• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Watch any NFL game this entire year and you'll see that every single team does this.
    Absolutely. My son is big Steelers fan and we watched their last game together. Steelers did this almost every third down.
    TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Lombo has been trying to force Herbie to pass the rock short like Brees did, especially his last few years before retirement when he had a semi-noodle arm...meanwhile, Herbie has a gun of an arm and can make ALL the passes, not just those 5-yd. stick routes short of the first down marker...
      I hope Lombardi goes after this season. He needs to go. He can get a job as QB coach under Payton. But the short passes and screens I think are sometimes being used because the Chargers cannot run the ball. So Lombardi does that to compensate.
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
        I think everyone (not our board brotherhood, I mean writers and media) are underestimating what it is going to take to wrest Payton from the Saints. Remember, they control his future. He left under contract. When Gruden went to the Buccaneers, I think the Raiders got two first round picks and some other picks, too. Saints are going to at least expect that. And Payton will want big money, like the kind of money Al Davis’ kid through at Gruden to come back to the Raiders. And Payton is going to want the front office structured the way he wants. I don’t think he wants to be the GM but he will want his guy brought in and will want the structure to be the way he wants it.

So it has to be a team that:

1. Already has a lot of talent, especially in the QB
        2. Has the draft picks to give the Saints and getting back to item 1, has enough talent that the team will be good even absent a couple number ones
        3. Has an owner rich enough to pay what Payton wants
        4. Has an owner willing to blow up the front office
        5. Is a team that Fangio (if that rumor is true) will want to go to
        6. Is convinced they need to move on from the current coach.

Looking at all that, I see Raiders and Broncos not making the cut because they don’t meet enough of the criteria. Cardinals, maybe? I don’t know enough about their ownership. Chargers and Cowboys don’t make sense. Staley did enough to stay another year. McCarthy has the Cowboys playing well at the end of the regular season.

I think if Payton coaches again next season it is down to two teams: the Cardinals and the Saints. Yes, the Saints.

While we are talking rumors and conjecture, I can see Brady going to the Raiders next season and Raiders dumping Carr.

TG
        The Broncos don't have a first or second round pick next year, so unless Payton thinks he can fix Wilson, that destination just makes no sense, unless he really wants to oversee a long rebuild.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

So... Raiders' HC Josh McDaniels "isn't ruling out" benching Derek Carr.

Raiders coach Josh McDaniels doesn't dismiss possibility of benching QB Derek Carr (nfl.com)

This, along with the Bolts ​getting into the postseason?!? Merry Christmas to all!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

The Broncos don't have a first or second round pick next year, so unless Payton thinks he can fix Wilson, that destination just makes no sense, unless he really wants to oversee a long rebuild.
            The Broncos have no #1 OR #2 pick next spring, having traded both away in the Russell Wilson deal.

Russell Wilson trade details

Broncos get:
            • QB Russell Wilson
            • 2022 fourth-round pick

Seahawks get:
            • QB Drew Lock
            • DT Shelby Harris
            • TE Noah Fant
            • 2022 first-round pick
            • 2022 second-round pick
            • 2022 fifth-round pick
            • 2023 first-round pick
            • 2023 second-round pick

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

To clarify: Broncos dealt Edge Bradley Chubb to Miami, recouping the 1st Round pick and the 26th overall in the 2023 draft.
              26 Denver (from San Francisco thru Miami)

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Raiders coach Josh McDaniels doesn't dismiss possibility of benching QB Derek Carr (nfl.com)

This, along with the Bolts ​getting into the postseason?!? Merry Christmas to all!
                Well that would be a mistake. His backup is Jarett Stidham and he is definitely not an upgrade.

I don't know where he thinks he's going to get better quarterback play from what they got on their roster but if he wants better QB play they need to draft a QB high and wait a couple years for him to get better or trade for a vet thats better than Carr.

Maybe he will pursue Tom Brady.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Well that would be a mistake. His backup is Jarett Stidham and he is definitely not an upgrade.

I don't know where he thinks he's going to get better quarterback play from what they got on their roster but if he wants better QB play they need to draft a QB high and wait a couple years for him to get better or trade for a vet thats better than Carr.

Benching Carr would be about making a statement, not about improving the team's play. It would be yet another indication that the Raiders don't have a stable base to build upon.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I don't recall where I saw it, but I think Carr's contract is simiar to Matt Ryan, where if Carr is healthy at a certain date, cutting him is less costly than if he ended up hurt. Benching then would be helpful as to his cost to the team.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Mr. Dinky (Derek Carr) has an INT in five straight games, tossing nine total since Week 12, which is the most in the NFL. So if Carr leads the NFL in INTs, I'm with McDaniels, put in Stidham who was scheduled to replace Brady in NE until Cam Newton supplanted Stidham.

Chargers eliminated the Raiders from playoff contention last night. What is there to lose by sitting the league's interception leader?

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Chargers eliminated the Raiders from playoff contention last night. What is there to lose by sitting the league's interception leader?
                        I posted this elsewhere, but the Raiders are barely alive, need a win out vs. SF and KC, and the right combination of losses by Jets, Dolphins, Patriots and Steelers.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I get the short of the sticks you refer to but sometimes our players has to make a couple yards. Palmer caught one short of the sticks and he got a few YAC to make a first down. So did MW. Nobody said a word about those being caught short of the sticks because our WRs converted.

We had a WR type screen play tonight to MW, which really was more a short pass. Think it was the sidearm throw to him with a defender in his face,.....that made some good yardage. Usually the blocking execution on those is atrocious.
                          Exactly! WR's find open spots in the zone... whether that is at the sticks or 2 yards before. After the catch, it's the WR's job to get those extra yards.
                          If a DB is allowing a WR to catch @the sticks... they are not doing their job.

BTW... one of my favorite plays was the ASJ interception. He came from the outside CB position to undercut the route. He was able to do this because he could release from his outside assignment (safety help over the top). QB was watching the deep safety but not noticing what ASJ was doing. Beautiful coverage design... something we heard about when Staley got hired. Disguising coverages may pay-off in the playoffs. The defense is peaking at the right time.

Comment

Working...
                          X