing with bombs are you need an arm or you let it go well before when he decided to throw the bomb to patton. He doesnt have the arm to heave it deep especially when it is a late heave when the wr is WELL BEYOND his arm strength. hence that is why tb would always have to slow down on bombs from rivers. but as topcat says he likes to "sling it deep into coverage for picks"...bad record!

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Same old story...TWO open men short, instead, Rivers heaves the rock long for a near pick....this is getting old...PLEASE, Lynn, will 'ya put in Tyrod and Stick already...???

image.png

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Everyone has a slump year...

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                Phil has had SEVERAL slump years...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                  kind of a shame his last year is a slump year. ahh well, at least he got $200M or more the past near 2 decades. Alot of guys here on this forum don't get that bank and they suck at their jobs too
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Silversurfer
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Los Angeles
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    Same old story...TWO open men short, instead, Rivers heaves the rock long for a near pick....this is getting old...PLEASE, Lynn, will 'ya put in Tyrod and Stick already...???

image.png
                    This is just sad.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                      It seems like Philip Rivers does not trust his team. He doesnt trust his O-line to hold for 3secs. He doesnt trust his TE or RB to make a guy miss. I can sympathize with an aging QB losing arm strength, but their decision making should be top notch. Rivers is showing the opposite and its costing us wins. Easy wins. Yes i count us fans as part of the team. We cheer and support them. They are our team. Without us, they have no paycheck.
                      This is it exactly. He has had so many easy passes dropped, way more than any recent year, easy TD's, easy 1st downs. He does not trust anyone on the O and he has mentally checked out I think. Sad to see.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Take it from someone who seen this story before and it ends bitterly being in Ohio I follow the Cleveland Browns also, but back in the day Bernie Kosar was loved by the fan base and kind of erry the similarities of Rivers and Kosar both have no mobility, both could read defenses, both had ackward throwing motions, both got in the playoffs and would lose heartbreaking for Kosar the drive by Elway for us the bone head McCree INT fumble.

The last round Belicheck was Cleveland coach and he benched Kosar refering to deminishing skill and then cut him the fan base was up in arms, I am not sure what is going to happen with Rivers story still to be told.

Comment

Working...
                        X