Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Ceiling/Floor

NFL.com

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

Ceiling: 11-5. San Diego certainly has the makings of a playoff team, starting with the head coach (Mike McCoy) and continuing on down to the quarterback (Philip Rivers) and a defense that can at least keep the Bolts competitive. That said, the Chargers certainly face a daunting schedule. In this scenario, San Diego splits with Denver, sweeps the rest of the AFC West and wins two of four against their opponents from the notorious NFC West. Ryan Mathews tops 1,000 rushing yards and Danny Woodhead catches a whole heap of balls.

Floor: 6-10. It would be quite difficult for a club this talented to win just six games -- unless Rivers regresses to his 2012 self. While we don't think that will happen, trouble will follow if veteran tight end Antonio Gates hits the wall, youngster Ladarius Green fails to step up, the other receivers contribute little and second-year pro Keenan Allen is forced to do it all by himself. Linebacker Manti Te'o can't make tackles 5 yards down the field.
    Hashtag thepowderblues
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Time to raise the roof!!!!!!!
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think we can win more games than that, also lose more. It all hangs on our shit Oline and no depth.

Comment

• Faded blues
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        I think we can win more games than that, also lose more. It all hangs on our shit Oline and no depth.
        Wtf logo:

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

I think that range is fair. If we are on the low end, I don't think it is because of Rivers and the receivers though. It will be the play of the lines.

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            As long as Philip Rivers is the starting QB, this team will not finish worse than 7-9.
            Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              I think that range is fair. If we are on the low end, I don't think it is because of Rivers and the receivers though. It will be the play of the lines.
              Yeah, really. Of all the things to zero in on; the wideouts? WTF? Sure, if they all get hit by a truck, we're in trouble. But WR seems to be in the bottom half of the things we have to worry about in '14. To me, this is the order:

1) Injuries: Pretty much every team's #1 concern, every year, IMO. But we can afford injuries less than most teams (see #4)
              2) Schedule: Brutal. Two extra losses (Seattle, San Fran), almost certainly, as opposed to playing...say...the NFC East.
              3) DL: As in, we have none.
              4) Depth: Only a couple of positions are set (RB, DBs...maybe)
              5) Pass rush: Where is it?

Throw in Manti Zer'o (my version of Beer's Marshall). Here's hoping the guy stays in a boot.

Comment

Unlike QPicklesmoocher, I am more optimistic. So I will be

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                  Yeah, really. Of all the things to zero in on; the wideouts? WTF? Sure, if they all get hit by a truck, we're in trouble. But WR seems to be in the bottom half of the things we have to worry about in '14. To me, this is the order:

1) Injuries: Pretty much every team's #1 concern, every year, IMO. But we can afford injuries less than most teams (see #4)
                  2) Schedule: Brutal. Two extra losses (Seattle, San Fran), almost certainly, as opposed to playing...say...the NFC East.

Throw in Manti Zer'o (my version of Beer's Marshall). Here's hoping the guy stays in a boot.
                  You see, Q, posts like this are what happens when you chime in with opinions on things you haven't watched.

(1) Everyone is susceptible to injuries. We are no more or less susceptible than anyone else unless we get hammered at one position.

(2) Not as brutal as it appeared when the schedule first came out. In light of the Rams' QB situation and the Cardinals' injuries on defense, the NFC West has become a 2-team race, and, although it counts for nothing being preseason, we schooled the 9ers as badly as the Squawks schooled us. We get the Squawks at home, which helps, and unless the 9ers offense turns things around they're beatable. The rest of the schedule is not that tough, frankly.

(3) Our starters are solid, and Liuget in particular can be a beast. Our depth is questionable.

(4) Our deepest position is TE. We're deep at TE, RB, CB, S, WR, ILB, and interior OL. If Harris plays as he did last season pre-injury and Clary returns from injury, our depth at OT is not great but ok. Our depth at OLB is adequate as in there's talent there, but the talent is undeveloped. Really, DL is the only position this season where the depth is absent.

(5) Ingram, Liuget, Reyes, Freeney, Attaochu, and the occasional blitzing DB give us a much improved pass rush. This won't necessarily show up in the box score, but if you actually watched the games...
                  Adipose

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Injuries no doubt, I think between us and the Cheatroits are teams that have dealt with injuries and still played competitive, I am hoping we can make it through without any more serious injuries

Schedule it is what it is I am not sure San Fran is going to be the San Fran of past, based on OL and Boone holding out, no Bowman on D.

DL this is a major factor which has been stated

I think Dept is okay except the obvious DL

Pass Rush Liguet, and players we expect or think can step up need to step up Reyes and Ingram in particular, I don't have high expectation for Freeney anything we get from him will be a bonus, the wild card will be Attaochu if can contribute on pass rush situations

Manti Teo I think if he misses any extended time or unable to make a difference I am okay with Conner starting

Comment

• TABF
                      Por debajo del promedio
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoCal
                      • Send PM

Pan on Manti... I agree... Our D looked real good w/out him v SF. That could be an anomaly, but right now, I like him as option 2 off the bench. He looked absolutely lost v SEA a few weeks back. Dude is sophomore slumping off of a frosh slump. He isn't a bust, but he isn't all world either (yet).

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I don't think Te'o will ever be anywhere close to all world. I would be pleased if he could someday be as good as Billy Ray Smith.

Comment

Working...
                        X