• Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

2019 Post Wk 16 Power Rankings and Ratings

Merry Christmas!
    --
    Frank Schwab - Yahoo Sports 25 (LW 23)

The Chargers ended their weird time in Carson with another awful performance. The idea of an NFL team playing in a smaller venue was actually interesting, and I think we haven’t seen the last of it. The Chargers’ three seasons in Carson weren’t a failure because of the venue, it didn’t work because nobody in Los Angeles cares about the team.

----
    Walter Cherepinsky - Walter Football 26 (LW 19)

The Chargers can't play in Los Angeles much longer. It's embarrassing that they had to go to a silent count at home. I don't understand why they wouldn't move to Portland, Oklahoma City, San Antonio or Utah, where they would have so much more support. I could also see them moving to London, which would force the NFL to re-align its divisions. But it'll be worth it to get the Chargers out of the horrible, poop-infested city of Los Angeles, where they don't belong whatsoever.

----
    Dan Hanzus - NFL.com 25 (LW 21)

The Chargers are done in 2019 after Sunday's season finale against the Chiefs. The question that hangs over this nomadic franchise is whether Sunday will also mark the end of Philip Rivers' long tenure with the team. One answer we do have: Rivers wants to keep playing. "I'm capable enough physically and mentally, there's no question," Rivers said after a 24-17 loss to the Raiders. "Yes, I do want to play football. I do, and that's how I feel deep down as I stand here." Rivers made it clear in his press conference that he's plugged into the outside criticism of his play and the idea that, at 38, he's close to the end of a fine career. Great athletes have a way of using doubters as fuel, and Rivers suddenly has an army of them. You just wonder if the Chargers will give him the chance to do it on their dime.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Pete Prisco - CBS Sports 25 (LW 26)

This season is officially a disaster. When you can't beat the Raiders at home, it's done. The question now is whether Philip Rivers is too.

----
    Mike Florio - PFT/NBC Sports 26 (LW 24)

They exit Dignity Health Sports Park with little or no dignity.

----
    Vinnie Iyer - Sporting News 24 (LW 23)

The Chargers' roller-coaster ride continues, as they're headed to a seven-game drop in the standings from last season. Some of their struggles were tied to injuries, but more with Philip Rivers' inefficiency and inconsistency. They have a tough QB decision to make, but they need to stick with Anthony Lynn.

----
    Matt Verderame - Fansided.com 25 (LW 24)
    The New England Patriots authored a vintage performance on Saturday afternoon, while the Dallas Cowboys may have finally took a fatal loss.

Philip Rivers playing his final game for the Chargers this week?

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Nate Davis - USA Today 26 (LW 25)
      https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ns/2739748001/

As they head into new stadium, remarkable decision to be made under center with apparently fading Philip Rivers set to hit free agency.

----
      Teddy Powers - Covers.com 24 (LW 20)
      Get informed NFL analysis, smart picks, the best odds, stats, and more. Covers' NFL is your one-stop shop for making smarter football bets.

Melvin Gordon, talking about the Chargers experience following their final home game in three seasons at a soccer stadium: “Terrible. I don’t like it. Every game is an away game.”

---
      ESPN 21 (LW 20)
      https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...team-offseason

Offseason in two words: Quarterback uncertainty

Heading into the offseason after head coach Anthony Lynn's first losing record, the Chargers have major questions to answer at quarterback for the first time in more than a decade. Philip Rivers, 38, had an up-and-down season, and he is in the final year of his contract. Rivers would like to return in 2020, but does the front office want him back? Or are the Chargers ready to move on and either select a quarterback early in the draft or sign someone else in free agency? What happens at quarterback will be the top storyline for the Chargers this offseason. -- Eric D. Williams

----
      MMQB SI.COM 23 (LW 20)
      https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/24/nf...s-49ers-chiefs

Phillip Rivers said he wants to play beyond this season, and you can’t really blame him for attempting to look forward after a fifth loss in six games. The beat goes on for the Chargers in 2019; a ninth one-score loss, an 0-5 mark against the AFC West and an unbelievably bad 19 net rushing yards on 16 carries.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Reddit NFLPowerRankers 24 (LW 23)

The game was boring and predictable. Fall behind early, offense struggles to move the ball, defense lapses but hangs in there, offense slowly figures it out but defense can't stop them in time, lose by a possession...the usual. Oh, also the stadium was entirely Raiders fans, but that's to be expected. There was a mildly interesting stat that occurred early. Apparently, this game was the first time since Rivers became the starting QB that the Chargers' first three drives of a game all ended in three-and-outs. In a season where the offense has looked less and less like a capable NFL offense on a weekly basis, that's kind of amazing.

----
        Bleacher Report Consensus 25 (LW 24)
        Sixteen down, one to go. There's only one more Sunday of NFL action between now and the end of the regular season. The NFL's second season will soon begin, as 12 teams vie for an invitation to Super Bowl LIV in Miami...

The Los Angeles Chargers have suffered loss after loss in front of another team's fans in their own building. Having to use a silent count because of crowd noise at a "home" game has officially gotten on quarterback Philip Rivers' nerves.

"Being someone that remembers what it used to be like at home games, it's pretty bad," Rivers told reporters. "So, again, you appreciate the Chargers fans that are out there. It's disheartening to say the least."

Rivers may not have to deal with that ignominy anymore, and not just because the Chargers are moving into a new stadium. As a disappointing five-win season comes to a close, it's unclear whether the team plans to bring him back in 2020.

ESPN's Eric Williams reported Monday that Rivers wants to play next year—whether it's in L.A. or elsewhere.

"I'm capable enough physically and mentally, there's no question," Rivers said Sunday. "Yes, I do want to play football. I do, and that's how I feel deep down as I stand here."

The question now becomes whether that feeling is mutual.

----
        AP Pro 32 25 (LW 23)

<no blurb>

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Rankings Summary:

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Football Outsiders DVOA:

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Ratings Summary:

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

In other words, the Chargers are not a very good team...'nuff said...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

stunning to see ESPN have them as high as 20. i can't read how they found 12 worse teams ...
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    In other words, the Chargers are not a very good team...'nuff said...
                    Fail For LA.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Updated Ratings Summary.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                        Superbowl?
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Los Angeles/Chicago
                        • Send PM

The beginning of the season still bothers me.

It all started with MG holding out, changed the whole vibe as I went from optimistic to cautious then with the injuries worried then the refs in Detroit and Tennessee pessimistic.

Had we won in Detroit like we should have and in Tennessee would that of reversed the mojo or would we be sitting at only 7-8 right now?

Comment

Working...
                        X