Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

That's fine but when did the NFL transform itself into the executive Golden Parachute platform. There should be a max cost for this and not a $50 mil deal. Mark my words...this deal will have negative ramifications on future contracts as well as the Russel Wilson debacle.
    The owners accept these risks when they award contracts to players with significant guarantees. These contracts are negotiated in a free market. Nobody is forcing the owners into making these deals. And I think most owners know their NFL game is a brutal sport with a high risk of injury and understand that players need protection from an injury wiping out their future earning potential.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

The owners accept these risks when they award contracts to players with significant guarantees. These contracts are negotiated in a free market. Nobody is forcing the owners into making these deals. And I think most owners know their NFL game is a brutal sport with a high risk of injury and understand that players need protection from an injury wiping out their future earning potential.
      That's what I'm saying...Risk Aversion is coming! Stay Tuned!
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

That's fine but when did the NFL transform itself into the executive Golden Parachute platform. There should be a max cost for this and not a $50 mil deal. Mark my words...this deal will have negative ramifications on future contracts as well as the Russel Wilson debacle.
        The teams have insurance for these contracts for injuries and such. Not all do but the smart ones do. So maybe Dean does not.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          It's a tough question. Going back about fifty years, the owners refused to guarantee a player's salary. After a bit some of them started using the guarantee to attact players.0 Soon, everyone was doing it. So in a way, the owners brought this problem on themselves.
          Yup - and Players figured out that giant contracts with huge out-year payment weighting weren’t worth the paper they were written on. Owners routinely cut players the year they were scheduled to start getting the big money. the best players, and their agents, began insisting on min guarantees. The CAP era introduced the accounting game of big up front signing bonus that could be spread over the entire contract duration.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

The teams have insurance for these contracts for injuries and such. Not all do but the smart ones do. So maybe Dean does not.
            Lol, i see what you did there

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

It's not the contractual amount that kills teams it's the guaranteed money aspect of it. I think there needs to be an NFL players lemon law enacted. :>)
              Get over it. There’s far worse “lemons” around the league. See Russell Wilson for example.

If JCJ hadn’t been injured, we wouldn’t have seen the reemergence of Michael Davis who is playing as well as we hoped for in JCJ.

So compared to most injuries or investments that haven’t worked out, this JCJ Charger injury hasn’t hurt play quality.

And if JCJ can recover….the Chargers secondary is in fantastic shape because otherwise, they might have shitcanned Davis prematurely.

Hopefully, there’s some way of ascertaining JCJ’s recovery before the draft and FA so Telesco doesn’t have to get another CB.

I think that’s a looming big decision point that could go either way.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Get over it. There’s far worse “lemons” around the league. See Russell Wilson for example.

If JCJ hadn’t been injured, we wouldn’t have seen the reemergence of Michael Davis who is playing as well as we hoped for in JCJ.

So compared to most injuries or investments that haven’t worked out, this JCJ Charger injury hasn’t hurt play quality.

And if JCJ can recover….the Chargers secondary is in fantastic shape because otherwise, they might have shitcanned Davis prematurely.

Hopefully, there’s some way of ascertaining JCJ’s recovery before the draft and FA so Telesco doesn’t have to get another CB.

generally agree, though I’d posit that we saw Vito’s much improved play even before JCJ was hurt. And I am optimistic that JCJ was just a slower version of what we saw all across the defense - guys took longer than expected to learn to thrive in Staley’s scheme, and Staley adjusted it some based on what they were doing best. If JCJ had played all year, the light may have come on for him just like it did for many on defense 4 weeks ago.

Lets all hope he comes back able to play at a high level next year and we also find a way to keep Vato. With ASJ, Derwin, Alohi, Adderley, Taylor, Woods maturation, etc. … that could be a hell of a deep secondary!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

generally agree, though I’d posit that we saw Vito’s much improved play even before JCJ was hurt. And I am optimistic that JCJ was just a slower version of what we saw all across the defense - guys took longer than expected to learn to thrive in Staley’s scheme, and Staley adjusted it some based on what they were doing best. If JCJ had played all year, the light may have come on for him just like it did for many on defense 4 weeks ago.

Lets all hope he comes back able to play at a high level next year and we also find a way to keep Vato. With ASJ, Derwin, Alohi, Adderley, Taylor, Woods maturation, etc. … that could be a hell of a deep secondary!
                  Michael davis is under contract thru the 2023 season, he’s not going anywhere, if anything, they’re probably going to extend him to reduce his cap hit in 2023,

jc jackson is the big unknown now, he suffered a career threatening type of injury and has had legal issues since, I’m not sure he’ll be around going forward…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Im not sure JC will recover enough to start next season let alone before the draft.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                      Dea Spanos my HERO
                      • Dec 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

jc jackson is the big unknown now, he suffered a career threatening type of injury and has had legal issues since, I’m not sure he’ll be around going forward…
                      I am stumped why he was arrested in PROBATE court which is for matters of estate and WILLS. I don't think probate court handles child support matters or do they ?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Michael davis is under contract thru the 2023 season, he’s not going anywhere, if anything, they’re probably going to extend him to reduce his cap hit in 2023,

Many here wonder if MD will be a cap casualty instead. I vote no on that, per your strategy. JCJ is a huge unknown - however the cap hit to just cut him is way too steep, they will have to ride it out and see what happens imo.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post

I am stumped why he was arrested in PROBATE court which is for matters of estate and WILLS. I don't think probate court handles child support matters or do they ?
                          Its very odd, which is why to me i am guessing (wishful hoping?) its a paternity related dispute and the mother got a judge to slap him. Its weird nobody knows what the actual exact charge is … still. For general crimes its public knowlege - i think only family related items get shielded but no expert on whatever law in whatever state it was in (MA?)

Comment

Working...
                          X